Do I even need the 2.4 GHz band?

x509

2[H]4U
All my PCs, laptops, phones, and devices can work with the 5.0 band, most of them at AC speeds. So do I even need the slower 2.4 GHz band?

On my PCs and laptops, I have "forgotten" the 2.4 band in Windows 10.

No unless you need a connection at long range. But if you have different ssids for each band you would need to switch manually

If you're fortunate enough to not have any devices that need the 2.4, no. Dump it.

Guests might need it though, if that's a concern. My honor 6x is only a year old and only supports 2.4. My wifi nvr only supports 2.4. 2.4 is also great if range is an issue (like a front or back yard).

According to your information, you don't need 2.4 GHz right now. However, some "smart home" devices only work on 2.4 GHz, so if you see yourself getting those in the future, you might have a need. You should be able to turn off the 2.4 GHz on your router/access point if having the two networks broadcasting is causing issues.

I actually run 2.4 GHz under a seperate SSID and only connect things like my Nest devices to it. They consume very very little bandwidth and the stability and range of 2.4 is much better than 5 GHz.

Reactions: x509
like this
If you get the range you need on 5.0Ghz and you have no 2.4 devices - then kill off your 2.4. There's no sense crowding an already over-crowded medium if you don't need it.

According to your information, you don't need 2.4 GHz right now. However, some "smart home" devices only work on 2.4 GHz, so if you see yourself getting those in the future, you might have a need. You should be able to turn off the 2.4 GHz on your router/access point if having the two networks broadcasting is causing issues.

I actually run 2.GHz band with a different SSID. What I don't like is when a system or a device picks up the 2.4 band instead of the faster 5.0. That is why I asked. But I appreciate what @Durpity said. So far I'm good. My Amazon Alexa does work on 5.0, and so do both Samsung TVs.

The other option you can look at are access points that support band steering.

Back