DIY directional wifi antenna?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Has anyone ever attempted this, and had good results in a somewhat production use?

Basically I'm thinking a router or AP on one end, and a nic on the other. Maybe about a mile or so, there would be a few walls to go through, possibly trees.

What I want to do is bring some wireless internet to my church from my house on the cheap, as I live close by. Is this something even worth attempting?

at a mile you will need a little more. i would recommend getting a wireless bridge and an access point that is Power Over Ethernet ( POE ) mount them outside then just need to run ethernet in. try to get a line of sight shot and it will be rocket solid. it really depends on how many tree if you dont have clear shot if it will work with leaves on the tree's.

i dont think a max/extended range router and nic will any type of home made reflector dish will do a mile.

Hmm thought so. Might play around with some real directional antennas at some point.

Now if I buy a decent one, say rated for 2 miles, will it work ok from indoors at both ends? Or perhaps one outside on the roof, the other indoors? Since this would be more or less a "fun" thing to have, vs something that is needed, I don't really want to add it to the roof of the church, but I would not mind adding it to the roof of my house if it will make it better. Occasionally preachers may need internet access, so it would be cool to provide it this way.

Back