Do AMD retail box cpus come with heatsink/fans?

I haven't bought a processor in about 5 years, retail boxes usually used to include a cpu cooler, do they still? (I'm looking at the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+)

Thanks.

Yes. The only instance in where they wouldn't is if you bought the OEM versions.

(cf)Eclipse said:
which are harder to come by these days
Newegg is crawling with them, I don't even understand why people by OEM products other than Microsoft Windows.

To the OP: If you end up buying one, here's a tip because it's something I had trouble with and ended up smearing lots of goo on my processor: When you latch the heatsink onto the CPU, it'll require a lot of force, so don't think you'll break the CPU or something...

yes, retail come with HSF and 3-yr warranty, which is partially attached to that HSF, so don't throw it away!

Tylerdurdened said:
Newegg is crawling with them, I don't even understand why people by OEM products other than Microsoft Windows.

Well, I do have a watercooling setup. If I could save the 10 or so dollars for forgoing a heatsink and use my own, of course I would.

Arcygenical said:
Well, I do have a watercooling setup. If I could save the 10 or so dollars for forgoing a heatsink and use my own, of course I would.

except that you'd also be forgoing the warranty. although i suppose you'd void that by using w/cing....

Yeah, but the way things are going, I use a new processor at least every other year... If it dies on me after a year, it's not a huge deal. I buy a new processor, or I wait and use my Mac till I need my PC again.

To date, I've destroyed 5 motherboards, 2 sticks of ram, a GPU and a sound card... But My processors are all fine :).

I'll take cause it's cheaper for $100 alex...

Tylerdurdened said:

To the OP: If you end up buying one, here's a tip because it's something I had trouble with and ended up smearing lots of goo on my processor: When you latch the heatsink onto the CPU, it'll require a lot of force, so don't think you'll break the CPU or something...

Back