DLink DGL-4500 NOT Available...

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I ordered a DGL-4500 from DLinks Web Site because it was shown as in stock yesterday.

I just called to see why my order did not arrive (I ordered it Overnight P1). The nice gentleman looked in to it and found out that it is actually NOT available and is not shown in any DLink warehouse as available for shipment.

If you plan on ordering this from DLink, or anywhere else for that matter, I would do a phone order and verify it's existance.

I ordered a DGL-4500 from DLinks Web Site because it was shown as in stock yesterday.

I just called to see why my order did not arrive (I ordered it Overnight P1). The nice gentleman looked in to it and found out that it is actually NOT available and is not shown in any DLink warehouse as available for shipment.

If you plan on ordering this from DLink, or anywhere else for that matter, I would do a phone order and verify it's existance.

Thanks for the heads up.

They are VERY behind on rolling out their new products through the wholesale channels, I waited over 2 months for some of their relatively new WebSmart managed PoE wireless gear.

They are VERY behind on rolling out their new products through the wholesale channels, I waited over 2 months for some of their relatively new WebSmart managed PoE wireless gear.

I just called their sales dept. and I asked the gentelman about both the DIR 855 and DGL 4500 and they aren't 100 percent sure if one, or both of these are either coming out within the next couple of months or possibly early 08.

After that, he said it's likely that one of them (probably the DGL 4500) would make it out in November or so.

Kind of surprising lack of concrete and authoritative information.

I s'pose that's better vs. them rushing a product out.

What's really odd is I had actually downloaded all the manuals.

And a firmware update !

What's really odd is I had actually downloaded all the manuals.

And a firmware update !

That's why I'd probably suspect that this thing's release is imminent and Dlink may have just jumped the gun a touch.

There's nothing on their site for the DIR 855 as of yet. No emulator. No manuals. No data sheets. No nuthin'.

So I'll bet the rep was right and we'll probably see this thing within the next few weeks.

I just saw one of these on the shelf at a BestBuy in Atlanta for $199- and the BestBuy website has them on sale for $189 (store pickup available!)

Now I am trying to decide if an OLED screen and a USB port are worth $190; I have the DGL-4300 and my laptops are only 802.11g, so I don't think it is that big of an upgrade for me!

LOL, watch this: http://www.dlinktv.com/?vid=182

"People can customize the OLED so they can put their clanname or guild for like when they goto lan parties"

Hmm, last time I went to a LAN party, the last thing I needed was a router.

Anyways, $190. I will stick with my 4300 for a while longer I think.

LOL, watch this: http://www.dlinktv.com/?vid=182

"People can customize the OLED so they can put their clanname or guild for like when they goto lan parties"

Hmm, last time I went to a LAN party, the last thing I needed was a router.

Anyways, $190. I will stick with my 4300 for a while longer I think.

I just have to wonder how much of that bloated $239 MSRP or so price is all just because of that nifty OLED.

I still have a half a theory that the still-vaporware DIR 855 is essentially going to be this thing without the fancy OLED and, as consequence, a bit cheaper to boot when it finally ever shows up.

What laptop card is used to connect to this router via the 5 GHz channel?

802.11a cards operate in the 5Ghz range.
802.11b/g/n cards use the 2.4Ghz range.

It also appears that some of the MIMO 802.11n cards use either/both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz frequencies; one card I found is the Linksys WPC600N.

Note that while 5Ghz is good if you have a lot of 2.4Ghz interference, it will have a shorter range (but should offer better penetration of walls/floors/obstacles- so it may work out about the same).

...and now Circuit City has this guy for $150 online- but no local store pickup!

...and now Circuit City has this guy for $150 online- but no local store pickup!

It could be the same mistake D-link's own website still has of listing that thing in stock when it really isn't.

I'd make a phone call or try and find some way of real confirmation before making a move.

For $149, I darned sure ordered one from Circuit City yesterday. That's $100 cheaper than DLink direct, and $50 cheaper than anyone else.

And guess what. I got an email from them this morning. It SHIPPED!

I have the tracking number and it's set for delivery on the 6th...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&context=&keyword=dgl-4500&searchSection=All

We'll be watching for an impressions thread from you in short order. :)

I just can't see buying one of these until I see matching adapters come out that can also take advantage of the dual band, but hey, what the heck, right? ;)

Many existing laptop 802.11n adapters can use both bands. Intel 4965, Atheros-based adapters, etc.

Ok, the DGL-4500 came in. I wish I could give you some sort of glorious report here, but I can't.

And that's a GOOD thing...

No issues with installation. It installs and sets up just like any other high-end DLink Router (DIR-655, DGL-4300).

It's plenty fast enough to handle any thru-put I can throw at it. Actual wan-to-lan numbers will come when SNB.net does their test on it, I'm sure. I'm expecting it to rate at least as good as the DIR-655, which is at the top of the charts.

The OLED is cool. You can find out anything about the routers config right there at the panel. You can also check Lan, Wan and Wireless performance levels right at the router.

As far as actual wireless performance, time will tell with that. I'll know more on that when I start my usual 10 hour marathon on Tiger Woods 2008 online this weekend :)

Back