Dlink Firmware.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by abudhu, Dec 11, 2005.

1. abudhu

abudhu [H]ard|Gawd

I tired a search before but wasn't getting the right stuff. Same with google. Perhaps I am just being daft, but anywho, to the question at hand.

Do DLink Routers have 3rd Firmware like Many Linksys Routers have? If so, could someone please point me in the general direction? Thanks. Google, is not an acceptable answer :) The initial firmware that comes with it simply baffles me.

Thanks again

2. BollWeevil

BollWeevil Limp Gawd

It depends on the router, and mainly what OS it's running. For example, there is custom firware for the DSL-G604 because it's running MontaVista linux to support the TI AR7 dsl chipset, but other Dlink routers may run other types of embedded OS which don't easily support 3rd party firmware design.

Likewise, the Linksys WRT54G and its variants are running a linux based OS, but other products such as the BEFSR41, while somewhat similar in hardware architecture, don't run the same OS which isn't as flexible to 3rd party modifications.

So it really depends what OS the product is running as to the easy of developing and installing custom firmware.

3. abudhu

abudhu [H]ard|Gawd

Dlink Model DI-604. Using Windows XP Prof. This is for my fraternity. We are having a lot of trouble with our internet dropping everyday and random times. I am going to do a lot of test over winter to determine where the root of the problem lies. For now I believe it to be the router, which is why I am looking for a 3rd party firmware to test.

4. BollWeevil

BollWeevil Limp Gawd

I don't believe there is any 3rd party firmware for this model. Make sure to update to Dlink's latest firmware, as the early revisions of this router experienced problems like you are describing. After updating the firmware, mine was rock solid.