dm1z-4000 Review

BK_201

Limp Gawd
dm1z-4000
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Dual-Core Processor E-450(1.65GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
• AMD Radeon HD 6320M Discrete-Class Graphics and support for DX11
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
• 320GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (over-sized)
• 11.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
• No Internal DVD or CD Drive
• Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
• 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
• Full-size. island-style keyboard
• HP Coolsense technology for automatically keeping your laptop cool and comfortable on the go

Win Exp Index
Processor: 3.9
Memory: 5.8
Graphics: 4.5
Gaming graphics: 5.9
Primary hard disk: 5.9

I just had this arrive today and so far, I'm very impressed. I had the chance to try out a display model at the local Fry's to get a feel for it before customizing one for myself from HP. It's got a much sleeker look than the older DM1z. It's also got quite a nice striking dual tone light and dark look.

Moving on to the build quality. It's very solid feeling for something so light. The keys have a consistent resistance when being pressed from all angles, which is hard to say for other HP models. Every key feels very crisp and accurate and are nicely spaced; not too cramped.

Now for the cpu/gpu. I ordered this with a slightly more powerful E-450. Now before proceeding with anything, I nuked the OS and did a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 to kill all the bloatware and reinstalled only the needed drivers from the HP website. Now with that done, the cpu isn't really all that slow. Not saying it's fast either. It's just right.

This model and this model only has something called Coolsense as well. I'm not sure how it exactly works, but it's supposed to reroute the heat away from your lap. I did notice it working when I was watching a movie in my lap. As for the battery life, it's rated for 10 hours. However, as we all know not a realistic number for real life situations. I got about 6 hours browsing. Now for entertainment, I haven't gotten around to any games just yet. I hear that the 6320M has enough power for COD:MW1/2, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. It supposedly can't go any further than that though. As for movies, It can play almost two 2 hour 1080p movies end to end flawlessly. Quite impressive. Out of the box, it was stuttering during playback. However, after enabling DXVA, playback was butter smooth. I personally use the CCCP codec pack with a few tweaks.

Overall, for the $417.83 I paid, it's a great value for mobile work use and entertainment. Highly recommended. A fresh install is strongly suggested to remove the bloatware that comes with all consumer laptops. Feel free to throw in your 2 cents.

Is the trackpad any better than the last dm1z (E-350 version). The trackpad was so bad I couldn't deal with it. Sold it within 2 months. Also, strange that they went with a 5400 rpm drive vs. a 7200 in the last version.

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to more of these AMD APU-powered "ultrabook" machines. Mobile graphics are really the only front where AMD can lay down some rail against Intel right now. I'm hoping this form factor provides opportunities for success.

Is the trackpad any better than the last dm1z (E-350 version). The trackpad was so bad I couldn't deal with it. Sold it within 2 months. Also, strange that they went with a 5400 rpm drive vs. a 7200 in the last version.

I have no problems with the trackpad on this model. I've had some terrible experiences with the other or older models from HP. Perhaps the switch to 5400 was a decision for more battery life?

I just checked out some pics online after reading your review. I thought they just upgraded the internals, but it looks like a complete redesign. I had the original, but I'm going to think about picking one of these up. They look nice.

What's the difference between the dm1z-4000 and the dm1z with the E450 cpu?

can you please post pictures of your trackpad.

My dm1z-4000 has the E450 in it. I believe you're comparing the E350 to the E450. The latter is just a slightly faster processor.
w82ctw.jpg

Last edited:
Been looking for a portable notebook/netbook, heard nothing but good about the dm1z, was going to get the Lenovo S205, however, upgrading the ram or hd means dissembling the entire chassis as shown here.

Upgrading the ram or hd on the hp dm1z is very easy as shown here. Only other small laptop choices are the Acer Aspire 722 {crappy hardware} and Samsung Series 3 {cant find it anywhere} and the Macbook Air {expensive}

Battery and audio is a lot better than the levono x series and macbook air counterpart.

HP Pavilion dm1z customizable Notebook PC. EPP_00_A1N69AV. $393.99 before tax and free ship using student discount and coupon code REDTAG!11. Might be worth the extra $30 bux to get a 500gig hd instead of the 320gb hd.

The quickship dm1-4050us Intel Core i3-2367M processor has 1 dimm slot, max ram is 4gb (1x4) where as the dm1z customizable with either E300 or E450 cpu has two dimm slots, max ram is 8gb (2x4).

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Dual-Core Processor E-450(1.65GHz, 1MB L2 Cache) + AMD Radeon HD 6320M Discrete-Class Graphics
FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
320GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
No Additional Office Software
FREE UPGRADE to Norton Internet Security(TM) 2012 - 15 Months Subscription (activation required)
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
11.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
No Internal DVD or CD Drive
Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
Standard Keyboard
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Last edited:
Back