Display Port Monitor "issue"

bencho

2[H]4U
Hi!

Just picked up my first Display Port monitors, U2414H's.

Whenever I shut off a monitor, my PC thinks the display is gone completely, thus screwing up my windows and icons. I did some Googling and saw that DP is considered PnP, so powering off simulates a layer 1 disconnection.

I also found mention of this: Disable the "DisplayData Channel Command Interface" (DDC/CI)
I've disabled this but testing still results in messing up my icons and window positions.

I'm using a 7970 with miniDP-DP cables. Am I missing a piece of the solution here?

Thanks!

If turning off the monitor messes up your desktop, then don't turn it off.

Is there a specific reason why you need to turn off your monitor? Most monitors will go to sleep and consume very little electricity even if you don't turn it off. DisplayPort is unfortunately the cause (you can switch to a different interface) but if you insist on using DisplayPort, then I'd just keep your monitor on.

If I'm gaming I'd want the other screens turned off so the room is not lit up.

Even during sleep this particular monitor pulses the power LED. I haven't found a way to fully disable it. Short of e-taping it. DP and HDMI are the only connections available on this display and getting DP to HDMI active adapters is not cost-effective.

If I'm gaming I'd want the other screens turned off so the room is not lit up.

Even during sleep this particular monitor pulses the power LED. I haven't found a way to fully disable it. Short of e-taping it. DP and HDMI are the only connections available on this display and getting DP to HDMI active adapters is not cost-effective.
You don't need active DP -> HDMI adapters for this. Passive adapters will work for this application.

Tape is your best friend in this case. Can't help you with the monitors lighting up the room while gaming, either stick with DisplayPort and put up with your icons moving around, or switch to HDMI via adapters.

You could always open up a window with a dark background on the spare monitor :D (wonder where to find one of those)

I appreciate the suggestions but further testing shows inconsistency at bootup as well.
Occasionally, the displays get all messed up and require that I go to Screen Resolution and reapply the settings (which appear to be correct).
DisplayFusion is also confused and displays the incorrect background wallpapers.

Snowknight26 - I already linked that in my first post~ Thanks!

Back