Do AIO coolers run out of water/liquid?

I have a bunch in service right now - all originals not version 2 or 3 (H50, H80, H100) and they all still work like they are supposed to. My use case though is at stock speeds for low noise, so no OC and I'd guess lower temps than some of the guys here who run it hard (and hot). That'll probably have an effect on service life and things crapping out sooner rather than later.

I know Corsair has said not to run pumps at less than 12v because it is bad for the pump. I wonder how many many failed CLC pumps ran at less than 12v. I'm sure there are a lot of people who just plug them in and don't change the fan header to run 100%.

A lot of newer CLC's use PWM pumps so they run quieter and still only see 12v.

I have a H50-H60-H70, all OG Ver.1 w/ OEM fans. All are still running great. The only maintenance I perform on them is to clean the rad's every 6mo or so.

If 'work' is defined as the process of removing heat, then these CLCs work harder when cooling hotter CPUs.

I'm saying there is a tread of CLCs on high heat CPUs failing sooner than on low heat CPUs. I agree, seal failures could easily beat least partially a result of higher pressures caused by higher temp CPUs .. and also a reason of more coolant loose through CLCs thin plastic hoses.

Asetek pumps flow coolant at about the same rate a healthy adult pisses .. in other words a very low flow rate .. and the amount of coolant in a CLC is way less than what a health adult pisses.

Considering most CLCs are all designed and built by Asetek and even the others are of basically the same design they is would obviously be a 'systemic problem' shared by most if not all CLCs. Keeping in mind the distinction that CLCs are a sub-group of AIO so not all AIOs are CLC .. meaning systems like Swiftech, Alphachool, etc. OEM are not the same as CLCs.

If 'work' is defined as the process of removing heat, then these CLCs work harder when cooling hotter CPUs.

I'm saying there is a tread of CLCs on high heat CPUs failing sooner than on low heat CPUs. I agree, seal failures could easily beat least partially a result of higher pressures caused by higher temp CPUs .. and also a reason of more coolant loose through CLCs thin plastic hoses.

Asetek pumps flow coolant at about the same rate a healthy adult pisses .. in other words a very low flow rate .. and the amount of coolant in a CLC is way less than what a health adult pisses.

Considering most CLCs are all designed and built by Asetek and even the others are of basically the same design they is would obviously be a 'systemic problem' shared by most if not all CLCs. Keeping in mind the distinction that CLCs are a sub-group of AIO so not all AIOs are CLC .. meaning systems like Swiftech, Alphachool, etc. OEM are not the same as CLCs.

I am wondering if the trend of CLCs failing in high heat scenarios could be attributed partly to the pump being a part of the waterblock. I can envision the pump motor's electronics getting less reliable over time in high heat situations. Just some food for thought...

Last edited:
I have an h50 that I got back in 2009 that is still running today. I feel as if it isn't as efficient as it once was, but it still works fine for systems that aren't overclocked.

Back