Distrubution list error on Outlook w/Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by YeOldeStonecat, Nov 26, 2008.

1. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Exchange 2K3 sp2 on SBS 2K3 Standard
    Outlook 2K3 clients...
    All Microsoft updates on both sides

This one girl at this client always seems to push her Outlook abilities and come up with oddball errors.

She has a few distribution lists in her Contacts...

One list is about 170 addresses...she added 4x new addresses last week. ...the following day..went to this contact list to open it.. and "'Cant open. Not enough memory available on the microsoft exchange server computer to perform the operation."

Googling this is proving a bit fruitless....shows many people have bumped into this issue..but I cannot find an authoritative answer.

It seems to open up fine if I go in through OWA

Her mailbox has had the default limits as far as size removed.

Network is 15x nodes.

I'm guessing Exchange has some max size you can have for distro lists? If so, any way to tweak? Having a limit of under 200 seems....lame.

2. marley1

marley1 [H]ardness Supreme

say it works in OWA?

did you try a new profile, just for a quick test?

3. TechieSooner

TechieSooner [H]ardness Supreme

What if... To at least try... You made that distribution list the only member of a new distribution list?

4. Gott

Gott [H]ardness Supreme

It appears to be an Outlook issue on her end. Microsoft recommends ~100 contacts per distribution list so if you need more, create multiple distribution lists.

5. TechieSooner

??? Where did they say this? I've never heard that before.

6. blk95civicex

blk95civicex Limp Gawd

What I have found is that there is no set limit on the number of contacts in a distro list. What limits the size is the amount of information stored for each contact, if that makes any sense. I have been unable to find any info on what that size limit is.

7. Gott

Gott [H]ardness Supreme

As you can virtually have as many contacts in a distribution list, you'll most likely run into problems. I've encountered something very similar to this when I was adding just under 250 contacts and experience issues with Outlook.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238569

8. TechieSooner

Holy crap! They redid their HS site. Me like.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

This is what I seem to be finding in various forums...although I've not been able to find any authoritative answer..such as from MS....just hints on the "size".

What I did through OWA.....she had about 1 dozen entries that were multiple entries for the same "name"..although each entry was separate for a different e-mail address for the same person. So..if she had one person with 3x different e-mail addresses..she made 3x separate entries in the group.

I deleted those, and I deleted one entry I found that had an incorrectly entered e-mail address (she had a typo)

And it opened OK for her.

Just a bandaid fix obviously. So.....if she puts back the duplicate names...I'm sure she'll hit the problem again.

I make one entry and if they had multiple e-mail addresses..I add those to the same entry. However...this may not work for her, as she needs to send an e-mail out to all the addresses. Multiple addresses on one contact...AFAIK, it will only send to the primary.