DIY stand for 3x monitors with pivot

AEracer7

Weaksauce
I just bought 3x asus vs239h-p monitors and I really want to be able to use them in portrait and landscape mode.

Let me start by saying price and price/value is first priority.

I have considered using 3 dell stands off of 23 or 24 inch dell monitors.
But would just bending/cutting off the tabs work?
or would I need to buy the optional vesa mounting kit from dell?
Something like this but I see them for much cheaper often.

3 stands like this would work but for 90 I feel like I can get 1 stand to do 3.

I could also build any number of diy 3 in 1 stands but most seem to not rotate.
I however saw this thread here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1586580
In the effort of not wanting to bump an old thread, I am making my own. It seems there is enough joints in that particular setup to allow the monitors to pivot to portrait. But after tightening/loosening the threads, how can I ensure the pipes will stay in place?

I've also seen several single monitor stands that are meant to pivot, some based around galvanized pipe, and others using a lazy susan piece with bearings to pivot. Could any of these single monitor designs be applied to a triple stand?

Experience, and pictures are especially welcome!

Thanks

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Tyke's are pretty good for the money but these are even better for the money.

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe...-Desktop-Clamp-up-to-28-002-0019-002-0019.htm

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe...-Free-Standing-up-to-28-002-0020-002-0020.htm

I doubt you'll find anything else adequate for under $100. And judging by how much the build your own costs you would probably be better off buying one of these.

I'm using the hex version of the clamp one.

I've seen the tyke one but it looked like it didn't curve at all so I didn't consider it.
Those both look very nice, does the center one pivot also?
And is the construction wobbly at all? I will probably buy the free standing one if either.
I've seen some build your own guides for about 30 in parts. I was just wondering how hard it is to add pivot.

EDIT: The dell stands would for sure not work? I've seen them for as low as 10 each.

Last edited:
I've seen the tyke one but it looked like it didn't curve at all so I didn't consider it.
Those both look very nice, does the center one pivot also?
And is the construction wobbly at all? I will probably buy the free standing one if either.
I've seen some build your own guides for about 30 in parts. I was just wondering how hard it is to add pivot.

EDIT: The dell stands would for sure not work? I've seen them for as low as 10 each.

The center one can rotate 360 degrees and tilt just like the ones on the sides.
The clamped versions of the stands are extremely solid and don't wobble at all. I don't have any experience with the ones that just sit on the desk.

I would definitely go with the curved design over the first Tyke design that was listed. It is way easier to put together and adjust, and the design is just better in every way.

I don't know anything about the Dell stands.

Whatever you get, imo make sure you can tuck the side monitor's adjacent bezels behind the center monitor's side bezels so that you end up with 1 bezel thickness between the screens to your perspective. Tilting/angling is also important especially if any of the monitors are TNs.

Last edited:

I don’t know this Tyke or the East Mount if I buy a production one? I like the aesthetics of the east mount more.

The center one can rotate 360 degrees and tilt just like the ones on the sides.
The clamped versions of the stands are extremely solid and don't wobble at all. I don't have any experience with the ones that just sit on the desk.

I would definitely go with the curved design over the first Tyke design that was listed. It is way easier to put together and adjust, and the design is just better in every way.

I don't know anything about the Dell stands.

Okay thanks for your input. I would definitely want a free standing onebecause I have not yet made a desk big enough for all of these and I am temporarily using one of those lifetime foldable tables.

Whatever you get, imo make sure you can tuck the side monitor's adjacent bezels behind the center monitor's side bezels so that you end up with 1 bezel thickness between the screens to your perspective. Tilting/angling is also important especially if any of the monitors are TNs.
Good point, I can do this now no problem with 3 stands, but is this possible with both of the suggested ones so far?
And nope I bought all ips so I don’t have to worry about all that.

A little more about the proposed diy method. I think I’m going to use a tube (controlled outer diameter) inside of a pipe (controlled inner diameter) I haven’t decided square or round pipe yet but I’m going to go to the local hardware store to get some inspiration and ideas soon.
The tube in a pipe will be used for the telescopic arms to account for pivoting the monitor with the diagonal being the longest dimension and the portrait monitor having the shortest dimension.
I pretty much have an idea what I wish to do there, but as far as the pivot, I am not that familiar with plumbing and such, excluding the plumbing in my own home (which is all plastic).
I saw this article, but they don't mention what actually does the pivoting, is it the tightening and loosening of the threads? If so, would s set screw work to hold that in place, or I could just put a pin of sorts in it after I drill completely through it.
I also saw this article, which could work, but I’m unsure of the exact dimensions of that rotating piece, and it might be a bit bulkier. But it could potentially be the easiest solution.

Back