Distro suggestion for specific server

Tink

Weaksauce
Looking for suggestions on what distro to use for just DHCP servers. The machines these will be running on have a 500mhz processor and 128 megs of ram with a 10 gig hdd. Looking for as small a footprint as I can get, but it needs to be a hdd based install as these machines will not have a CD or Floppy after the install is done. They will sit in a closet as a headless machine, doing nothing but DHCP. I run FC4 on the other linux boxen on my network but thought there may be a better, smaller, solution for this specific task.

Thanks
Nate

Well, it seems like the best option for you would be to build your own custom linux installation, take for example maybe DSL (Damn small linux), I have never used it myself but I am pretty sure you could tailor it to your specific need.

However if you do have enough expirience then choose any source based distro and install it with just the components needed for your specific needs. My personal choice would be slackware since Its source based and has high potential to be tailored for each user. When you are installing it, you can choose exactly what you want and that makes it the prefect distro. If you have time to kill you could always go with gentoo which is yet another great distro to be made just for what you need.

slackware wouldn't be a bad choice. Got it running on a router/nat box here, does that task just fine.

I would use Debian. A basic install is around 200mb. Debian is very stable and with no GUI, will run just fine on the hardware you have.

MorfiusX said:
I would use Debian. A basic install is around 200mb. Debian is very stable and with no GUI, will run just fine on the hardware you have.

Another good option, with distros like that its simply comes down to personal choice.

rubasu said:
its simply comes down to personal choice.
This is very true. The packages are generally the same from distro to distro. It's the little things that make some one prefer one distro to another.

Downloading the Debian netinst image to try out, thanks for the suggestions.

Back