DNS/local domain in a home setting?

omega-x

2[H]4U
just wonderinf if there is ANY point to this.
because i have 2 spare ~450mhz machines around and figure i can make one a linux box and have it be a DNS server and/or set up a local domain.

but i dont have a CLUE what either of those two things will do for me in a practical way as my ISP runs a DNS server thats ~5ms away anyway.

basically dns came about because networks got bigger. If you were having problems with dns requests eating up bandwidth across network links then I would add a caching server or a backup domain server. It is basically a system of "Which computer do I ask for directions to a specified computer?" When you manually configuring an IP address and add your ISP's DNS server address, you are telling your computer to send any dns requests to the ISP's DNS servers. (For auto config/dhcp this info is added automatically from the isp) So if you want to find google.com your computer sends its request to your ISP, and your ISP probly has it cached(already knows it) and sends back the IP addy. (I could go on and on...iterative, recursive...)

If you set up a dns server on you own network, the dns server itself will send its dns requests to the ISP's DNS server. Your client computers will have to be configured to use your OWN DNS server to resolve any IP's. The benefit is that your DNS server will REMEMBER addresses it has already resolved(caching) and wont need to ask the ISP DNS server everytime you need to go to hardocp.com. This saves traffic on the ISP link.

So for your own situation it is overkill but good to do for edumacational purposes. 3 comps aint gonna swamp your ISP network link.

Whew I think that is the DNS section of network+/70-216 in a nutshell:p

Phaedrus said:
PS
here is my favorite book on DNS:

DNS and BIND

by albitz and Liu

Im reading this book right now. So far so good...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Much better way to understand DNS versus the MS way.

Phaedrus said:
PS
here is my favorite book on DNS:

DNS and BIND

by albitz and Liu

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back