Do any Radeon R9 390X cards have a DVI-I port?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
Been looking at upgrading the old video card and in order to hook up my TV I need a DVI-I or DVI-A port, seems all the ones I have looked at only has DVI-D. I use a DVI to VGA cord to hook up my TV.

Apparently he wants to hook it up with an adapter cable he already has? Im amazed he has a tv without hdmi. Not to mention they used to include basic adapters with new cards. They not including those anymore?

I'll check, but I don't think my Nitro 390X came with anything for VGA. Maybe though.

Those cheap DVI -> VGA connectors will only work if the DVI port has an analog signal to begin with. They aren't doing any digital to analog conversion.

Those cheap DVI -> VGA connectors will only work if the DVI port has an analog signal to begin with. They aren't doing any digital to analog conversion.
pretend like we all know what that means. Are you saying he needs an active adapter because dsub vga is analog on tv's? help me out

pretend like we all know what that means. Are you saying he needs an active adapter because dsub vga is analog on tv's? help me out
The HDMI -> VGA adapters linked by anther member do digital -> analog conversion. They *should* work fine (read the reviews and don't sue me if they don't;)).

The DVI -> VGA adapter linked doesn't have a chip inside it doing DAC. It would need a DVI-I (digital + analog) or older DVI-A (pure analog) port on the graphics card to produce the necessary analog signal.
If he wanted to use a DVI-D (digital only) port from his graphics card he would need an adapter such as this:
Amazon.com: gofanco® DVI-D to VGA Active Converter - with 3 Feet Micro USB Power Cable for BETTER compatibility and up to 1920x1200@60Hz Black MALE to FEMALE: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wait 2 months and see if the AMD 480 has what you need. Supposedly the 480s will be on par with the 390s in terms of performance, but prices the same as the 380s.

lol thats a good question cause i have yet to see a tv with better than 720p on the vga port. Im going to guess it not op's primary display
A DVI-D port with with a VGA Cable with DVI-A/VGA adapter(if tv input is vga) should work fine with 1080/60

Looks like I am getting a VisionTek Radeon R9 380X 4GB. The price is right, it had both DVI-I and DVI-D and 2 6 pin power ports. I will be buying it Monday or Tuesday when the money gets here unless you all can think of something better for me to get $250.

Last edited:
in newegg there was a reference r9 290 for 200usd. but if you can hold for AMD polaris, do it
Thanks for the lookup but the the R9 390s wont work for me. Ended up buying XFX R9 380X DD XXX OC. The [H] review of the card was favorable except for the lack of overclockability, but I wont be overclocking it anyway.

Thanks for the lookup but the the R9 390s wont work for me. Ended up buying XFX R9 380X DD XXX OC. The [H] review of the card was favorable except for the lack of overclockability, but I wont be overclocking it anyway.
It was a 290 that is 20% faster and it had 2x dvi ports

Dude just spent way too much on the wrong video card just so can use his existing DVI->VGA adpter.

And the TV tops-out at 1080p 60Hz, something ANY active VGA adapter can do quite well. But hey, Diablo2k SWEARS he can't be bothred with the much faster 390 :rolleyes:

It costs a whole 11 bucks to buy a USB-powered 1080p 60 Hz active HDMI to VGA adapter. Sooo pricey!

Amazon.com: Cable Matters Active HDMI to VGA Adapter with Micro-USB Power in White: Computers & Accessories

Actually It is a rather lengthy DVI to VGA cable I am not wanting to replace. I am very satisfied with my new video card, performance is well above my expectations. I know I could have gotten a better card and used an adapter, I was just looking for a clean simple solution.

Actually It is a rather lengthy DVI to VGA cable I am not wanting to replace. I am very satisfied with my new video card, performance is well above my expectations. I know I could have gotten a better card and used an adapter, I was just looking for a clean simple solution.

See, this is why you actually COMMUNICATE WITH THE WORLD instead of pretending you know it all :D

Now how long is the cable run? There are some people on here who have boasted about 50+ foot HDMI runs, so you're not stuck inn the dinosaur age unless you want to be. Thanks to Monoprice, they're not too expensive.

See, this is why you actually COMMUNICATE WITH THE WORLD instead of pretending you know it all :D
Now how long is the cable run? There are some people on here who have boasted about 50+ foot HDMI runs, so you're not stuck inn the dinosaur age unless you want to be. Thanks to Monoprice, they're not too expensive.
if he's tv doesnt have a hdmi input and the old cable works perfect to the eye...What difference does it make? I can see both points on this one.....lets say he's already been using a special audio cable and hook up, when you add an hdmi cable to the setup it can make things very confusing for some people.(getting audio this way and video this other way)

if he's tv doesnt have a hdmi input and the old cable works perfect to the eye...What difference does it make? I can see both points on this one.....lets say he's already been using a special audio cable and hook up, when you add an hdmi cable to the setup it can make things very confusing for some people.(getting audio this way and video this other way)

I think the sticking point is why would you pay more for a lower performing card when you could just also upgrade the cable - and still spend less overall? Some kind of sentimental attachment to the cable? Just about every TV sold in the last 10 years has an HDMI port, if it doesn't then it's likely not even an HDTV - and at that point PC graphics/text will display badly anyway, especially from a low-end 4K-capable video card. Why limit yourself in such a way?

I know ultimately it comes down to whatever he wants to spend his money on, but I have to agree - I don't get it. And asking on [H] resulted in [H] answers...you want {S}oft answers, go to Yahoo! Answers.

Had this same issue, fucking DVI-D. Vga cable long hjigh quality one that drives a 1080p tv.

Just get a unitek/other active adaptor and you can use your 290/390 whatever with impunity.

Back