Do I 'need' a PS3?

Åndhrimnir

Limp Gawd
Hello console gamers!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a PS3 - but I'm not totally convinced that it would bring anything new to my gaming experience. I have a gaming PC, so the console would mainly be bringing me exclusive games that aren't released for Windows, and capability to play Blu-Ray movies (which would be cool since my local video store has nice prices on renting BD movies).

Can someone advise me on whether (in their opinion) these features are worth the $250-$300?

I'm up in the air...

Yes, especially if you don't already have a Blu-Ray drive for your PC. Even then, PS3 + large HDTV > PC for watching Blu-Rays in most cases. But the PS3 exclusives really seal the deal if you are interested in them. There are quite a few now that are worth owning, which wasn't the case when the PS3 first came out. Uncharted 1 + 2, MGS4, Demon's Souls, LBP, etc...there are many more but you probably already know what games you are interested in.

I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, but I don't regret owning the current crop of consoles for their exclusives.

Do you need a PS3? How would anyone know that but you? It all boils down to if you want to play the games that are on the PS3, that you can't play on a PC. Too subjective.

I think it depends on your gaming habits. I'm more of a social gamer. The majority of my friends migrated to consoles over the last 2-3 years and for me it turned out to be a good investment. In fact many of the games I purchase now are mostly console for the multiplayer. This is someone that played competetively with Quake 1 and 2 via keyboard and mouse. Controllers will never be my interface of choice, but it's becomes less of a burden the more time you use it and to me it's a small sacrifice to play with more of my friends.

If your already in the market for a Blu-Ray player, the PS3 is one of the better options. I find myself buying less movies lately and renting is the way to go for my habits. If you have a local cheap source that would be a bonus. Only thing you may want to be aware of is if you plan on using a universal remote (like a logitech harmony) it will not work out of the box. Most stand alone players will utilize IR, but the playstation utilizes bluetooth. Harmony sells a converter, but it's pretty price ($50).

Last edited:
You don't need others to convince you to buy something. If you aren't convinced, don't buy it, it's that simple, when YOU feel convinced of your own doing, then buy it, that way you'll only have yourself to blame if you're not happy.

Buyers remorse is less frequent when an informed buyer makes the decision to purchase something as opposed to an uninformed buyer just diving headfirst.

But to the topic at haand, the PS3 has it's plusses. Remember the popular reason for buying a PS3 over a 360 isn't only because of Blu-Ray, but its exclusives and one other salient fact that most good 360 games end up being ported to PC if they are NOT ported to PS3.

That factored into my decision to buy a PS3, that and the big failure that is the RRoD.

I will beat that dead horse all I want.

As long as I've done my job by making you feel somewhat informed, then I feel good.

Edit:

one disclaimer I will make however. I dont play my ps3 online, I dont play multiplayer games on it, I buy games for the single player experience only on PS3. The PC is my multiplayer platform of choice and I see it remaining so for the foreseeable future.

As far as multiplayer goes, if that's one of your considerations, then you should really purchase whichever console your FRIENDS have, otherwise you''ll feel left out if you own a PS3 while they all own 360's and you wanna play with them, or vice versa.

This is the only situation I'll actually recommend getting a 360 for lol, althought admittedly, the Xbox Live experience is probably vastly superior to the PS3 experience for many reasons.

PS3 exclusive games totally kick ass. My PC + PS3 is for the serious win.

PS3 exclusive games totally kick ass. My PC + PS3 is for the serious win.

I agree

and if the OP reads my post and yours and thinks he'd feel the same way me and you do, he'll probably buy it.

I couldn't be more satisfied with my purchase.

you do not HAVE to buy this, but I'd recommend buying the Blu-Ray remote, it can be had cheap, for just over/under $20 at many places

Sounds like you need a Blu Ray player, not a PS3. Blu Ray players can be found for under $100 if you shop online.

edit. A coworker of mine just dealt with this last week. He was set on the PS3 but then realized he already has his PC, and 360 and didn't feel like being compelled to spend money on exclusives to support another platform. He knew in the end, he would end up spending more money on games than he already should be. He told me he went with a stand alone BR player and couldnt be happier. He got what he wanted for a cheaper price with no temptation to spend even more money down the line. This sounds just like you.

My best recommendation if you plan on renting is to avoid BR altogether. Its a format that isn't necessary if you ask me. For renting you have so many options, Netflix being one of them. You can stream Netflix movies down to your TV (in HD mind you) with a multitude of devices that cost much much less than a PS3. Also, Netflix costs $8 a month and its unlimited streaming, including HD feeds.

If you're looking to rent HD movies, stream Netflix for $8/mo.
If you're a movie collector, get a BR player and buy BD ($19-30 each)
If you're a movie collector interested in playing some PS3 exclusives . get the PS3. ($19-30 + $60 each)

double edit. I stream all my HD content and watch the money remain in my checking account(s). Keeps my wife that much happier, which keeps me that much happier lol.

Last edited:
I've long considered buying a PS3, but given I have a gaming PC it really didn't seem worth it. Bluray discs are still too expensive for me to consider buying them, so that aspect didn't really draw me at all.

When the PS3 slim first came out I was pretty tempted to get one, but then I thought there was only a handful of games I'd actually want to play it really didn't seem worth it. Several hundred dollars for a handful of games, when there's plenty of good PC games I haven't even touched?

If GT5 had come out at the start of this year like the rumors were saying I probably would have bought a PS3, instead I upgraded my PC with an i5 750 and a nice new soundcard (Xonar Essence ST).

Plus, most multiplatform games are best on PC, and the ones that are only on console seem to usually be better on a 360.

Yes, P3Smediaserver + PC + Br player was worth it for me, i bought it more as a media center instead of an HTPC system.

I picked up a ps3 on a whim saturday. Got 4 games with it.
Killzone 2 - Good
Uncharted - Bad ass
Resistance 2 - Bad ass
Warhawk - meh tought it was going to be like the original

I have went through 3 360s due to red ring. Im not buying another one. I am really impressed by the ps3. So much so, that my media center pc is getting moved back into the office. Just for kicks last night I plugged in my wireless mouse and ill be damned if it didnt control the XMB, gives you a proper cursor in the browser too.

Went to the playstation store and HOT DAMN there was Final Fantasy 7, Red Alert Retaliation and Twisted metal 2. Damn near made me cry out with glee.

The bluerays look alot better than the 12 gig 1080p rips that are out there. Main difference I could tell was no artifacting in dark scenes.

I would give it a shot if I were you. I just wished I would have bought demon souls with it. (was too scared). Now I have to wait until I get paid.

oh sir, i highly recommend Demon's Souls, I don't know if you will conquer your fear of it, but I guarantee if you keep plugging away, in 2 hours you'll be shaving your muttonchops and be ready to ship off on the next boat to fight the Kaiser.

If you're already a man, you'll become a bizarre double man!

For what its worth, when we brought mine home and set it up. My cousin logged into his psn and downloaded all of his games. Now they are installed on my ps3 and I can play them logged into my account.

I'm not a console gamer at all, but I bought a PS3 when I got an HDTV a year and a half ago and I don't regret it. It's a great BR/DVD player, streams media from my PC to my HDTV/stereo system and I've even found some arcade style games that I like on it. Worthwhile enough that I'm fine with the $500 I paid for it. Now that the price is down to ~$300, I think it's an even better deal.

I'm not a console gamer at all, but I bought a PS3 when I got an HDTV a year and a half ago and I don't regret it. It's a great BR/DVD player, streams media from my PC to my HDTV/stereo system and I've even found some arcade style games that I like on it. Worthwhile enough that I'm fine with the $500 I paid for it. Now that the price is down to ~$300, I think it's an even better deal.

This was me too. I got the $500 FAT version and am happy. As others have said, the exclusive PS3 games, although limited, are really good now. Matter of fact, the only games I own on it are the PS3 exclusives. I'd like to add this is the first console I've had since the Atari 2600 (yes, I'm old).

One thing no one has mentioned so far, the PS3 has the best upscaling out there for your current DVDs. Honestly, I'm hard pressed in telling their not Blu-Rays, and yes, it is the upscaling feature and not my eyes. Free online, folding, media server, etc doesn't hurt either. They are always adding stuff to it.

It will bring something new to your gaming experience if the PS3 exclusives are the sort of games you really enjoy. It's been said before I think, but checkout some gameplay videos of Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2, inFamous, Demon's Souls, God of War 3, etc. I wanted my PS3 almost specifically for GoW, but the BR feature is a bonus and other games you can't get anywhere else have definitely made it worthwhile.

The excuse of buying a PS3 for a blu-ray player is not really valid anymore. When players were the same price (or more) as the PS3, it was an obvious choice. You can easily find a player for less than half the price that will play (and upscale DVDs) just as good.

If you need a console AND a blu-ray player --- well, then you're looking at the right product...

ps3 and Pc gaming for the win.

I do all my multiplayer/fps/strategy games on PC

and like to play the rpgs/uncharted/bayonetta type games on my ps3 :)

The fact is this. You are trying to get us to convince you that you need a PS3 so you can justify the purchase. My advice? Dont deny yourself this. You really do get a lot for the money. The exclusives alone make it worth it I think. Plus I like streaming internet radio (Pandora, ect) over my home theater. Couple that with a blu-ray player with built in wifi and you've got a winner. Also...Demons Souls is not to be missed if you consider yourself a gamer. The feeling of dread, helplessness, terror and amazement is nothing short gaming epicness.

Do this.
Go right now. Get a PS3 and Demons Souls.

Sounds like you need a Blu Ray player, not a PS3. Blu Ray players can be found for under $100 if you shop online.

edit. A coworker of mine just dealt with this last week. He was set on the PS3 but then realized he already has his PC, and 360 and didn't feel like being compelled to spend money on exclusives to support another platform. He knew in the end, he would end up spending more money on games than he already should be. He told me he went with a stand alone BR player and couldnt be happier. He got what he wanted for a cheaper price with no temptation to spend even more money down the line. This sounds just like you.

My best recommendation if you plan on renting is to avoid BR altogether. Its a format that isn't necessary if you ask me. For renting you have so many options, Netflix being one of them. You can stream Netflix movies down to your TV (in HD mind you) with a multitude of devices that cost much much less than a PS3. Also, Netflix costs $8 a month and its unlimited streaming, including HD feeds.

If you're looking to rent HD movies, stream Netflix for $8/mo.
If you're a movie collector, get a BR player and buy BD ($19-30 each)
If you're a movie collector interested in playing some PS3 exclusives . get the PS3. ($19-30 + $60 each)

double edit. I stream all my HD content and watch the money remain in my checking account(s). Keeps my wife that much happier, which keeps me that much happier lol.

I would love to use netflix as well. Just one problem. Their selection sucks, their HD selection REALLY sucks. They almost never have a movie I actually want to see available for download. It's pretty cool for finding random movies, but you cant rely on it at all. As a matter of fact, I can say that 99% of the time I tried to find a movie I wanted, they did not have it for download. So in theory your idea is awesome, but the reality of it is netflix = fail.

Last edited:
I would love to use netflix as well. Just one problem. Their selection sucks, their HD selection REALLY sucks. They almost never have a movie I actually want to see available for download. It's pretty cool for finding random movies, but you cant rely on it at all. As a matter of fact, I can say that 99% of the time I tried to find a movie I wanted, they did not have it for download. So in theory your idea is awesome, but the reality of it is netflix = fail.

I must say, I got curious and looked into Netflix as well...

I am not interested whatsoever in physical DVDs obtained and returned by mail...I was only interested in the streaming feature.

So far I find it quite underwhelming as the selection is really small...

I had been wondering what the fuss was all about, and now I am even more puzzled...

I must say, I got curious and looked into Netflix as well...

I am not interested whatsoever in physical DVDs obtained and returned by mail...I was only interested in the streaming feature.

So far I find it quite underwhelming as the selection is really small...

I had been wondering what the fuss was all about, and now I am even more puzzled...

The Netflix streaming isn't all that and a bag of chips trust me. I've tried it through my PS3 an 360 and my htpc runs the streaming the best and with a htpc you can add stuff to your que and what not and you can't on the consoles.

But its still not great even when it's working at it's best and I'm using a 20m connection:(

Åndhrimnir;1035563349 said:
Hello console gamers!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a PS3 - but I'm not totally convinced that it would bring anything new to my gaming experience. I have a gaming PC, so the console would mainly be bringing me exclusive games that aren't released for Windows, and capability to play Blu-Ray movies (which would be cool since my local video store has nice prices on renting BD movies).

Can someone advise me on whether (in their opinion) these features are worth the $250-$300?

I'm up in the air...

Do what I did: find a friend or family member with a PS3 and play the exclusives you want to play on it. For me, everything of interest is single player, so I just play those when I can. There is not a single game with a multiplayer experience that can compare to the likes of PC gaming multiplayer.

The Netflix streaming isn't all that and a bag of chips trust me. I've tried it through my PS3 an 360 and my htpc runs the streaming the best and with a htpc you can add stuff to your que and what not and you can't on the consoles. (

I'm pretty sure that you can add movies to your queue on the PS3. And while I'll agree that the selection of streaming titles is small relative to the entire Netflix library, unless you consume movies at an insane rate I wouldn't rule out the physical discs. The streaming is more of a supplement to the physical discs, with most of the streaming movies being older classics and more obscure titles. Also, if you have a PS3 or other BluRay player it only costs another couple bucks a month to get your physical discs in BluRay format, which is very nice.

And to the OP, the PS3 is a nice piece of hardware. I don't think I can convince you that you "need" it, but if you want one I can assure you that it's worth the money you'll spend on it.

HD Netflix streaming doesn't work for me since I have a pretty slow internet connection, just barely enough to stream regular netflix content. :(

Well it's funny how a "do I need a PS3" thread turned into a "Netflix=fail" thread...

I don't use Netflix, and I think the PS3 is awesome, just because of the exclusives alone.
On top of that, it's a BD player, it's cheap compared to the first retail price, and it has built in Wi-Fi.

Don't wait any longer, go out and buy one now!

My best recommendation if you plan on renting is to avoid BR altogether. Its a format that isn't necessary if you ask me.

Currently, you cannot get equivalent video and audio quality anywhere else. Blu-ray definitely has a place.

PS3 is an excellent piece of hardware with many useful features and many fun games (exclusive and cross platform). As someone with only a PC, you could definitely benefit gaming wise from having a PS3. Consoles have a lot of gaming content that you just can't get PC. Not just talking about the disc based games either. PSN is loaded with good stuff.

Last edited:

Valid point, I use Netflix with a combination of streamed MKVs from my computer. The nice thing is that in order to watch HD movies these days you are not confined to Blu Ray. BR is great, no its amazing but its costly and when there are more affordable options I'd tend to lean that direction is all.

Currently, you cannot get equivalent video and audio quality anywhere else. Blu-ray definitely has a place.

PS3 is an excellent piece of hardware with many useful features and many fun games (exclusive and cross platform). As someone with only a PC, you could definitely benefit gaming wise from having a PS3. Consoles have a lot of gaming content that you just can't get PC. Not just talking about the disc based games either. PSN is loaded with good stuff.

True Blu Ray does have an edge in quality, but thats quality that my eyes cannot see to be honest. For me, it was a personal decision to simply avoid buying a $100-300 player then stack $20-30 for each subsequent movie on top of that. I have a family I have to provide for on 1 income so I'm wholely satisfied with streaming my HD movies and feeling content with the quality there. Different strokes for different folks, I was just tossing out options.

Valid point, I use Netflix with a combination of streamed MKVs from my computer. The nice thing is that in order to watch HD movies these days you are not confined to Blu Ray. BR is great, no its amazing but its costly and when there are more affordable options I'd tend to lean that direction is all.

True Blu Ray does have an edge in quality, but thats quality that my eyes cannot see to be honest. For me, it was a personal decision to simply avoid buying a $100-300 player then stack $20-30 for each subsequent movie on top of that. I have a family I have to provide for on 1 income so I'm wholely satisfied with streaming my HD movies and feeling content with the quality there. Different strokes for different folks, I was just tossing out options.
Not to mention if you have 2 kids, a wife, and try to keep your media in good shape without some going MIA. I grew so tired of buying the same movie multiple times either from being scratched or lost. I must have purchased Toy Story four different times, and replace several other Disney titles multiple times.

The streaming does have it's upfront cost (software and time) but the return and convenience was beneficial for me.

I do have a blu-ray player and watch the original once, after that it goes to the archive in both digital and physical, with the physical used only as a backup. I'm the same as you as I can tell the difference between the original and streamed copy (3.4GB), but not enough to reach out for the disk when I want to watch a movie.

It sucks that netflix is not more robust in their selection. Streaming always worked fine for what i did watch. It's just a matter of time though before ip tv becomes mainstream. I am with you though, bluray media is just too expensive right now. I guess for now the best bet is to do netflix with the snail mail bd discs + the downloads.

It sucks that netflix is not more robust in their selection. Streaming always worked fine for what i did watch. It's just a matter of time though before ip tv becomes mainstream. I am with you though, bluray media is just too expensive right now. I guess for now the best bet is to do netflix with the snail mail bd discs + the downloads.

incorrect

Blu-Rays can be had for cheap, you just have to know where to look.

Most are under $20 now, even new releases

I would say... buy it! I love my PS3. Great games, great blu-ray player, great media center! You can't go wrong with it.

To the Netflix debate, just add blu-ray to your subscription (I pay $2 extra over DVDs) and you can see the highest possible quality movies without breaking the bank. It was the best move I have made in terms of watching movies. The streaming isn't great (selection and quality), but being able to watch blu-rays without having to purchase the disk is awesome. It has actually probably saved me money as the wife and I go to the movies much less frequently and watch blu-rays from home.

The excuse of buying a PS3 for a blu-ray player is not really valid anymore. When players were the same price (or more) as the PS3, it was an obvious choice. You can easily find a player for less than half the price that will play (and upscale DVDs) just as good.

If you need a console AND a blu-ray player --- well, then you're looking at the right product...

PS3 is still one of the best Blu-Ray players out there.

If you want a bluray player and you are somewhat interested in a few PS3 exclusive games, get the system. Totally worth it.

Do you have any reading comprehension?

I said UNDER $20, which indicates a price of $19.99 or below

Dude seriously. Calm down. Do you just troll internet forums looking for fights all day?

Do you need a PS3? I think thats something your gonna have to figure out for yourself.

Back