Do i need a anti-static wrist strap?

In this day and age, I would not even worry about it. 15 years ago, then I would of said it's not a bad idea. But back then, Modems, network cards and soundcards were made as cheap as possible and they were most at risk of static shock hurting them.

So the consensus seems to be to just touch something that is grounded (like the computer chassis) every so often while you are doing your work.

I read some web pages saying you should unplug the computer before doing repairs, but then the computer wouldn't be grounded anymore.

Also, what if you are working on a laptop? I've read that it may not be possible to touch something grounded in a laptop because most laptops don't have a metal chassis.

Or, you can ignore all these posts and build a Faraday cage enclosing your build station. Incorporate a de-Gaussing coil, and wear a grounding strap (and also your bike helmet), and you won't have any worries. Plus, you'll have a cool Faraday cage when you're done.

You can keep it plugged in, for the psu/chassis grounding, but TURN OFF the PSU and then, before opening it up, cycle the power switch several times. (Drains the capacitors.) Then open it up. It'd be safer for you to unplug it. Especially since I get the impression this is the first time you're diving in.

I worked for Compaq/HP many many years ago as assembly technician doing server deployment, laptop, desktop, and workstation assembly. In my tool bag I still have my grounding strap they issued us, and I think I have worn it maybe three times since 2004. Since then I have built and repaired dozens if not hundreds of systems. I might be permenantly grounded haha! Like others said I always make sure to ground/discharge any static before touching sensitive components. My advice to noobs that I teach to build is to get one and show them how to touch components correctly (ie; edges of circuit boards) until they feel comfortable without one. I also know people that are very prone to static electricity buildup. These are people that shock themselves several times a day on door knobs and ect. If this is you then you should probably wear a esd strap and take care to discharge often when handling core components!

You need it if you are a pussy and don't understand electrical/static conductivity.

Circuit design engineer here. We use many ESD protection methods and usually send out boards that pass 15kV or higher ratings from an ESD gun. Most of the things you buy have ESD protection on the sensitive lower-voltage signal lines and built into the ICs themselves. I have an ESD mat and anti-static wrist strap that is plugged into the Ground terminal on my wall socket. That's for whenever I'm handling individual components.

Individual components (diodes, transistors, micros, ICs) outside of ESD packaging can be at risk of ESD when handled.
Populated components (everything on your motherboard) are less and less sensitive to ESD as the component count grows.

I have my ESD mat grounded and usually touch a ground before working on my computer, but it's more for circuit prototyping.

I've never used one after many years of pc building and at work.

Use caution, ground yourself to the PSU or metal desk, etc. before reaching in and around stuff, and you'll be fine. When it's winter and dry and the static electricity is up, the previous sentence is even more important.

I've done more damage with tools and stupidity than I ever will with a static discharge.

never use one except for expensive and or mission critical equipment where the 5 minutes of finding a strap and putting it on is much better than explaining to important people why the employees are not getting paid this week or that all of Lois Lerner's emails are all gone You know stuff that causes Major problems and probably get me fired.. or a raise if I where working for the IRS ;-)

Judge the risk, if the loss of a board, cpu, etc.. costs more and causes you more trouble than finding a static strap... use one.

Also you can look at it this way.. what does it hurt to use one? Other than looking silly there isn't a drawback that i know of.

I'm told many devices now are much less susceptible to static than they where 20 years ago but i have no proof one way or the other.

Back