Do i have enough power for my 6800GT?

husker4life

Limp Gawd
I have an Antec 350W PSU and i wondering if thats enough power for the specs i have below. Windows splash screen sometimes appears dimmed from a cold boot, doesnt do it after a warm boot. Ive also had a BSOD machine_check_exception error heres the link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284. Are these problems related to a PSU with not enough juice to handle all these components? Nothing is overclocked in my system. I can play games like HL2 and Doom3 which stress the 6800GT with no lockups or BSODs. I was looking at the antec true blue 480w PSU if you guys recommend i get a better PSU thanks.
1024MB(2x512) XMS corsair memory
80GB IDE Maxtor HD(Master)
120BG IDE WD HD(Slave)
Lite-on DVD/CD RW
Sound blaster audigy 2 zs
Antec SLK3700 Case with 350W PSU
Windows XP SP1, directx 9.0c, Nvidia 67.02 forceware drivers

Yes, that's fine.

I used an A+GPB 350W PSU on my overclocked Athlon 64 (2.4GHz) and overclocked 6800GT (420/1100) with 3 hard drives, 2 optical drives and a couple of PCI cards (WinTV PVR250 and sound card).

i think u should upgrade ur psu to be on the safe side. but if u like to play dangerous, then keep that.

play dangerously? hardly. your psu is fine, you don't need do upgrade.

I agree. I'm running similar components with an Antec TruePower 380W and even with my overclocking and upping voltages everything is running great. You don't have anything PSU-related to worry about.

People have retarded ideas of how much power you need for video cards. Most makers of 6800 GT's recommend 350 Watts, and you can get away with 300 Watts just fine as long as you don't have a ton of drives plugged into your system or something.

Yeah you've got enough juice. I've got a friend running a P4 3.0 w/1 HDD and 2 Opticals, and a 6800GT@400/1100.

All he's got is an Antec TruePower 330.

i have an antec smartpower350 it gets the job done no problem. individual results may vary. im in agreement that you should upgrade your PSU.. the antec will work for now. im getting a 550w soon...

If you're noticing things at boot/post but not in game, then it's likely not the power demands of your 6800GT at all. Your video card isn't going to draw more current at post than when stressing in a 3D game.

350W is probably fine. But then again, more couldn't hurt could it? I'd base the decision entirely on if I were happy with the dressing on my current PSU cables. If I thought the aesthetics of my machine would benefit from a do-over, then I'd be looking at one of modular PSU's that are available now and planning on how I'd be making my system mo' better looking.

Not exactly your question, but at least an honest answer.

The machine_check_exception BSOD on a non-OC'ed system is a concern though. That error is most commonly associated with a processor running out of spec, excessive heat or a faulty component somewhere along the line (which includes a PS not supplying enough power).

The number of watts a PS puts out doesn't mean shit once you're above about 300W. 350W PSUs exist that are way better than a 500Watter. Its all about the number of amps it can pump, especially on the +12V rail. If you don't have somewhere in the mid 20s (and at the very least above 20), you're PS isn't up to snuff and it may be the cause of your specific BSOD. I'd also use Motherboard monitor or some similar program (like Core Center if you have an MSI mobo) to check the number of volts being put out on each rail (+3, +5 and +12V). A deviation of greater than 5% or so should be reason for concern. This is best checked when the PS is really working hard, since its efficiency decreases with increased heat generated.

You're GT should also ideally be on its own line. You've got a bunch of stuff in there, so make sure the vid card isn't sharing power with a HDD or something. Case fans should be fine.

I've had this BSOD while running a 350W Antec PSU on the OC'ed machine in my sig. I pulled out my hair trying to figure it out, and upgrading the PS helped to a 550W beast w/ 30 some odd amps on the +12V rail. It didn't solve the problem, but it helped prevent it most of the time. I ultimately backed down on the OC and the problem disappeared. There's lots of help in the MSI forum on this subject - which may help you even though you don't have an MSI mobo.

At the end of the day, its not easy to compare you're PS with someone else's. Look at the specs yourself and make a judgement about whether they are enough for your computer. Just remember that its WAY safer to have too much power to offer than not enough.

maybe i was a bit paranoid. but i think his comp and his psu are just right for each other(as in the comp needs around that much power and the psu has just enuff). imo its safer to have a 400 watt at least... but hey, i think thats dangerous becuz u have either a little bit of breatheing room or none. maybe i am wrong but i just like to make sure nothing will go wrong. dangerous to me is when u put ur comp at risk, i mean a computer isn't something inexpensive and not everyone can just replace things when they die, i'd rather shell out more to prevent something that CAN happen even tho it maybe unlikely.

I did play around with the overclocking stuff in the bios once, but i discarded changes and exited at least i thought i did, anyway i defaulted the bios after i got the machine_check_exception BSOD hopefully i wont get that again. Plus my 6800GT gets up the in mid 80s during load, i also have cool n quiet disabled, could this cause overheating and damage mobo cpu other components?

A antec 350w is fine. If a shuttle 200/250watt can handle it a antec 350 will definitely handle it...

i hope u do realize those ppl are taking big risks unless if psu's for shuttles are built differently. they are like playing tag in a highway.

psu for shuttles are probably rated lower than they actually are... high quality stuff like the ocz powerstream which is rated at only 520 but can go up to 600w... but maybe i am wrong..

You should be OK. Especially with an Antec power supply. That is a good quality Pwr Supp.

I suppose I'm fine with my Enermax 350w too then? Good.

Does anyone have the link to that computer watts calculator?

Back