DNS issues with my Netgear router etc

afirawker

[H]ard|Gawd
For some reason or another after hooking up my old Netgear RP614 router I'm having issues using MSN messenger, loading some webpages, and slow torrent speeds. I tried a bunch of port forwarding methods to get msn messenger working but to no avail. Then I tried to goto messenger.msn.com but the load wouldn't load, neither would msn.com. I tried to ping msn.com in command prompt but it times out.

I also can't connect to forums.offtopic.com however I can goto offtopic.com.As for the torrent issue, my torrents being horribly slow despite the fact that I have port forwarding setup for that. I even have a DMZ setup for my IP address but that isn't making any difference.

On second thought it may not be a DNS issue because when I ping msn.com it comes up with an IP address for the site but it can't make a connection.

I just restored the router back to default settings as well but that didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

it's a generic answer, but here goes...

Update the firmware?
Hardcode a DNS server in the router?

gigabyte1024 said:
it's a generic answer, but here goes...

Update the firmware?
Hardcode a DNS server in the router?

I have the most updated firmware. What DNS server would I hardcore into the router?

For some reason msn connects and the websites load, but torrents are still deathly slow. :(

some routers just suck at torrents, it's the number of simultaneous connections that makes them choke.

You would hardcode your ISPs DNS server.

Back