DNS won't flush

dracos

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok.. I can usually figure this stuff out myself but I'm going crazy right now...

The PC is Windows7 x64.

Have a steaming media box on my network and I can't access it now.

I used to have it wireless and it was fine.

I got a new switch and now it's wired but now I can't access it. It was wireless via a dongle, removed dongle so it's wired only now.

I've used the ipconfig /flush too many times to count and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've restarted my computer several times as well.

I even went so far as to physically pull the ethernet cable out of my computer, that didn't work either.

In my My Network I can see the 'old box', but I see the old wireless box name and of course it can't connect anymore since it's now wired. The name of the box is in My Network.

I went into router and deleted the entry, that didn't work.

Went back into router and even deleted the new entry for the wired box, that didn't work.

I went so far as to change the name of the box itself as I thought maybe that was a conflict and that didn't work. I can still see the old name in My Network.

I went into networking and hit refresh, that doesn't work.

Went into networking and tried the 'See Full Map' and that didn't do anything either.

My computer still sees the old box name and won't flush the dns apparently.

I can access the box via ip address in my browser so I know it's connected.

Yes I've turned the box on and off several times now.

I don't know what to do to get my computer to see the new wired box?! It still sees the old wireless box.

Why does DNS matter? I get what you want to get from this but just use the IP address of the media server instead of it's name.

Anyways run the following commands

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop dnscache
net start dnscache

Then go to your :/windows/system32/drivers/etc/host file and make sure there is no entry there. If there is delete it and you can manually add an entry such as

192.168.1.2 MyMediaPlayer (or whatever it is called).

Good luck.

It fixed itself actually... all of the sudden the new name appeared. I did nothing, I don't know what happened.

and as far as accessing it via IP, yes I could do that in my web browser but that only accesses part of the media player, the Bitorrent scheduler. But to be able to access the hard drive you need to your 'My Network' as open it from there.

Back