Do any of you guys use a larger Tablet and the smaller 7" tabs?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have the Ipad 3 now. But sometimes it is a bit big for just reading books....

Is it wise to get a second smaller tablet so that it is easier to read books?

Or do you guys just stick to one tab for everything?

I use my ipad2 for everything in regards to browsing, time killer games, email, and reading books.

I've read 92 books on my ipad this year so far, trying to make it to 100.

If you want a device for reading books, get an e-paper Kindle or Nook for sure. I have many tablets/e-readers (I develop mobile apps) and the two that get the most personal use are my iPad 3 and my Nook Simple Touch. Reading on the iPad is ok, but the e-paper screen on the Nook is amazing for reading text. You can also use Instapaper (and other Android apps) on the Nook which is a nice advantage over the Kindle.

How tablets have shaken out for me over the past couple years:

Kindle for book reading (and free Prime Lending Library stuff).

Nexus 7 for mobile web browsing and email.

iPad 3 for second-screen / videos / games / worlds-best-LTE-hotspot.

TouchPad for listening to podcasts in the shower (because I don't have to give a damn about water damage).

I've got an ASUS Transformer + dock and I'm thinking I'm gonna trade it in for the Nexus 7 soon (or it's successor if I hold off for a while). I've also got a netbook that's way long in the tooth and I wanna replace it with a Win 8 convertible but I want something larger that's more comfortable to work with for a few hours, probably something 11.6-12" rather than 10".

I do find the TF cumbersome for web browsing after a while, I often opt for my phone when I'm on the couch instead of the tablet... And on many a plane ride I think I would've been happier w/a 7" that I can easily hold with one hand. So yeah, 10" is fine if it's your only secondary device (after phone & laptop/desktop) but if you're gonna splurge on several devices I do think 7" is a very attractive form factor.

I wish I could hold some of the Samsung/Amazon 8.9" tablets to get a feel for those but the former have disappeared from retail and the later are only sold direct obviously. The e-paper display devices are definitely worth looking at if book reading's your main usage case for a smaller device tho, since they cause less eye strain (no backlight).

i have a 7 inch tablet but its a pain to sneak into places ;). i think i'm going to check out the note II and be done with it for now :)

still want a bigger tablet for home use though

I have an iPad 2, and a Nexus 7.

I use the iPad 2 for most things, but the Nexus 7 is really nice when I am going to be traveling since it is easier to put in a pocket in my jackets.

I read books, comics, magazines, watch videos, check and respond to e-mail, surf the web, etc on the iPad.

On the Nexus 7 I surf the web, read twitter, check news, check e-mail, and watch videos.

So I can do anything on the smaller on that I do on the larger one, but I use the larger one more.

Back