DIY s-video cable

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to make a long s-video cable and i live somewhere where there are no long s-video cables for sale....

I have 2 small of s-video cables that i can use for parts but im pretty much at a loss from what to do about joining them?

I have to physically join them, cant use female-female s-video connector

Any of you have a link for instructions?

Thx

that doens't seem like it would keep a very high quality link.

your best bet would just be to goto markertek and buy some 4 conductor (or is it 5?) and get some svideo plugs and solders those puppies together

you could just order them online. circuit city or newegg (maybe newegg, dont know. probably) its a pretty penny for svideo, but it all depends on the time and effort required for what youre doing to justify the price.

I'd worry about quality loss but I would say order the parts and build one. I've found parts at Radioshack but online places like JameCo, Mouser, Newark and Digi-Key should carry the same items for alot less.

Someone mentioned Marketerk, they make high quality S-Video cables that go for up to 200'. I've used the 100' cables with no visible loss of quality.

S-Video is very low bandwidth. Quick question...what length are you looking for? If it is two 3' cables...then you could use bubble gum to join them...if it is a 50' or longer...then we need to talk.

But joining two cables should be no harder than cutting off the ends of one side of each cable then soldering the wires together making sure pin 1 is still connected to pin 1 etc...

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
S-Video is very low bandwidth. Quick question...what length are you looking for? If it is two 3' cables...then you could use bubble gum to join them...if it is a 50' or longer...then we need to talk.

But joining two cables should be no harder than cutting off the ends of one side of each cable then soldering the wires together making sure pin 1 is still connected to pin 1 etc...

-tReP
I dont know how to join coaxials together... Thats my prob

If you don't know how to join coax together then it might be in your better choice to just buy a new cable. They are not too expensive :)

-tReP

chinoquezada said:
i live somewhere where there are no long s-video cables for sale....
None at all.... I live outside the states, at Ecuador, South America. And there none for sale, believe me, ive searched....

We used to have 30' spools of s-vid cable at RadioShack. You might be able to find it at a store still..... discontinued at a realy low price. We also have the ends. 4 easy soder points and your good to go. We also have couplers, If it is under 30' Id just recomend the couplers... much easier.

Back