Ditched 21:9, now what?

delita

[H]ard|Gawd
Sold my X34 to a friend, tired of 21:9.

Need some advice! Going back to 16:9, what monitor should I get?

what was wrong with the 21:9? I personally won't go back to 16:9 unless I have to, ie, my screen fails and I can't afford to replace it.

i ditched 21:9 to go 43" 4k, couldn't imagine ditching 21:9 for anything other than a much larger high res display i always loved my Ultrawide

What didn't you like about 21:9? That may drive the decision.

Got tired of lack of support by some developers. I could go 4k or back to 1440p don't really care. Just want 16:9 and a filled screen. Gsync is nice, but not totally necessary. What do you guys think? I'm willing to spend up to 1k would like to see some options. Not 50+ inch TVs though.

Got tired of lack of support by some developers. I could go 4k or back to 1440p don't really care. Just want 16:9 and a filled screen. Gsync is nice, but not totally necessary. What do you guys think? I'm willing to spend up to 1k would like to see some options. Not 50+ inch TVs though.

I've had pretty decent support on my 21:9 on almost all games..and those that didn't, I'd just run 2560x1440p and have black bars. But that's just personal preference.

If you're going 4k, I'd make sure to get G-Sync. I don't think we're quite there yet for seamless 4k without some "help", even with a Titan Xp. Sadly there's not much in the "large" (>30") screen size with 4k + Gsync, so you'll have to settle for a 27-28" screen.

And at that price range, if you're thinking 1440p, definitely get G-Sync, since you'll be able to get all the bells and whistles. At this rez, I wouldn't personally go above a 28" or so, just to avoid the large pixels.

If you liked your Acer other than the 21:9 format, I'd start looking there.

what was wrong with the 21:9? I personally won't go back to 16:9 unless I have to, ie, my screen fails and I can't afford to replace it.

Honestly I'm ready to ditch Acer too. Should I consider thr ASUS 165hz 27" perhaps?

Seems to be 27 IPS 1440 Gsync or a 40-43 4K TV options wise. I don't see much else worth looking at

The only thing I would consider dropping my X34 for is these new FALD HDR monitors coming out. But even then, I would probably wait for the 21:9 FALD.

What does downgrading to a current 27" buy you? Even if a game doesn't support ultrawide, the X34 still provides the same size 16:9 image as a 27".

better display - sony X800E vs Samsung KS7000. Looking at 43"

Ended up buying a Samsung KS7500 43" this morning on Amazon.

That KS7500 sounds like it will make a very nice monitor. Let us know how it works out!

That KS7500 sounds like it will make a very nice monitor. Let us know how it works out!

Just got it set up today and I gotta say - WOW. Love it. I do miss Gsync as I was able to tear TW:3 to shreds on 3440x1440 getting about 85 FPS with my Titan-XP. At 4k I can see some tearing, but man the color is just so much better than the ole Acer IPS. No more fucking IPS bleed, that in itself is worth the upgrade IMO.

You say 85fps. So is this "real" 120Hz? Little out of the loop. Wasn't sure that was a normalish thing without interpolation etc in nearly anything but PC monitors or 4k TVs at 1080p...

You say 85fps. So is this "real" 120Hz? Little out of the loop. Wasn't sure that was a normalish thing without interpolation etc in nearly anything but PC monitors or 4k TVs at 1080p...

My previous display was a Gsync X34. So, yeah. 85-90 frames is what I was pulling on average in The Witcher 3 with the monitor set at 100hz @ max settings 3440x1440. I'm not sure what you mean by real 120Hz though. I switched to the Samsung and it's only capable of 60hz at 4k. No more Gsync either. But from my few hours of gaming thus far, I think the 4k resolution (and being back at 16:9 aspect ratio) and the overall better picture quality from the Samsung, overtakes the Acer with Gsync by a mile. Hopefully someday there will be NON shitty gaming monitors.

My previous display was a Gsync X34. So, yeah. 85-90 frames is what I was pulling on average in The Witcher 3 with the monitor set at 100hz @ max settings 3440x1440. I'm not sure what you mean by real 120Hz though. I switched to the Samsung and it's only capable of 60hz at 4k. No more Gsync either. But from my few hours of gaming thus far, I think the 4k resolution (and being back at 16:9 aspect ratio) and the overall better picture quality from the Samsung, overtakes the Acer with Gsync by a mile. Hopefully someday there will be NON shitty gaming monitors.

Yeah when I switched to my OLED55C6 it was like a night and day difference. The picture is amazing. I have seen some tearing here and there, but its not too bad and I became accustomed to it a long time ago. The black levels alone are ridiculous, really seems to add more depth to a lot of my games. I haven't had experience with the Samsung SUHDs, but I imagine there is a similar upgrade.

Lazy.

I ran 21:9 for roughly a year (got a cheap 4K TV for a display, sold the monitor for significantly more than the TV cost, needed the cash) and never found an even sort of modern title that couldn't be made to run proper res with some tweaking.

40"+ 4K is your next move as others have said, but it's significantly harder to drive.

Lazy.

I ran 21:9 for roughly a year (got a cheap 4K TV for a display, sold the monitor for significantly more than the TV cost, needed the cash) and never found an even sort of modern title that couldn't be made to run proper res with some tweaking.

40"+ 4K is your next move as others have said, but it's significantly harder to drive.

With how "mainstream" 21:9 is, I shoudn't have to "tweak" games unofficially to make them work "properly" - I say properly because sometimes the "tweaks" fuck things up in the game related to the UI and scaling. Lot of ports, especially.

I got a better display. And I'm done with 21:9. I wouldn't call that lazy, it's an upgrade.

Lazy.

And how much did you tweak Skyrim to get it to work? I spent ages trying to get that game to work properly in surround and it never did work well, there were always issues. Especially since Bethesda refused to support surround. There are other examples of that too, but that is the most infamous one. That was really the push for me to switch from surround to 4k.

As someone who went from a first gen Samsung 55" curved 4K to a X34 when they first came out, I can honestly say I miss the 55" 4K. I sit about 3ft from my screen and use it for everything, cable, pc, consoles, etc. The X34 has been fine but never really wow like the 4K was when I first got it even in gaming. Clearly its way outclassed for movies and tv. Being an early adopter I ran into issues with it doing chroma properly at 60hz but that was only really an issue on some websites, in gaming I got a much greater amount of immersion from the 4K.

So I will also be going back to big screen 4K. Almost bite on the TCL P607 and still might since the price is pretty nice.

With how "mainstream" 21:9 is, I shoudn't have to "tweak" games unofficially to make them work "properly" - I say properly because sometimes the "tweaks" fuck things up in the game related to the UI and scaling. Lot of ports, especially.

I got a better display. And I'm done with 21:9. I wouldn't call that lazy, it's an upgrade.

I'm probably going to do the same as you. I just bought an HP Omen X35 two months ago, great monitor but it's just not completely satisfying. I'll be picking up a C7 OLED this holiday.

I'm probably going to do the same as you. I just bought an HP Omen X35 two months ago, great monitor but it's just not completely satisfying. I'll be picking up a C7 OLED this holiday.

I have to say even with some of my minor issues with my C6 OLED, it is absolutely amazing. Night and day difference in my experience in games. My main gripe is, it does make it a little difficult for some very competitive games, but in single player which is what I play most often, it is just amazing.

On a whim I got the Acer something something (they have like 487 different models of the same basic thing) 35" 75hz IPS curved screen on a newegg sale. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Games seem to be squashed and its so heavy it overwhelms my ergotron arm so I have to use the gigantic stand that has feet right where my keyboard and mouse need to be.

The colors are great, and it overclocked to 100hz with zero issue with the Nvidia control panel (it has freesync but I only have a GTX 1060 to use it with so whatever). No obvious light bleed either, but its still just strange to use for gaming. The aspect ratio just seems off somehow even when setup properly.

finally installed ROTR and i gotta say, in 4k, on the samsung...best i've ever seen. gsync be damned, 4k with a display as nice is this one is as good as it gets right now in my opinion.

Back