Do gamers using steering wheels generally get better laptimes vs control pad?

Steering Wheel vs Control Pad

• Steering Wheel

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Control Pad

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Both are equally good for laptimes

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Depends (on the player, on the specific game, etc)

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

biggles

2[H]4U
I have been playing F1 2013 for the Xbox 360 for the past several weeks. It was given for free on the games with gold promotion. It is a tough game and I am still struggling to keep up with the computer AI on its lowest level.

For racing games in general, do gamers achieve better laptimes with a steering wheel or a control pad?

i'd say it depends on the person.. i use to be a steering wheel fanatic until the forza games came out on xbox and i'd say now i probably wouldn't be able to play a racing game with a steering wheel or at least not one that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money. i prefer using an xbox controller for racing games now.

I drive better with a controller but the wheel and pedals make it more engaging.

I drive better with a controller but the wheel and pedals make it more engaging.

Likewise. I play Assetto and PCars online frequently with a friend. He plays with a 360 pad. I will play with either an X1 pad or a G27, depending on what I feel like digging out. We are both decent racers, but if I play with an X1 pad, I will beat him just about every time in an otherwise 100% equal race. If I play with my G27, we much more frequently trade wins.

I guess the way I see it, using the G27 gives me more precise control over my vehicle, but it also provides more opportunities to make a mistake. For someone who's mastered using a wheel, I think there is no doubt they would have an edge. For an average player, I don't think so. Laptimes aside though, using the wheel makes for a more fun, more immersive experience.

"in general" it depends on the game. A controller doesn't give you as wide of a range for varying steering angle. Games have some sort of speed sensitive steering or steering assist in order to allow you to drive with such a reduced range of motion.

If that steering assist is good, then a controller will be hard to beat with a wheel. If the steering assist is minimal and/or not very good, then a steering wheel will be much easier.

You also have a few other factors like the throttle/brake, I've always found it easier to modulate the triggers on an xbox 360 controller compared to modulating the pedals on a steering wheel setup.

Some games I find it much easier to control the high powered vehicles with a controller simply because they have better steering assists and I have better control over the throttle and brake with the trippers.

BUT, I always prefer a decent wheel when I can set one up for the sake of fun and immersion rather than performance (though some games definitely benefit a wheel more than a controller). Though I haven't been racing with a wheel lately though because my desk/chair arrangement hasn't been well suited to it.

i can't do wheel/pedal setups. my mind looks for the subtle tactile feedback you get with a real vehicle when using them. i do better with a regular controller because my mind doesn't associate it with actually driving.

I'm way better with a force feedback wheel. You can feel the subtle loss of traction in the wheel long before you can notice the direction change on the screen. This makes me quicker to react and minimizes the impact of loss of traction events. It's that ability to feel and push the limits of traction that make using a wheel so much better. Now I want a wheel with force feedback pedals, that would be rad.

You will always be faster with a correct setup wheel. Also, pedals help tremendously as well.

Depends on the person and the game. The Codemasters F1 games are not very friendly to gamepads, in my opinion. In Forza and Gran Turismo, on the other hand, I am just as fast as a lot of wheel users while using a controller. I always prefer the feel of a wheel and pedals, though, regardless whether I'm faster or not.

If the game is realistic then i usually do much better with a wheel if the game is arcade like i do better with a controller.

I also find that some sim racers use subtle steering assists (for example forza/granturismo) when you use a controller vs. using a wheel.

In my very limited experience with both I did better with the controller.

Now this was Forza 2 & 3 with the 360 controller vs the 360 wheel. The wheel was in my lap and not anchored to anything. I'm guessing with a proper wheel/pedal setup I'd do much better.

In my very limited experience with both I did better with the controller.

Now this was Forza 2 & 3 with the 360 controller vs the 360 wheel. The wheel was in my lap and not anchored to anything. I'm guessing with a proper wheel/pedal setup I'd do much better.

Yeah, force feedback wheels are something else entirely. The 360 wheel with Forza games was mostly just an exercise in frustration. Force feedback wheels on modern sims like Assetto Corsa and Project CARS is a whole different thing.

Forza 4 with a Fanatec wheel is amazing, though. I had so much fun in Forza Horizon with my wheel, too.

I think a lot of it depends on the wheel being used. All wheels are not created equal. The game also plays a part too, but I think with a good wheel that is setup properly will beat a controller everytime.

Gamers tend to use controllers. Sim racers tend to use wheels. I don't know if that makes one more right than the other. I think it just has to do with one's level of commitment to the hobby (of sim racing) and financial ability.

I can't stand racing with a controller, but a lot of that is from the analog controller days when steering was done by a series of taps on the stick. I haven't really tried it with a modern controller. However, I think the sensitivity would still make me stick to a wheel over a controller. Plus, as others have said, immersion.

I use a controller and I am almost as fast as wheel users I have done a.handful of league races.in assetto corsa and almost alway finish mid pack. I can lay down a lap that is as fast as the leaders but not lap after lap. I would be more.consistent with a wheel.

I think a lot of it depends on the wheel being used. All wheels are not created equal. The game also plays a part too, but I think with a good wheel that is setup properly will beat a controller everytime.

I picked up the Microsoft wireless wheel for only $50 on Craigslist. It seems like a pretty good wheel if only I could come up with a practical and effective mounting system.

I use both but I much prefer a wheel and pedal setup. If it wasn't for the lazy factor of mounting the wheel I don't think i'd ever use a controller on my PC racers. On my PS4 I use the controller exclusively simply because I have nowhere to mount a wheel. I've been using a Logitech Momo Racing wheel for several years and just today picked up a Logitech G27 that was on sale @ Fry's.

If you haven't tried a wheel/pedal setup, I would highly recommend it. It's a FAAAR more enjoyable experience IMO. When I'm using a controller, I'm just kind of sitting back in my chair and going through the motions. When I'm using a wheel, i'm all up in my monitor trying to nail every apex. Much more immersive.

When folks use a wheel, is it best for sim racers? It seems like some arcade titles would require faster "flicking" actions left and right with the steering wheel. I am thinking f1 games would work well with a wheel, but perhaps not arcade racers like Burnout or Need for Speed.

Also, does a wheel generally work better with an in-car view as opposed to behind the car?

Edit:
One more question, if force feedback a dramatic improvement over standard vibration? Reason I ask is that the MS wireless wheel only does vibration on PC. MS initially said they would release drivers to enable ffb on PC but they never followed through. So I am wondering how the MS wireless wheel would work with Grid Autosport, for example. Better than the Xbox 360 pad I would imagine.

Last edited:
The games I've played are sims or "sim-cade" type racers, that includes NFS Shift and Shift 2 which I prefer with a wheel, you just get a lot more granularity with your steering, throttle and brake inputs. I've never felt like any of these games needed quick flicking motion to play, on the contrary, smooth inputs is what gives me the best lap times. I don't burnout, never played it outside of consoles and that was with a pad. I did play the original GRID which is pretty much pure arcade style, with both a pad and a wheel. In that game, the wheel wasn't as advantageous as the others I've mentioned but still more fun.

I've never used a wheel with vibration only but FFB is a must have in a wheel IMO

I use a keyboard :D for real sim style games I think the pad / wheel can be equal depending on skill level. For Dirt 2 / 3 I was able to get the same or better control just off the keyboard. To each their own, excel with what you prefer :)

i can't do wheel/pedal setups. my mind looks for the subtle tactile feedback you get with a real vehicle when using them. i do better with a regular controller because my mind doesn't associate it with actually driving.

This. I tried the G25 and G27 could never get used to it no matter how hard I tried. It lacked the feedback of a real car and it just felt so awkward. I sold them and went back to a controller, the X1 controller is the best for driving console wise.

The closer to sim style gaming you get the more useful a wheel becomes.

F1 2013 is challenging but not completely sim-like, and IMO actually plays better with a wheel because it requires those smoother inputs. I get better lap times with a controller though.

Back