Dissapointed at Far Cry 2

P!rate

Move Like a MoFo
I have this game, and when i first started playing it, i was really looking forward to this game, but after i installed it, and ran it, the first things that came to me was, "wtf's wrong with the graphics"? I have everything on maximum with 1900x1200, and personally, these graphics are equal to or less than that of cod4; not a graphic oriented type of game..

Your in the African jungle, its supposed to be B.A. graphics, but all i noticed was bad gameplay and odd missions. For example, you wake up in a hotel getting shot, i climb out of it, get shot up like Eminem in his childhood, and then i seem to have done that correctly.. i end up in a bed and the guys like "ok good, now go fix my car". I havent played this game more than 2 hours, but do you think its worth it?

It was a lot of fun, I thought the graphics and environment were very immersive.

The missions... kinda repetitive. The respawning guard posts, really annoying, though they are easy to clear in a matter of seconds... Other than that, I greatly enjoyed exploring the world.

Immersive really? I kind of felt like it didnt respond at all :p, i would crash into a tree and nothing moves but a little smoke on my hood.

OP, curious to see the results of the FC2 bench test with your 8800gt at the 1920 reso w/all on maximum. Have you tried doing that yet?

I rocked 30fps with 8x aa, but turned it down to about 2x and it went up to around ~50. How would i bench test this?

ok, found out how to do it, ill benchmark it in an hour or so and get back to you :), im supposed to be studying :p

join the club there are a bajillion threads in the past about how bad this game is. Quite frankly, the graphics are the game's BEST POINT.

You are due for new levels of disappointment you have never experienced before past 2 hrs that don't really alleviate until about 10 hours in and the second area opens up.

The only thing that kept me going through the game were the sunrises and sunsets...

Graphics on this game are ridiculously good especially later in the game around the desert, the light is heavenly during the morning, not sure what's wrong with your computer...COD4 textures and lighting, IMO, was way worse.

Gameplay wise, yes uninstall it and jump on the bandwagon before you have to experience firsthand why we all hate it.

Yeah, I love the graphics. especially its evening sunset effect, and the weather effect too, its quite pretty

I did enjoy the main mission, but the side missions are just a pain. I also dislike having to spend more than 2/3 of my gameplay time traveling

when I first bought this game months ago, I thought I wasted my money, and played to about 33%. an i7 920, GTX 280 and 28" monitor later and I love this game. Just completed it this past weekend. For whatever reason it really became addictive as I got better at completing missions and upgraded weapons and accuracy. Even began enjoying long walks and fighting the respawned camps. Now I have want predators and more animals in the game. I think once you get to the second map the game is much much better. Hope they come out with a large single player expansion map soon. Really thinking about playing it over now that I have more appreciation for the game and using the environment better.

when I first bought this game months ago, I thought I wasted my money, and played to about 33%. an i7 920, GTX 280 and 28" monitor later and I love this game. Just completed it this past weekend. For whatever reason it really became addictive as I got better at completing missions and upgraded weapons and accuracy. Even began enjoying long walks and fighting the respawned camps. Now I have want predators and more animals in the game. I think once you get to the second map the game is much much better. Hope they come out with a large single player expansion map soon. Really thinking about playing it over now that I have more appreciation for the game and using the environment better.
=O wtf how were you so patient to fight through the respawned camps for EVERY SINGLE TIME you wanted to move from one spot to another?

Grenade Launcher Truck is very fun.. and how you clear out the guard posts very quickly.

[H]adouken;1033893546 said:
jump on the bandwagon before you have to experience firsthand why we all hate it.

We don't all hate it. I'm still playing it. Currently on my 4th run through (just added the fortunes pack too).

[H]adouken;1033893800 said:
=O wtf how were you so patient to fight through the respawned camps for EVERY SINGLE TIME you wanted to move from one spot to another?

By treating it as part of the game, rather than as something that's getting in the way of rushing through and beating it as quickly as possible. Or by taking boats. Or by driving around them.

Yeah, I love the graphics. especially its evening sunset effect, and the weather effect too, its quite pretty

I did enjoy the main mission, but the side missions are just a pain. I also dislike having to spend more than 2/3 of my gameplay time traveling
except for the wonky looking characters the graphics were really nice. there were places in the game that I just looked around and said damn. also weapons sound really good too.

all the missions felt the same. either take the damn bus or drive and watch everybody in the region try to kill you. and oh those stupid respawning checkpoints. the game could have been so great but it missed the mark.

We don't all hate it. I'm still playing it. Currently on my 4th run through (just added the fortunes pack too).

By treating it as part of the game, rather than as something that's getting in the way of rushing through and beating it as quickly as possible. Or by taking boats. Or by driving around them.
4th play through? I would rather pluck out my pubes one by one then to play it again. the problem with the respawning checkpoints were that they killed immersion. I mean you could blow one to smithereens and two minutes later it would look like you had never been there. all the buildings and vehicles would be right back in tact and and packed with new enemies.

4th play through? I would rather pluck out my pubes one by one then to play it again. the problem with the respawning checkpoints were that they killed immersion. I mean you could blow one to smithereens and two minutes later it would look like you had never been there. all the buildings and vehicles would be right back in tact and and packed with new enemies.

seriously... I played it through once and will probably never play it again. Sure there was some fun stuff, but not near as good as other games. And the ending is dumb....

Having to rush around to save your "friends" that always decided to include you on their suicide missions was the worst.

And the part where you have to choose to try to save your friends or save the priest. I must've spent over 2 hours barricading the bar to try to stay alive.... and even when that worked, the game floors you after a specific amount of time anyway.. even if you have full life and have killed almost all the bad guys.

I do agree that the respawning could be improved, like a bunch of other stuff like the absolutely shit ending(s), but the vitriol directed at this game is utterly out of proportion to it's flaws. "Worst game of the decade hands down"? Please.

I do agree that the respawning could be improved, like a bunch of other stuff like the absolutely shit ending(s), but the vitriol directed at this game is utterly out of proportion to it's flaws. "Worst game of the decade hands down"? Please.
yeah I personally would give it a 5 or 6 out of 10 because it certainly kept me somewhat entertained for a couple weeks. for some perspective I would give Dead Space a 9.5/10, FEAR 2 a 6/10 and Alone in the Dark a 1/10.

Graphics are excellent but the gameplay mechanics are beyond dire. One words sums it up - monotonous!

I really did enjoy the graphics of the game. The fires were great. The openness of the world made the missions much better because you could tackle them in different ways.

I also played the game for a good amount of hours.

It certainly has ZERO reply value and the check points suck but they serve the purpose of keeping you fighting, over wise you would just wipe them out at the beginning and really have nothing to do but drive around.

They could have made the check point take a lot longer to respawn and I think that would have fixed a lot of the complaint (maybe 10-15 minutes)

Overall I enjoyed it as the mindlessness it was, it's not the greatest game in the world and I've played much worse. I had fun getting all the diamonds and just shooting people which is the fun of the game.

I didn't finish the game though...Mirrors edge and FO3 came along.

Again, I didn't find it all the bad and had fun with it. It is certainly not the 'worst game of the decade'

I have yet to play this game but after reading so much bad stuff about it, i am so curious to try it. I like games that give you the freedom to go and do what you want. I don't think i would mind the respawning checkpoints since i probably take it as part of the game and giving me more action.

so really, all those FC2 haters, anyone willing to help your [H] comrade help you to take the terrible terrible game off your hand ($10 or less) and have a go at it myself? :):)

I feel it shouldn't have been a Far Cry game. It certainly isn't a Far Cry 2. The only thing it has in common with Far Cry is the focus on beautiful scenery.

Wait, if you just got out of hotel, you haven't seen nothing yet. I was actually impressed by some places; missions are repetitive though.

One of the select few games in my life that gives me a sickening feeling when I think about my purchase. I actually feel abused the gameplay was so bad. There is something egregious about this one.

It came free with my 9800 GTX, so I didn't feel horribly cheated by it.

As for the question earlier, yes I would fight through everytime. I became very efficient at surprising them, getting a vehicle quickly and running over the rest. Something that was very subtle and enjoyable was the slow ramp up of intensity. Can't explain it, but it just became fun as I got better.

I feel it shouldn't have been a Far Cry game. It certainly isn't a Far Cry 2. The only thing it has in common with Far Cry is the focus on beautiful scenery.

This I TOTALLY disagree with. If anything, as the game went on it felt more and more like Far Cry(which is my favorite game of all time). I've rushed through several games over the last couple of months, then I came back to Far Cry 2. I had a week to burn, so I just decided to take my time and learn how to fight the stops, and how to hang glide correctly. Even learned how to quickly dispose of vehicles chasing me. Can't explain it any better than this, but it really became fun and I hated to see that the game was ending and I couldn't explore anymore. Definitely gonna play again with a couple of the Packs installed.

Things I'd like to see later:

1.) Another large map taking place during the game that ties in with the rest of the game. Especially with lots of desert terrain.
2.) Some type of short range flying vehicle besides just hang gliding
3.) Predators. The argument that they would eat all the herbivores is ridiculous. There are tons more herbavores in any environment than Predators. Plus predators can only eat so much. Want Crocs and Hippoes in the rivers. Gorrillas in the highland jungle parts. Maybe some big raptors in the mountainous parts. And some lions or leopards in the grassier parts
4.) More animals, even herds. Elephants and giraffe would have been nice.
5.) Some single player co-op play with your buddies. Would make for some nice missions. Would have been nice to drive while one of the girls is shooting, or if you take a jeep they just ride with you.

otherwise great game. I still have catching up with other games like COD 4 and World at War, but I think I may play through this again first.

This I TOTALLY disagree with. If anything, as the game went on it felt more and more like Far Cry(which is my favorite game of all time).

Then explain the similarities other than gameplay and graphics. How is it at all deserving of being the second Far Cry?

As for the question earlier, yes I would fight through everytime. I became very efficient at surprising them, getting a vehicle quickly and running over the rest. Something that was very subtle and enjoyable was the slow ramp up of intensity. Can't explain it, but it just became fun as I got better.

So you're a fan of tedious and endless repetition.

It didn't bother you that all this nice work you talk about doing was literally rendered meaningless because those same enemies, same structures, same foliage would all resurrect over and over again ad infinitum?

There's literally no point to doing anything in the game whatsoever.

How in the hell is that fun?

Then explain the similarities other than gameplay and graphics. How is it at all deserving of being the second Far Cry?

It's not. Not even remotely close.

So you're a fan of tedious and endless repetition.

It didn't bother you that all this nice work you talk about doing was literally rendered meaningless because those same enemies, same structures, same foliage would all resurrect over and over again ad infinitum?

There's literally no point to doing anything in the game whatsoever.

How in the hell is that fun?

It's not. Not even remotely close.

But almost all other FPS games do the same exact thing, just some wrap it in a pretty story with an equally lame ending. Some have a farce story with an equally lame ending.

In the end you run through the same looking areas, fight the same enemies, some games even make them respawn endlessly. Most don't even have things that can go boom (in in FC2 case come back to go boom again) Most have linear paths you need to follow. Missions are usually the same (get this, kill that).

But almost all other FPS games do the same exact thing, just some wrap it in a pretty story with an equally lame ending. Some have a farce story with an equally lame ending.

In the end you run through the same looking areas, fight the same enemies, some games even make them respawn endlessly. Most don't even have things that can go boom (in in FC2 case come back to go boom again) Most have linear paths you need to follow. Missions are usually the same (get this, kill that).

I don't know what to tell you except I've played a lot of games and a lot of FPSs and I've never seen something quite like Far Cry 2, where you're basically in a place where things and people can resurrect into eternity and you literally have no effect on the gameworld whatsoever.

There's lno incentive in the game whatsoever.

There's literally no point in doing anything and there's no real story in this game to speak of. Like I've said several times in the past: It's a great tech demo, but that's all it is.

The key words here are "implementation" and "execution." Pretty visuals and sounds aside, FC2 fails miserably on those two items regardless of anything else, at least IMO.

The extra anger comes from people feeling cheated, because so many bought the game. Hyped bad games are worse than just bad games, because they get purchased.

Back