Do i need a seperate router and best way to do it.

dhodson66

Weaksauce
I recently switched to 1 gig service with AT&T. Previously i had comcast 125 down. With the comcast, i had my own router behind the modem, ASUS AC87U. I have my house hardwired. Behind the router i have a 30 connection or so gigabit switch. Those 30 connections run either directly to a device or to a small switch. For instance i have one that goes near my tv and this smaller switch then connects to the tv, xbox, directv, sonos. Thus in total i have about 50-60 devices on my intranet. With AT&T they provide a combo modem/router and dont seem to have any just modem options. I have a pace 5268AC. When the tech came to set the modem up, he was unfamiliar with any method of hooking it to my current router so i wound up just hooking the pace to my initial switch and going from there. The tech demonstrated about 800 down when here a few weeks ago. Ive been away with work and now want to tweak the system. When i check my speeds from one of my computers i get about 300 down. I have some concerns that im trying to address and would like some advice. The first is im trying to understand if the Pace 5268AC is appropriate for routing the number of devices i have. I also have a new tp-link AC5400 that i had purchased hoping that this would be an improvement over my ASUS. So my first concern really is will i improve anything (either internet speeds for some wired devices or speed within my own network for managing files etc) by finding a way to use one of my routers instead of the Pace and if so how do i go about doing it. There just doesnt seem to be a bypass sort of function on the pace menu when i access the device or way to disable DHCP. I also need to improve WIFI range. The Pace just doesnt reach the entire house like the Asus does. Im pretty sure i can set my other routers in an AP only mode (replacing one of my smaller switches) to just increase WIFI range but is that the best way to go about it. Thank you for any input or recommendations.

1. Bridge mode is here: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Pace_5268AC#Bridged_mode

2. ALWAYS use you own router rather the ISPs! The ISPs are needing to buy units in bulk for use with customers and because of this they always skimp on hardware to save a buck. Using the asus as the router should boost overall speed of everything

3. Asus seems to be the best at consumer wireless ay the moment, but for single APs. The best method for reaching a larger area that an asus wont reach thou is to pick up a few ubiquiti APs for seamless roaming. I've used the AC lites and pros and the pros seems to work a bit better plus have a second lan port for passthru.

thanks for the reply
unfortunately AT&T has not upgraded the firmware on the Pace so the bridge option doesnt exist and their custom firmware doesnt allow any option for flashing it. You have to wait until they push an update.
again thanks for the reply

Back