DNS question

DoMeHardR

Limp Gawd
First off I am not very smart when it comes to DNS so bear with me. I was wondering if there was a way to import an excel spreadsheet (saved as space delimited raw text) with ip to host names into win2k dns. Someone told me that it was possible to just edit the text files in the dns directory and do the same thing. Anyone have any idea on how to import DNS entries?

deuce868

Gawd
what DNS server are you running?

In bind I don't know how you would just import them. You could open the xls as a tab delimited file and do some find/replace work to get valid lines though. Then you could copy/paste those into you zone db files.

Valdain

n00b
The tool you're looking for is part of the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. It's called dnscmd. It will let you do things such as importing and exporting of records. Be sure to read up well on the docs for it bacuase it can totally configure the dns server (read: you can hose your server!).

If you are tring to import client names and IPs, I would recommend against it. Let the clients register their own name, and let DHCP handle the rest. If you are just importing aliases and friendly names, then dnscmd is the tool for you.