Do I Need A New PSU? New AMD Card Purchase

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Please view my specs in my signature. I wish to replace my aging MSI 7970 OC with a new AMD Direct X 12 card (probably a Fury) which I believe requires 2x8 pin power connectors. Does my Corsair HX Series 620W PSU have enough juice and the right power connectors to run a card like this? Or would I need to buy a new PSU?

I'd honestly look into a new PSU. That's a pretty old unit and 3 12v rails isn't recommended for a high end gaming rig. 1 12v rail is preferred.

If you're in the states, newegg sells the Rosewill Capstone and it's one of the better bang for the buck PSU's. 650 watts would be just fine for any single GPU solution right now. You could probably get away with a 550 watt version too to be honest.

If you're on OCN, PM user by the name Shilka. He's the PSU guru around there.

Rail argument is invalid. A properly done multirail setup is safer than a single rail setup with no downsides.

Fury's power consumption is not all that much higher than a 7970. Your current PSU should be fine.

I'll keep my current PSU then but after seeing the Fury review, I may go get a 980Ti instead. I trust my PSU is also fine to run that?

Back