Ditch 1070 and wait for Volta?

gocubs418

Weaksauce
I have a b-stock 1070 EVGA SC, I almost never use it, played around 20 hours of gaming and that's about it.

Figured with the price increase, it wouldn't be a bad time to sell, I'd be thrilled with around $515-525 shipped.

How long are we looking to Volta? Could Volta be the same situation (price gouging/short supply)?

If mining is still a thing when Volta is released, then you're looking at the same supply and pricing situation that we currently have with Pascal.

I've seen people post on the forums that if you look at Amazon early in the morning (5AM-6AM EST) you can see when Amazon is getting a new shipment in - filter by Amazon as the seller and if they're getting new stock you will see the gpus listed. Just what I've heard, ymmv. So I assume that you'd be able to get your hands on Volta when released with a little early-morning waiting as well.

Volta is not doubt going to be in short supply, besides miners there will be hoarders. If you're trying to flip and make a buck and then buy a new card it can work out if you're persistent when new cards come around. I don't expect that anytime too soon, late spring I'm thinking at the earliest for consumer level gaming stuff.

Other than Amazon and Nvidia, do you guys know retailers that do not charge more than MSRP?

Other than Amazon and Nvidia, do you guys know retailers that do not charge more than MSRP?

Purchased my 1080ti a few weeks ago directly from EVGA. If your persistent and watch the website like a hawk, you can still get cards for MSRP. Flipped my 1070 to a 1080 to a 1080ti over the past 6 weeks or so that way.

You can guarantee Volta will be grabbed by the miners like crazy with the hope that they hash better than Pascal with lower power consumption.

If you don't really use your 1070, definitely sell it now while they are hot.

Purchased my 1080ti a few weeks ago directly from EVGA. If your persistent and watch the website like a hawk, you can still get cards for MSRP. Flipped my 1070 to a 1080 to a 1080ti over the past 6 weeks or so that way.

Looks like NE jumped on the gouging bandwagon as their 1080Ti's are $900+ when they come in and out of stock. Really the only place to get MSRP is EVGA and Nvidia direct.

Looks like NE jumped on the gouging bandwagon as their 1080Ti's are $900+ when they come in and out of stock. Really the only place to get MSRP is EVGA and Nvidia direct.

Fairly common practice for Newegg to increase price on popular items. I remember reading years back that if an item page gets enough hits (not even an actual purchase) the price goes up. Don't know how true that is today or even back then, but it doesn't sound like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Fairly common practice for Newegg to increase price on popular items. I remember reading years back that if an item page gets enough hits (not even an actual purchase) the price goes up. Don't know how true that is today or even back then, but it doesn't sound like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Right now there's a PNY plastic blower version for $999 at NE that's in stock. No thanks.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Even with the increased prices, most of them are gone really quickly.

Airline ticket websites do this already, so, it is a possibility.

I've seen B-stock cards priced higher than MSRP retail cards.

Right now there's a PNY plastic blower version for $999 at NE that's in stock. No thanks.
That's the only card actually sold by NE. Everything else I seen was by 3rd party sellers. Can't blame them if they are selling. I seen cards go for 7-800$ sold by NE but they don't last long. Going to be tough getting one at release I am sure. Just hope Nvidia doesn't try to gouge.

Back to the OP. Yes sell the card if you not really using it. It is a great time to sell. Try to sell locally to avoid the damn eBay fees. Volta should be out by June.

Last edited:
That's the only card actually sold by NE. Everything else I seen was by 3rd party sellers. Can't blame them if they are selling. I seen cards go for 7-800$ sold by NE but they don't last long. Going to be tough getting one at release I am sure. Just hope Nvidia doesn't try to gouge.

Back to the OP. Yes sell the card if you not really using it. It is a great time to sell. Try to sell locally to avoid the damn eBay fees. Volta should be out by June.

Agreed, if you don't use it just sell it. You can always buy a lower-end card somewhere for a lot cheaper.

I still have my older GTX 970 as a backup card...is that a good mining card as well?...can I make a killing selling it now?

I still have my older GTX 970 as a backup card...is that a good mining card as well?...can I make a killing selling it now?
Maxwell cards were not really good at mining, but its still a good gaming card. You could probably get about $150 ~ $200 for it.

eVGA just bumped their prices now too. Up $60 a card for most of them. =( Sigh.

Won't do you any good. Volta will be sold out just as soon as its launched. We'll be lucky to find them on shelves before 2020.

I've lost all faith in the industry at this point. /salty

My wife likes to log into my EVGA Elite account and watch for stuff to come in stock :D

If it's really just a backup card then you should really consider selling it.
Recently here on the forums someone said that during a gold rush it's good to be the one selling the shovels. That really made sense and stuck with me.
I picked up a 970 cheap off craigslist this past weekend. I listed it last night on ebey for $275 buy it now. It sold in less than an hour and the person paid immediately.
I also had picked up a 1060 for $200 maybe a month ago. I listed it as well. It sold for $400, buy it now, again in less than an hour. I dropped them off this morning since my post office has a drop off thing inside. I maybe could have even got more if I had an auction and waited it out, but who knows when this bubble will burst or when stores will have more stock.
Yes, there are ebay and paypal fees, but people are desperate for shovels, even if they aren't the latest model. I doubt you will find a better time to sell.

Back