Do 290x or 295x2 support HDMI 2.0?

Neon01

[H]ard|Gawd
My primary display is a UHD TV that doesn't have DP input, and I need HDMI 2.0 for UHD@60hz and 4:4:4 chroma. Can the 290x do that? I'm a 970 "victim" looking for options. Thanks

Don't think so. The R9 290 that I had did not have HDMI 2.0. Doubt that the 290x would since they're fairly similar cards.

Your best bet would be to wait a bit for AMD's 300 series cards; they should be released at the end of Q2 2015.

Don't think so. The R9 290 that I had did not have HDMI 2.0. Doubt that the 290x would since they're fairly similar cards.

Your best bet would be to wait a bit for AMD's 300 series cards; they should be released at the end of Q2 2015.

Thanks for the reply. I had considered the new 300 series, but I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm only going to be able to get a store credit with Newegg now, not 3-4 months from now, so I'm kind of stuck making my decision from what's on the market. I'm not particularly attracted to the idea of paying $400 to upgrade my cards to 980s either.

Belkin is selling a Mini-DP to HDMI 2 for 4K output via the Apple Store, but the product description is confusing and reports are conflicting as to weather it works. Curious on this one as Apple is usually quite demanding if they are reselling something (on top of the Apple tax).

BTW, HDMI is just a repackaging of DP with extra royalties being paid out so not a big difference.

Edit :

Link : http://store.apple.com/us/product/HGFB2ZM/A/belkin-4k-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=51

Last edited:
Belkin is selling a Mini-DP to HDMI 2 for 4K output via the Apple Store, but the product description is confusing and reports are conflicting as to weather it works. Curious on this one as Apple is usually quite demanding if they are reselling something (on top of the Apple tax).

BTW, HDMI is just a repackaging of DP with extra royalties being paid out so not a big difference.

Edit :

Link : http://store.apple.com/us/product/HGFB2ZM/A/belkin-4k-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=51

Thanks. I did look into several of those, but all the info I found indicated they either only provide 4k@30hz or, if they actually do 60hz, they only work with the new thunderbolt 2 ports on Macs, not mini-dp (or DP).

As I wrote in the [post=1041388580]other R295X2 HDMI 2.0 thread[/post], there was a mDP to HDMI 2.0 adapter on display at CES 2015. But nothing you can buy yet. I expect that all adapters which are currently on the market, including the one in the Apple store, support at most 4K@30Hz.

Back