DNS Server not responding multiple times a day

C McCarter

Limp Gawd
Hello,

For the last several months, but progressively worse, my internet drops due to the DNS Server not responding. This happens across my whole network and the only fix I can come up with is to reset the router every time it does this. At this point I am thinking a new router is in order (but do not have the money atm), I am using a D-Link DIR-625 V. C1 Firmware 3.08 router and a Motorola SB6120 modem. Is there another permanent fix for this problem is or my router on it's last legs? Would setting a new DNS Server on my router work? Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Are you currently using your ISPs DNS servers? Try switching to Google on the router and see if that makes a difference.
Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.

Are you sure the problem is from DNS servers not responding?

If the DNS servers are the problem then you should still be able to ping and connect to Internet IP addresses. You just wouldn't be able to type in a name like hardforum.com and expect to go there.

This could also be a problem with your modem, or it could be a problem with your cable wiring or on the ISPs side of things. I would goto 192.168.100.1 and check out what your modem is saying about the signal

I have directly connected to my modem and the problem seems to have disappeared. Unless I am missing a setting on my router, I think I might have to get a new one.

If you're diagnosing DNS as the problem by your web browser saying "DNS Error, can't find xxx.yyy.com" then you need to dig deeper, this is very often a result of connectivity issues downstream from the PC itself and has nothing to do with DNS at all.

No matter which operating system you use, you should have either nslookup or dig installed by default. These are rudimentary DNS diagnostic tools.

You can "nslookup google.com" or "dig google.com" from the commandline and it should either return a set of IP addresses or an error. If it times out connecting to your DNS server, then either the DNS server is down or there is a connectivity problem. You can determine which is the case by changing DNS servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 216.146.35.35, 216.146.36.36 are several you can use) and trying again.

What if you do a constant ping to an external ip? Use ping -t or something like ping plotter and see if all traffic is dropping or just DNS traffic.

If you're diagnosing DNS as the problem by your web browser saying "DNS Error, can't find xxx.yyy.com" then you need to dig deeper, this is very often a result of connectivity issues downstream from the PC itself and has nothing to do with DNS at all.

No matter which operating system you use, you should have either nslookup or dig installed by default. These are rudimentary DNS diagnostic tools.

You can "nslookup google.com" or "dig google.com" from the commandline and it should either return a set of IP addresses or an error. If it times out connecting to your DNS server, then either the DNS server is down or there is a connectivity problem. You can determine which is the case by changing DNS servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 216.146.35.35, 216.146.36.36 are several you can use) and trying again.

what is the "dig" command?

I too have never used to "dig" command and would like to know a little more.

That said, a new router solved the issues it seems.

i just had the same error at my bosses house ended up bein a bad cat 5 cable either from the router to the computer or modem to the router. replaced both cables as the tech suggested and boom no more issues. hope this works for you.

Back