Do I Need a New PSU?

All,

My system is over 4 years old now and my specs are in my sig below. I have the BFG 1000W PSU and noticed when I am going into standby, it does it but when I come out of it I have to turn the computer on with the switch instead of just hitting the spacebar. Just yesterday, I turn the power on then off - the mobo doesn't start up. I have to unplug the PSU then plug back in. Now just 5 min ago, I go through that again turn the main PSU switch on and hit the on button and only the fans spin slightly then go off.

I'm wondering if this thing is done for....

Thx

I would be more inclined to blame the motherboard or bios or a recent change in hardware/software. Nothing you mentioned indicates a failing power supply. Glitchy sleep mode/wake up. Motherboard dying (680i's have a reputation for quirks and trouble).

Get some more opinions but perhaps later if the guys here do not come up with something I am not seeing, close this post and see what the guys in the Intel Motherboard section of the forum have to say.

If you have a voltmeter you might check the voltage on the power good signal (gray wire pin 8 in the ATX main power connector and the PS_on (green wire pin 16).

PS_on should go to about 0V when you press and hold the front power switch. (its a signal wire not a voltage wire, shorting the green PS_on tells the power supply to start up. )

PWR_ok should be at a low or no voltage but within a second from trurning the supply on it should go to somewhere above 4V. (+5 is put on this wire by the power supply when the power supply determines it has fully started up and ready to supply power and the motherboard requires it to boot.)

But it does not sound like power supply to me with the info you gave.

What was the last thing you changed about the computer just before you noticed this starting to happen ?

Last edited:
I would be more inclined to blame the motherboard or bios or a recent change in hardware/software. Nothing you mentioned indicates a failing power supply. Glitchy sleep mode/wake up. Motherboard dying (680i's have a reputation for quirks and trouble).

Get some more opinions but perhaps later if the guys here do not come up with something I am not seeing, close this post and see what the guys in the Intel Motherboard section of the forum have to say.

If you have a voltmeter you might check the voltage on the power good signal (gray wire pin 8 in the ATX main power connector and the PS_on (green wire pin 16).

PS_on should go to about 0V when you press and hold the front power switch. (its a signal wire not a voltage wire, shorting the green PS_on tells the power supply to start up. )

PWR_ok should be at a low or no voltage but within a second from trurning the supply on it should go to somewhere above 4V. (+5 is put on this wire by the power supply when the power supply determines it has fully started up and ready to supply power and the motherboard requires it to boot.)

But it does not sound like power supply to me with the info you gave.

What was the last thing you changed about the computer just before you noticed this starting to happen ?

No this just happened out of the blue but gradually - from me just pushing the power button on, fans spin and nothing - then completely powering off in the back turning back on system would function. After shutdown same thing. Then finally I wasn't able to power on at all.

Back