Displayport to HDMI adapters?

MaZa

2[H]4U
I just ordered myself Oculus Rift + Touch Bundle and suddenly noticed that I have only one HDMI port in my graphics card and that is reserved for my Samsung TV that I use as a monitor.

So question is, what is the cheapest option to convert one of my DP ports into HDMI? I know there are some adapters, Club 3D in particular but that is rather expensive. I can buy ICZI DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from ebay quite cheap and it does promise to support 3820x2160 @ 60hz but I do not know how good it is. There is also the question of lag, do such adapters add much of it? Adding lag to either Oculus or my Samsung would be bad.

*edit* Actually I read that I should either get a passive DP -> HDMI cable (and hope my GTX1080 uses DP++) or experiment with DVI-D -> HDMI adapter which I should have around somewhere. Oculus SHOULD work through that as well.

Last edited:
I picked up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S0C7QO8/

My Rift didn't like it, but it works fine for my TV. I haven't noticed any additional lag, but occasionally on a reboot the TV forgets that it was in PC mode and I have to reset it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oculus haven't arrived yet but I quickly got a DVI-D HDMI adapter and tested it with my TV to make sure the DVI port is working and it worked really well. Actually a little too well. How the hell is DVI-D port outputting 2160p @ 60hz in 4:4:4!!!? I thought dual link DVI ends in 1440p or something! :eek:

DVI-D port outputting 2160p @ 60hz in 4:4:4

Unless the 1080 you have in your sig somehow routes the DVI through a HDMI 2.0 port or something what you're describing is in fact impossible. DVI should only be able to do 4K @ 30Hz max.

Unless the 1080 you have in your sig somehow routes the DVI through a HDMI 2.0 port or something what you're describing is in fact impossible. DVI should only be able to do 4K @ 30Hz max.

Yeah I guess that is what is happening. It must pass a HDMI 2.0 signal through it when an adapter is used. A pleasant surprise though. But I still use my TV through the real HDMI port and my oculus is in the adapter.

I just ordered myself Oculus Rift + Touch Bundle and suddenly noticed that I have only one HDMI port in my graphics card and that is reserved for my Samsung TV that I use as a monitor.

So question is, what is the cheapest option to convert one of my DP ports into HDMI? I know there are some adapters, Club 3D in particular but that is rather expensive. I can buy ICZI DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from ebay quite cheap and it does promise to support 3820x2160 @ 60hz but I do not know how good it is. There is also the question of lag, do such adapters add much of it? Adding lag to either Oculus or my Samsung would be bad.

*edit* Actually I read that I should either get a passive DP -> HDMI cable (and hope my GTX1080 uses DP++) or experiment with DVI-D -> HDMI adapter which I should have around somewhere. Oculus SHOULD work through that as well.

Run the Rift directly in the hdmi port and use one of the cheap DP ->hdmi adapters for the tv and it should work fine. The Rift sometimes has issues with the adapters, so as long as you use the adapter for the tv there should be no issues.

Thanks, but the Rift works fantastically through the DVI HDMI adapter. To my great surprise actually.

Back