DIY: ITX tray with modular PCI-E and PSU frames

Thank you, now I think I understood.

You always have to use the ATX frame, and you can attach a SFX or ATX PSU in the outer frame, but when you attach an ATX PSU, you remove the inner frame, to get the normal airflow hole for an ATX PSU.

In my case, if I plan to use only a SFX PSU, I should get the only SFX PSU version, to get a smaller PSU frame.

Thank you, now I think I understood.

You always have to use the ATX frame, and you can attach a SFX or ATX PSU in the outer frame, but when you attach an ATX PSU, you remove the inner frame, to get the normal airflow hole for an ATX PSU.

In my case, if I plan to use only a SFX PSU, I should get the only SFX PSU version, to get a smaller PSU frame.

Yes you are right. The ATX PSU will not fit with the inner frame..

Here is the ATX(SFX) frame before and after:
IMG_20170420_210211.jpg
As you see, i only removed BY TWISTING OUT the SFX part, did nothing to the 4corners where it was attached, these should be sanded or filed before installing ATX PSU.

Still no plans for HDD/SSD mounts?

I build this testbench in 10minutes, to demonstrate how these could be mounted, all aluminium parts from v1.337 kit.

(Screws or other mounting hardware not included in base kit)

2x2.5"+3.5"
IMG_20170421_145336.jpg

2x2.5"+3.5"
IMG_20170421_145358.jpg

Under GPU?
IMG_20170421_150735.jpg

As you see, a connection to separete frame for case panels could hold them better, but this is what can be done with current parts..

And here is some ways the included slideframe parts can help with mounting hardware..

How many SSD could this hold?
IMG_20170421_150532.jpg

Inverted GPU +3.5"
IMG_20170414_153412.jpg

3.5"-120-140??
IMG_20170414_170434.jpg

VESA100??
IMG_20170407_233554.jpg
Want more? Bend and modify ;)

I have now recieved my kit from NATi :)

I will not have time to play with it this weekend, but hopefully next week. Let's see if I can figure out what all brackets are used for ;)

eOJQvD9

EDIT: Seems like the picture doesn't work. You can see it here.

Nice.

Thank you for the info, just ask if you encounter any problems. :)

e: please note that your kit included the "cutout waste" also

ATX frame with SFX inner frame testing.. Could move it higher if top screws are out on the small horizontal slides on ATX bracket...
17077-aa8a62cb531dbd618cb8b5e2e7cb0992.jpg

Some pictures of my new ATX tray project..
IMG_20170428_184743.jpg
IMG_20170428_235258.jpg

Same style IO area as the ITX version..
Fits psu in many places too
IMG_20170429_000148.jpg
IMG_20170429_000444.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any suggestions on power switch and front io?
If you use as a test bench, something like this would be easy to use..
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Desktop-PC-Co...5mm-Audio-Jack-1-pcs-/222434029932?nav=SEARCH

If building a case, It depends on how mich modifications you can do, I usually take somethin like this simple "computer power button" and cut wires near the button, replace by soldering new button according to what type is needed.

My current PC has had this type button for 3years:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-12V-Blue...t-Push-Button-Switch-/152510058002?nav=SEARCH

For USB front, something like this:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-20-Pi...rboard-Connector-New-/272601321293?nav=SEARCH

For usb+audio+power. A DIY system.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is my first build. Not very functional (PSU with connector in the back), but compact and with everything I had in my SG05 (except for the DVD recorder). Very sturdy and +/- 8,5 liters.

If you see some defects in the aluminium parts, it's normal, because this is one of the first kits that NATi sold me by a lower price, it's not like the ones he sells now.

VlqUP5t.jpg

QVpqeXU.jpg

LJNebLW.jpg

GeydExg.jpg

j3i7EPo.jpg

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: Without cables looks much better... With an outer frame you can route the cables differently :D
Really nice ideas, thanks for sharing, you have type of outer frame/shell in mind for this build?

E: I like your creative idea SSD mounting :)

Hi,

I was planning on a new case project and thought that the IO-opening and PCI-E slot took a long time to make for previous case with hand tools. Considering I wanted them even close to good looking, an idea came to mind if small quantity of these could be laser cut at a nearby company. -They said "Yes, you can order any quantity starting from 1pc." (y)

Well, the idea then came to mind that I cannot deside best or only one part layout, because I wanted these at decent quantity for future builds also, so I wondered if I could make the PCI-E slot modular....
Oh well, I let the pictures say what happened next:

Laser cut 2mm aluminium pieces..
View attachment 20220

Trays itself folded: v1 batch1
View attachment 20219

With SFX PSU frame:
View attachment 20215

PCI-E with 40mm angle riser and 20mm extender
View attachment 20216

With ATX PSU frame:
View attachment 20217
View attachment 20218

Above are just basic examples of layouts that these frames fit to the ITX-tray itself, with a flexible riser the PCI-E frame could be installed where needed. PSU frames can be installed where desired and support installing the PSU in both orientations: fan up or down.

I calculated that a barely sub 5litre case is possible with the second layout pictured..:hungry:

Please note that this is not a complete case build, this is a set of lasercut part holders and trays. Kit is designed for those who design and build their own unique case.

First kits are allready turning into personal cases by some Finnish case builders. Feedback seems quite positive so far, allthough minor modifications and design errors need fine tuning before batch 2.

Please share your thoughts and comments
Hey NATi, are you able to provide the dimensions used of the motherboard mount, bend in the metal and the rear IO cutout? A clearance of 1-2mm between the motherboard and the tray in mind, also.

Back