Do I need to connect the extra 4-pin 12v connector on motherboard?

jpinard

Limp Gawd
I have the new Gigabyte z390 Aorus motherboard and besides the normal power connector and the 8 pin 12v connector, there is a 4-pin 12v spot as well. Do I need to hook that up? My Corsair modular power supply didn’t actually come with a 4-pin 12v cable.

Thanks for the help!

Reading the manual, it appears to just be a second connector for extra current should your overclocking require it. It's likely not required for normal operation.

EDIT

Well it talks about it in the manual.

1/2) ATX_12V_2X4_1/ATX_12V_2X4_2/ATX (2x4 12V Power Connector and 2x12 Main Power Connector) With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation. The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start. To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand high power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.

I called and while i was on hold for an eternity, I’d did finally get a tech. He said it is for overclocking like you said, but since I have a 1,000 Watt PSU I should not need the extra connection. I am going to see if I can get a high stable OC without but I ordered a cable to add, which I’ll just keep in.

Back