DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 4K120Hz (ie, hdmi 2.1) is "out"

zurv

Limp Gawd
https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2496/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_4k120hz_hdr_active_adapter_m-f/

I'm really looking forward to getting this. (it doesn't seem to be on sale yet.)

I'm connecting my HT PC (kingpin 2080ti SLI) to LG c9 77"

NEW Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 4K120Hz HDR Active Adapter M/F
The Club 3D CAC-1085 is the perfect solution to connect to any HDMI 4K120Hz ready displays. If you have a DisplayPort 1.4 ready PC or any other device that lacks the new HDMI 4K120Hz specification, the Club3D CAC-1085 will be the simple way to upgrade your device and connect to your new TV.
With its DP1.4 DSC video compression technology, this adapter is able to convert DP1.4 video signals to HDMI 2.1, supporting video display resolutions up to 8K (7680 x 4320)@60Hz and creating life like colors and movements with HDR giving users the ultimate visual experience. The Adapter is powered thru an USB Type C to USB Type A cable (provided with the product).

Features:
  • Compliant with VESA DisplayPort v1.4 Specification
  • Compliant with HDMI v2.1 Specification
  • Support HDCP 1.4 and HDCP2.2
  • Support DSC v1.2a and backward compatible with the former version
  • Support Max. resolution/refresh rates up to 4k@120Hz
  • Support Dynamic HDR
  • Sound Support 5.1-7.1
Applications:
  • For the host device like laptop, desktop, video converter adaptor, docking station, projector, gaming and display system like TV, digital signage, VR/AR system.
  • Perfect for Host Devices which are featured with the DP1.4 graphic card that supports DP video signal output for gaming, commercial applications.
Supported resolutions:
  • Support Max. resolution/timing up to 4k@120Hz
  • OS Support: All
This product is SPECIFICALLY designed to work with the latest Graphics Processing Units (GPU's) which supports DSC 1.2:
At the time of printing, these are the supported GPUs.:
  • AMD NAVI: RX5700, RX5600XT, RX5700XT, RADEON VII, RX5500XT.
  • NVIDIA TURING RTX : TITAN RTX, RTX 2080, RTX 2070, RTX 2060
  • QUADRO : RTX8000, RTX6000, RTX5000, RTX4000, RTX3000 MOBILE
  • Intel Gen11 based: Ice Lake, Iris Plus Graphics, UHD Graphics

Last edited:
I'm curious if this also allows existing graphics solutions to drive 8k (TVs) @ 60hz using DSC. Even Ice Lake's Iris Plus G7 graphics supposedly supports DSC and up to 8K resolution -- it wouldn't be for gaming, but maybe for productivity.

I'd rather take 120fps than gysnc at 60hz. It isn't like i'm not upgrading in sept... so something to hold me over till then. Now the issue is that is isn't really out :( ie, no place has it for sale yet.

Dead on Arrival

There is a small window between now and when Ampere/RDNA2 cards launch that this will be viable.

Honestly, I want to enjoy 4K120 444 on my OLED bad enough, I'm thinking of getting this as soon as it hits Amazon. Might also use it to hold me over until the GFX card prices drop down from ridiculous from pent-up demand.

I'd rather take 120fps than gysnc at 60hz. It isn't like i'm not upgrading in sept... so something to hold me over till then. Now the issue is that is isn't really out :( ie, no place has it for sale yet.

I'd rather take 120Hz at 4:2:0 chroma WITH VRR on a LG OLED than use this thing just to get 120Hz 444 chroma with NO VRR. Having no VRR is going to be a way more negative impact to gaming vs having 420 chroma.

I'd rather take 120Hz at 4:2:0 chroma WITH VRR on a LG OLED

That's still a CX only feature, while a lot of us are sticking with the C9.

(AVSForum)
"...further into 2020..., or never...
- support for 4K/120Hz 8-bit SDR 4:2:0 via HDMI 2.0 - It is not known if it will be enabled for C9;"

And even if it had it, text looks like ass, colors are all off...that's not why I bought an OLED lol.

That's still a CX only feature, while a lot of us are sticking with the C9.

(AVSForum)
"...further into 2020..., or never...
- support for 4K/120Hz 8-bit SDR 4:2:0 via HDMI 2.0 - It is not known if it will be enabled for C9;"

And even if it had it, text looks like ass, colors are all off...that's not why I bought an OLED lol.

C9 owners, guess that makes sense. Although we are only a few months away from Ampere so really this product is simply too late. And 444 chroma is only going to make a major difference in desktop use. In games chroma subsampling is a lot harder to notice.

Too bad no VRR. I'd rather take 4k 60hz VRR over 4k 120hz non-VRR. I'd only do it if I can maintain 4k 120hz mininum 24/7. Sometimes I can't even pull 4K 60hz minimum (on most modern games with max settings) even with a 2x2080Ti.

This is now listed in my country for 63 euros inc 24% VAT, availability estimated for end of the month.

I have a LG CX 48" coming hopefully next week and I am considering this adapter as it would be nice to use 4K 120 Hz everywhere. Which 30xx series Nvidia GPUs get released in September, when they are available in stores (and how bad is the stock situation) and how they perform is a complete mystery at this point so this would give me more time on my 2080 Ti so I can wait for the full lineup and maybe some sales.

Lack of VRR is a bummer but not a deal breaker for me at least. From the forum thread linked above there is also this quote:
Hello ! End of June is the expected release date – no VRR no Gsync no Freesync on this first batch .. it might be possible to upgrade with a firmware support in the future but no guarantee there.

The device is powered with USB so it might be possible to do a firmware update that way too.

There is a small window between now and when Ampere/RDNA2 cards launch that this will be viable.

Honestly, I want to enjoy 4K120 444 on my OLED bad enough, I'm thinking of getting this as soon as it hits Amazon. Might also use it to hold me over until the GFX card prices drop down from ridiculous from pent-up demand.

Keep in mind, current NVIDIA card's don't support 10-bit 444 for "reasons", and it's not known if the 3000 series will address this. So you might have to drop to 422 if you want 4k120.

And yes, many of us are pestering NVIDIA tech support.

4K120 444 10bpc would require 32.27Gbps, so DSC would be required over DP1.4 (which is supposed to part of Turing's spec).

Is the 10bit option just greyed out in nvcpl?

The adapter supports DSC so that should be no problem as long as you have an Nvidia 20xx or AMD Navi card.

Due to lack of HDMI 2.1 GPUs what NVCP does is a mystery. It might report 12-bit color and instead output 10 or 8-bit.

4K120 444 10bpc would require 32.27Gbps, so DSC would be required over DP1.4 (which is supposed to part of Turing's spec).

Is the 10bit option just greyed out in nvcpl?

Try doing 1080p 4:4:4; 10-bit is greyed out, and NVIDIA has basically said they only support 8-bit and 12-bit @ 4:4:4, regardless of resolution. [Tested on my B6P; holding off until I get reviews with the 3xxx series].

So there fear is we'll have to drop to 4:2:2, as HDMI 2.1 doesn't have the bandwidth for 4k120 HDR 4:4:4. Some of us are REALLY pestering NVIDIA on this point.

Has anyone heard anything else on this, or seen it in stock? It's near the end of the month, so... :meh:

Has anyone heard anything else on this, or seen it in stock? It's near the end of the month, so... :meh:

One of the local dealers still shows 30.6.2020 for availability so let's see in a few days. Hopefully I will also get my LG CX 48" this week.

Would help if I use this cable with my RTX 2080 Ti + Samsung 4k TV Q90R ( 60 Hz / HDMI 2.0 ) over my regular HDMI cable ??

The Q90R his limited 2.1 functionality on input 4. What exactly it supports is not clearly documented, though. It simply states that "4K 120 Hz" is supported on this input.

So Club3D finally got back to me and they sent me a firmware update for the adapter that was supposed to fix the black screens and it was an improvement in that respect but I still managed to get several no signal situations when I was testing with my CX 48.

I have to send mine back early next week, it still has so many unsolved issues for me. I would be happy to get a reasonably stable 4K 120 Hz but it always requires power cycling and does not output at 4:4:4 no matter what.

Last edited:
So Club3D finally got back to me and they sent me a firmware update for the adapter that was supposed to fix the black screens and it was an improvement in that respect but I still managed to get several no signal situations when I was testing with my CX 48.

I have to send mine back early next week, it still has so many unsolved issues for me. I would be happy to get a reasonably stable 4K 120 Hz but it always requires power cycling and does not output at 4:4:4 no matter what.

Would you be willing to share this file somewhere (or send it to me by some other means), please? I'd really like to give it a try - the "no signal" issues with this adapter are really annoying, and I am waiting on a reply from Club3D. Cheers!

Would you be willing to share this file somewhere (or send it to me by some other means), please? I'd really like to give it a try - the "no signal" issues with this adapter are really annoying, and I am waiting on a reply from Club3D. Cheers!

See https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2019-lg-c9–e9-dedicated-gaming-thread-consoles-and-pc.3123168/post-60009695
Billboard driver needed to install before you can run firmware update: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/20...-thread-consoles-and-pc.3123168/post-60012201

I bought the earlier CAC-1080 for UHD HDR and it failed dismally despite it being part of the release specs.
They later did a firmware update that fixed it.

But it still falls down majorly on audio output to my AVR.
The best audio output I can get on my Denon X4400H is 7.1 but at only 48KHz 16bit.
All the high def audio modes (24bit and to 192KHz) are not listed as supported. I have to connect using the HDMI 2.0b port on my 1080ti to get this to work.
I contacted Club3D and they said they havent got my AVR to test with and cant fix it!
So it appears if Club3D havent had chance to test with your AVR it might not work properly.
fyi

I bought the earlier CAC-1080 for UHD HDR and it failed dismally despite it being part of the release specs.
They later did a firmware update that fixed it.

But it still falls down majorly on audio output to my AVR.
The best audio output I can get on my Denon X4400H is 7.1 but at only 48KHz 16bit.
All the high def audio modes (24bit and to 192KHz) are not listed as supported. I have to connect using the HDMI 2.0b port on my 1080ti to get this to work.
I contacted Club3D and they said they havent got my AVR to test with and cant fix it!
So it appears if Club3D havent had chance to test with your AVR it might not work properly.
fyi

Why you'd introduce an AVR into the equation is beyond me, can't you just output sound from the pc to the avr?

i use headphones anyway, so yeah i'll just stay out of it heh.

Why you'd introduce an AVR into the equation is beyond me, can't you just output sound from the pc to the avr?

i use headphones anyway, so yeah i'll just stay out of it heh.
Odd question, I explained in the post you quoted. Its because I use an AVR (for surround) and there is an issue using this Club3D adapter with it. Its the reason I made that post!
A little research would have told you there is no 7.1 or 5.1 analogue in to most new AVRs, this one included.
The highest end Denon models get it, mine is mid range.

You did well staying out of it, none of your post was valid lol.

Last edited:
Club3D sent me a v1.0.2 firmware which seems to have finally fixed the 1920x2160 output issues I had but still has the occasional black screen problem. The firmware preceding that improved black screen issues a lot so they went from a common to a rare occurrance for me.

The adapter (or TV firmware, hard to tell before we get HDMI 2.1 GPUs) still has color space issues at 4K 120 Hz, namely outputing 4:2:2 in SDR but 4:4:4 in HDR despite both TV and NVCP/Windows Display Settings reporting 4K 120 Hz RGB SDR. This is not a huge issue for me as I run in HDR on the desktop with low SDR brightness slider setting, which results in about 120 nits brightness and makes HDR work effortlessly.

The adapter will still occasionally output wrong color space in 120 Hz HDR and the fix for that seems to be to toggle to 60 Hz and back with HDR enabled. It's easy to see this issue as washed out colors on this very website, the reds look dull for example.

For me this is getting there as a viable solution and while far from perfect, if it had released in this state I don't think most would complain that much. For me at least 4K 120 Hz is more important than VRR support. It's just so much more responsive in desktop use and my 2080 Ti can run most games stable enough to avoid significant tearing issues. If I want to use VRR I can always just switch to another HDMI output connected directly to the GPU.

To me the best way to run this adapter right now is 4K 120 Hz HDR with either 8 or 10-bit color. Screen shift and QuickStart+ should be off on the TV as Screen shift bug causes a blurry image otherwise and QuickStart+ makes the TV reset to Screen shift on.

If you want this adapter firmware, contact Club3D as I would rather not share stuff that is not publicly released. I'm sure they will release a public update when they feel comfortable to do so.

Try doing 1080p 4:4:4; 10-bit is greyed out, and NVIDIA has basically said they only support 8-bit and 12-bit @ 4:4:4, regardless of resolution. [Tested on my B6P; holding off until I get reviews with the 3xxx series].

So there fear is we'll have to drop to 4:2:2, as HDMI 2.1 doesn't have the bandwidth for 4k120 HDR 4:4:4. Some of us are REALLY pestering NVIDIA on this point.

Nvidia just confirmed this if fixed with the 30 series!

https://hardforum.com/threads/displayport-1-4-to-hdmi-4k120hz-ie-hdmi-2-1-is-out.1997921/

Back