District 9 Director to Helm new RoboCop Movie

Tbh, I don't like Reboots, but it's been long enough, they need to update the visuals and the worlds. The slightly distopian future and humor about it fit the period. Looks cheeseball now. Yeah they did the one reboot, but it sucked. They needed to update the visuals tweak the humor, instead they had a half-ass aborted commentary on drones. Robocop is not a lecture morality to us movie. They should reboot the reboot or remake the original however you want to look at it.

All these fuckin remakes GOD!

Anyways, The original Robocop is and always will be the best.

District 9 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I kept thinking I was watching the wrong movie - maybe another movie with the same name, unfortunately that wasn't the case. So my expectations aren't high for this new RoboCop.

Ugh! More reboot, rehash, redux, etc. And Hollywood wonders why people don't want to go to the theaters any more! Pass.

I never liked the original robocop movies so this won't be one I will rush to go see.

Neil forcing the same political statement into every movie he does gets old. I don't want to get into politics here at all, so I'll leave it at that.

That out of the way, nobody but Neil can meld sci-fi robots or aliens into human reality so convincingly, since James Cameron's 80s films IMO. Its incredible how real D9 and Chappie look.

Yeah, I don't know why all these people in this thread believe that there was going to be a sequel to District 9.

District 9 was an excellent movie so of course people want to see another one.

The end of the movie was totally open aswell so make a District 10!

I know I would watch that before another Star wars movie.

I guess I am one of the weird guys that liked the 2014 movie. No, it wasn't a hyper gore, balls to the wall action flick in 80's style, but on its own it was a good film, and one of the few Robocop movies that could actually be a family title. That being said, I absolutely loved the first two movies, and really wish this new movie would perhaps include the second movie in its lore.

I can see Neil Blomkamp pulling this off mainly due to his existing body of work. Paul Verhoeven said in an interview that the quirky elements (campy commercials and over the top violence) of Robocop were because he was foreigner making an American movie and he just viewed things different than American directors at that time. The 2014 reboot just didn't have that hook in the movie and it will be interesting to see if Neil (South African / Canadian) can pull that off.

Plus maybe he can get Sharlto Copley to play a villain / henchman / mad scientist. :cool:

Shh, it's ok, now go watch the Ghostbusters and Poltergeist remakes while drink two cups of Drano(DON'T DRINK THE FUCKING DRANO!!!) as you slowly slip to sleep, dreaming of those fond childhood memories they took a shit on.
I haven't seen any of the remakes mentioned in this thread, but I hadn't even heard of a Poltergeist remake. That one is news to me.

That said, I'm kinda tempted to check out Judge Dredd or Dredd or whatever after reading this thread. Funny enough, I thought the original one with Stallone was dumb.

Yeah, I found District 9 to be one f the most overrrated stories ever put to screen . DID YOU KNOW THEY HAVE CONCENTRATION CAMPS YOU SHOULD FELS BADS. It was like "BABY'S FIRST WWII FILM, EXCEPT WITH ALIENS!"

Then the "captor gets a taste of his own medicine" is not even creative at this point, although the process was dressed-up in pretty alien goo to distract you from how obvious it was.

I have no desire to see his later films (and based on the falling viewership of Elysium and Chappie most people agree with me).

Last edited:
Tbh, I don't like Reboots, but it's been long enough, they need to update the visuals and the worlds. The slightly distopian future and humor about it fit the period. Looks cheeseball now. Yeah they did the one reboot, but it sucked. They needed to update the visuals tweak the humor, instead they had a half-ass aborted commentary on drones. Robocop is not a lecture morality to us movie. They should reboot the reboot or remake the original however you want to look at it.

It was always cheesy to paraphrase another 80's classic. They never made them like that.

We all know that however this story appears nothing will come out of it.

love cliffs "about" tag

"Washed up "dudebro" game developer OR legendary creative genius...depends on who you ask. :)I love dogs.

edit and his reply

If there is no Peter Weller there is no robocop. Luckily he is still around. I enjoyed him in that somewhat recent Star Trek movie. Maybe Wellers Robocop could return as an obsolete model brought back online to save the day from omnicorps newest line of oppressive robots.
He was also in Sons of Anarchy, and did a pretty good job playing an ex-cop! But I agree, No Pete, No re-Pete!

The reboot was well made but lacked the soul of the rated-R original. The new film should be a sequel to the reboot with bloody violent action. If not, it will fail and will be the final nail on Blomkamp's career. Which is a shame as D9 is a favorite of mine but his follow up films are SJW weak sauce.

I wasn't a huge fan of Robocop 2. That stop motion or whatever RC2 still makes me uncomfortable. The first one though is probably my favorite movie of all time, so I can't wait for this to come out.

Wtf

I really thought the dude would get human again in part two.

Looks like he is fuked then.

He's a fookin Prawn mon!

All seriousness, not sure Neil B is doing. Right now he does need to get right in the head and realize that District 9 (part II) is his path. No Chappie 2, no RoboCop 5.3, no Alien part 40, it's D9 time!!!!

P.S. Any movie out of Oats Studios would be awesome.

Some of the effects in Robocop are way more fun to watch than the cg stuff today. Its the physics, the mind can't accept bs physics.

He's a fookin Prawn mon!

All seriousness, not sure Neil B is doing. Right now he does need to get right in the head and realize that District 9 (part II) is his path. No Chappie 2, no RoboCop 5.3, no Alien part 40, it's D9 time!!!!

P.S. Any movie out of Oats Studios would be awesome.

Sharlto Copley is a magic actor.

In a good role the dude is a genius. < dont blame him for A Team.

South african white people accents are fukin leet.

Sharlto in hardcore henry, wtf, dude should of got an oscar for that role, fucking crazy magic uberleet punch in the face role.

Everyone atleast once in their lives should be made to watch hardcore henry and Koyaanisqatsi, which shartlo isnt in, nobody is in that movie but fuck it, everyone needs to watch them both.

He really needs to be in a war movie as some hard as nails little shit special forces dude < sf are small people in real life, only in america do they look like roid users.

Plus, he needs to be the next star of one of the bourne movies but this time killing his way through africa and then on into europe.

< I hart Sharlto Copley, South African special forces used to rape the world, < perfect role for him.

Whatever, this movie will be shit. Nothing holds a candle to the original Robocop. Peter Weller is boss. Screamers was bad ass too.

View attachment 88581

Oh hell yes. Action movies have become far too tame.

I'm not saying they need to recreate this scene but they need this level of violence in it. Same with Emil getting zombie-splatted by the truck.

It's just not Robocop without it. Gratuitous nudity I could really care less about but definitely need the one-liner jokes in the right places. And a legit ED-209 upgrade... that doesnt have stair problems or need some jetpack shit.

I love that he never took his helmet off which was more true to the comic. I feel like most studios like to write in reasons to show the actors face too much so they can say "see, see, look at the A-list actor we hired to play this character." Yeah, I know because I can read credits and I don't magically think the character is a different actor halfway through the movie. Now put the damn mask/helmet back on. Think of all the Spider-Man movies for how many times this happened.
I watched Edge of Tomorrow recently and it struck me how blatantly obvious they were making their helmets out to be more fragile than a Burger King kid's hat just so they could constantly toss them aside to show the actors' faces. As if anyone watching it with the original audio track isn't going to recognize the voice of Tim Croze, who was huge after Dangerous Enterprise.

I thought the reboot film was mediocre at best. It totally missed many of the more important themes in the original and it lacked any kind of soul. However, its way better than Robocop 3, the TV shitty live action TV series, the cartoons, and the TV mini-series starting with Robocop: Prime Directives.

Did anyone like the reboot of Dredd? I really enjoyed it and would like to see a sequel. Maybe that director and/or writers can do the new Robocop unless you think the movie needs a little more camp. As far as the 2014 Robocop...meh, it was ok. One scene that always stuck out to me in the original is when he hit that guy that was covered in toxic waste and how he just 'spilled' over the car. So gross but so memorable. Can't think of anything in the 2014 version that stuck out unlike the original.

i liked the reboot because it's truer to the story where as the originals aren't.. the only problem the reboot had was the excessive use of slow-mo camera work that really killed it for me. either way i'd rather see the next movie follow the 2014 movie over the original series which was just a glorified Stallone advertisement while americanizing the shit out of a British comic series. Dredd's suppose to be a scary motherfucking anti-hero that no one wants to cross paths with, the 1995 movies are the exact opposite of that.

I thought the reboot film was mediocre at best. It totally missed many of the more important themes in the original and it lacked any kind of soul. However, its way better than Robocop 3, the TV shitty live action TV series, the cartoons, and the TV mini-series starting with Robocop: Prime Directives.

the originals are total bullshit.. the only thing they got right was the art for Mega City One(even though the background story for why Mega City One existed was americanized). outside of that none of it was correct. sadly though Dredd had no where near the same budget Robocop had.

Last edited:
i liked the reboot because it's truer to the story where as the originals aren't.. the only problem the reboot had was the excessive use of slow-mo camera work that really killed it for me. either way i'd rather see the next movie follow the 2014 movie over the original series which was just a glorified Stallone advertisement while americanizing the shit out of a British comic series. Dredd's suppose to be a scary motherfucking anti-hero that no one wants to cross paths with, the 1995 movies are the exact opposite of that.

the originals are total bullshit.. the only thing they got right was the art for Mega City One(even though the background story for why Mega City One existed was americanized). outside of that none of it was correct. sadly though Dredd had no where near the same budget Robocop had.

I am talking about the original Robocop movies, not Judge Dredd or the remake of that film.

Back