Do I need new VC, new driver install, or HD, or ???

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
This happened just after Christmas 2016:

OK, so it's over 7 years old (SkaarjMasterDuo computer in sig) and has glitched a little over the past 2-3 years, but what it did tonight was bizarre:

1. Locked up when I was switching screen in Google Chrome
2. Rebooted and extra "......" appeared all over screen and bootup stuff was a little messes up, then windows eventually gave BSOD (rebooted and another BSOD), so
3. Rebooted and same thing (now I was nervous) but then it gave pixelated glitches with a "Minecraft-like" appearance (so I figured maybe only the video card), so
4. I opened it up and cleaned all dust inside with canned-air, then
5. Rebooted and same thing, so
6. I decided to try and copy data to my laptop, but it wouldn't recognize the old computer with pixelated screen on.

At this point, I figured it might be toast, so I rebooted one more time and it actually booted into Windows no problem. I transfered some important data to laptop, disk imaged a few partitions.

Well, it seemed to be working fine all day yesterday (even though I was a little paranoid and still using the laptop for work); it was on all day yesterday and booted up fine this morning. I'm guessing it was just too much dust on video card again like has happened in the past over the past 3 years every now and then. Although, some thing that could be wrong online shows as:
- overheating (in my case from the dust)
- damaged video drivers (but they also say this would happen like every day and not just short events if this was case)
- failing hardware (monitor or video card; also would happen more often if the case)
- RAM problems (also would happen more often)
- power-related problems (might be something to this as we just moved into a new place)

Well, it was sort of a single event but with multiple reboots. It's still running fine and I'm backing up stuff as I do it now or I just using the laptop. I believe the first BSOD file error file began with an NV, so that's why I thought too much dust on the Nvidia video card. I think I'm going to start cleaning once a month instead of once every 3-4 months with this old system. Thank you and I will look at the other BSOD files.

Examined the minidump files, but not sure how to print them even though I believe I knew how many years ago. Both files say that nv4_disp.dll is probably the cause. Searching for this file seems to indicate video driver problems, but in my case I know it's because of too much dust accumulated on certain parts of the video card.

Happened again a few days ago (March 2017):

Same thing just happened again, but this time the morning after cleaning out it still is pixelating with nv4_disp.dll blue screen eventually appearing (computer will not boot up and not recognized by router, other computer...). Video card (fan) and everything else seems to be running when I turn on computer.

Also, just read something that says bad hard drive could corrupt this file. What are the odds of this happening?

Also, tried getting into bios (which is also way to get into safe mode) with DEL key and cannot move keyboard arrows up and down to highlight safe mode with networking (keyboard is not USB).

If I need to replace the video card, I guess I'm looking at this one (GTX750ti):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814487024
- looking at specs though, I'm worried about PCI Express 3.0, will that even fit my MBs PCIEX16_1 slot? Also, hope it doesn't need DX12.

Maybe this one instead (it's PCI Express 2.0, which my MB supports):
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-.../dp/B003EEMFTI

Anyway, cleaned out case very well, reconnected video card, HD connections, and reset RAM. Rebooted and finally got into safe mode, saved all data needed. I'm guessing now I need to try the chkdsk or windows repair, correct?

I cant even get into Windows now though, so cant check anything. It's trying to chkdsk on reboot and flaked out after about an hour, so I did it again and it's been about an hour and a half so far......

Do you think I need to order a new video card or is it the nv4_disp.dll file on the hard drive?

WAIT....we might have some progress; looks like it was rebooting, while it did it again I made it go into safe mode, then rebooted normally...I am now in Windows and will check GPU temps with GPU-Z
GPU temp 68 deg C (was 63 initially and now 71 after about 4 minutes)
PCB temp 51 deg C
GPU temp 60.5 deg C (was 58....now 63...)
PCB temp 51 deg C
but they seem to keep rising....hmmmmm
(turning off for the night)

I was going to let it go longer, but someone online says anything above 75 and he cleans out the dust in his case. What do you guys think is going on? Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if you can, pull the drive and test it on another system. also test/replace your cmos battery.

CMOS battery is fine and I'm not even losing time. Can't test the HD yet, but I will if I have to. What does it sound like is most likely at this time to you?

did you test it or are you just assuming the battery is good? that system is oooold and a dying cmos batteries will cause all sort of weird issues but not necessarily loose time.
don't know, time to start troubleshooting. youre probably gonna need parts.

Why would you even think or suggest I didn't test it? Either help me or don't, I really don't care at this point.

Now the only way to get my laptop to recognize the desktop HD is booting up the desktop in safemode. Any chance this could just be the video card flaking out and original thermal paste drying up on one or both of the GPUs? I do intend to test the HD, but I would like to rule out other things first. Thank you.

Back