Display Port issue with R9 290x QuadFire / TriFire / CrossFire (NEED SERIOUS HELP)

Karlitos

n00b
My issue is, I can install the Catalyst Display Drivers and be able to run my desktop in eyefinity with both DVIs output of the first card used and also the display port output. But as soon as I try to run a game in 3d mode with Eyefinity or even with a single monitor plugged via the display port, the monitors start to flicker until I unplug the display port monitor it becomes fine.

Eyefinity triple DVI monitors in 1440p (CrossOvers 27Q Led-P
-Left: Plugged via Display Port to DVI adpater USB powered (active)
-Center: DVi to DVI
-Right: DVI to DVI

I have been trying to find it for almost 2 months now and I am lost.... completly.

I can run:
-QuadFire R9 290x on 1440p Panels via DVI
-QuadFire R9 290x in eyefinity with only the two DVIs outputs.
-Or each card individually in eyefinity 3 x 1440p (2 x DVI and 1 x display Port)

BUT
I cannot run CrossFire / Trifire or QuadFire in eyefinity, or I can't even with single monitor on the display port output but its fine with the DVI outputs :confused:

Conclusion: Display Port output + CrossFire : Doesn't work in 3d Mode (Games).

I really don't know why, I have tried all of the drivers.

I am using that dongle on the Display Port monitor
http://www.accellcables.com/B087B-002B.html
260311.jpg

I know its not the dongle (adapter) because I have tried two, I have tried them on each monitor and also Eyefinity works on single card. But when I try to run a game using eyefinity or a single monitor vis the display Port output of the card, the monitors start flickering like if the display port is loosing signal. Also I have been using those dongles on the same setup but with 3 x HD 6970 or same setup but with 4 x HD 7970.

I'm really tired of testing everything and trying everything I have in mind.

I have tried
-Windows 7
-Windows 8.1
-Tried different SSD
-Tried all the Rampage IV BIOS from 4406 to 4802
-Tried two different BIOSes for my cards
-Tried all different versions on my motherboard drivers (such as Intel Chipset, RST MEI...)
-Tried Catalyst 13.11 beta 6 , 7, 8, 9.2, 9.4, 9.5
Catalyst 13.11 WHLQ, 13.12 WHQL and also tried Catalyst Beta 13.30

Keep in mind that everything was fine with the same system with the same panels with the same adapters but with 3 x HD 6970 or 4 x HD 7970.

Everything is plugged like it should.
P1010858_zpseb81cc02.jpg

P1010857_zps221c3928.jpg

Thanks

Couple of things to try:

• Powering the Adapter off a USB charger, I use 1A iPhone chargers and Powered USB Hubs in my monitors. I here people have gotten better results using the higher amp iPad chargers.
  • Trying a different card as your main card (I.E. the card that has displays plugged into it).

I'm interested in finding the solution to this problem, as I'm planning a similar video card setup.

Last edited:
Did you check the firmware on the adapter? They released a newer firmware that fixed the same issue I was having on my Bizlink adapter (Bizlink is the parent company of Accell).

Had an Issue similar to this when using crossfire,turned out to be a bad DVI cable,it worked for over a year with no problems,then one day the screen just started flickering off and on.

As suiken said,try moving a different card to the slot where everything is connected.

Also since its USB powered try and connect it to a different USB port

Hello KaRlitos (everyone),

I just wanted to let you know I've forwarded your post to my team already. If you don't mind, could you please provide your systems specs (i.e. motherboard, memory, CPU, PSU...). We're going to try to reproduce the issue. It may take us a few days but I will make sure to keep you updated.

Also, could you please submit a help request with our Global Technical Support team? Here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact (If you scroll down the page a little, you'll find the contact information for our UK office, you'll find the phone number there as well as the link to the email form: http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/)

By doing so, we'll be covering both ends ;)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25747655#post25747655

Did you check the firmware on the adapter? They released a newer firmware that fixed the same issue I was having on my Bizlink adapter (Bizlink is the parent company of Accell).

Firmware is up-to-date and it is the 2.0 (latest for my adapter)

Couple of things to try:

• Powering the Adapter off a USB charger, I use 1A iPhone chargers and Powered USB Hubs in my monitors. I here people have gotten better results using the higher amp iPad chargers.
  • Trying a different card as your main card (I.E. the card that has displays plugged into it).

I'm interested in finding the solution to this problem, as I'm planning a similar video card setup.

I tried powering the adapter with a 120/240v USB adapter.

I also tried, with the RIVE dipswitch, to deactivate the first card and use the second card as my primary, I have tried all possible combination and its always the same symptoms and issues.

Had an Issue similar to this when using crossfire,turned out to be a bad DVI cable,it worked for over a year with no problems,then one day the screen just started flickering off and on.

As suiken said,try moving a different card to the slot where everything is connected.

Also since its USB powered try and connect it to a different USB port

Tried everything you said already mate. ;)

Thanks my friend ;)

I'm thinking your adapter is the issue. I've had no issues going eyefinity using all DP from the 5870 eyefinity6 to the 280x.

I'm pretty sure that DP is no longer usuable if 2 dual links dvi are in use on that card. If your monitor supports Hdmi, have you tried using it to isolate the DP?

I'm thinking your adapter is the issue. I've had no issues going eyefinity using all DP from the 5870 eyefinity6 to the 280x.

I'm pretty sure that DP is no longer usuable if 2 dual links dvi are in use on that card. If your monitor supports Hdmi, have you tried using it to isolate the DP?

No its not defective, you clearly havent read the OP.

Googling for your monitor, I came back to another HardOCP post, which is apparently listing the official specs of the monitor. The list includes this interesting line:

"Please use DVI-D port only. cannot used with DVI-I or DVI-S. Also cannot be used by port converter. (D-sub, HDMI, DP)"

Your adapter is the issue but you are in denial.

Mate, I have been running 3 x HD 6970 and 4 x HD 7970 with the exact same system, same monitors, same dongles (adapters), And also, if you could actually read the OP properly, I mention that I can run Eyefinity (or Display Port only) just fine with a single card.

I can hear the Windows device connect and disconnect sound while the 3 monitors are flickering when I try to run the Display Port with CrossFire / Tri / Quad when launching 3D applications such as games.

I would like to add to this; my 290 display port problems.

If I run my 290 (stock) connected to my dell 29inch monitor with display port the monitor will lose sync. I have to alt tab out of the game or disconnect reconnect the display port cable. Once either of those things were done the game would display for a few minutes before doing it again. Since I have switched to dvi d I haven't had this problem since. There might be an issue with the 290's and their dp connection.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1796972

I would like to add to this; my 290 display port problems.

If I run my 290 (stock) connected to my dell 29inch monitor with display port the monitor will lose sync. I have to alt tab out of the game or disconnect reconnect the display port cable. Once either of those things were done the game would display for a few minutes before doing it again. Since I have switched to dvi d I haven't had this problem since. There might be an issue with the 290's and their dp connection.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1796972

Thanks man, I think we are in the same boat. We need to makes the issue escalate. I have been contacted by Warsam71 from OC UK about this issue. Go at this thread and join in the discussion. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18576425

:cool:

Very strange Karlitos... I have the same configuration as you do and I can run most games perfectly.

Are you running eyefinity in landscape or portrait mode?

Hey King, I saw on a forum (ocn) that you got Quadfire too. Im very glad you could reach me. Which type of adapter are you using for your Dvi to DisplayPort monitor?

Also, what are your full specs, monitors, Rive Bios, OS.

Thanks for helping mate.

Full system specs:
[email protected] on air
Rampage IV Black Edition on the shipped bios
4xSapphire 290x
G.Skill Trident X CL9 2400mhz 4x4gb
2xSamsung 830 256gb
2xSeasonic X-Series 1250watt

The DP Adapter is the same one you have http://www.accellcables.com/B087B-002B.html and I just ordered the 3d one for higher pixel clock to oc my monitors to 96hz. Estimated time of arrival in two weeks time.

I just got an Email from an AMD engineer today.

Hi Karl,

Your issue is being investigated at the highest levels by our Engineers. They’re currently reproducing your issue. I should have more information for you early next week.

Regards

(Engineer name)

Thanks Warsam71

King4x4, I saw your thread on OCN (build log), I see you are not finished yet with your rig, Have you tried eyefinity 7680x1600 with the Display Port adapter with Quad 290x yet when you tested the cards on air.

--------------------

More updates from Warsam71 ;)

Hello Karl,

I just received an email from the guys in Customer Service which have been working on the issue with Engineering.

They have identified the issue and are working on a solution which will be included in an upcoming driver release. To be perfectly honest with you we don’t know when this new driver will be released yet; but I will definitely let you know as soon as I find out.

Best,

Sam T.

Thank you very much :D , I hope it will take a month or less for a fix. :)

8 month bump, any updates for this? I am now encountering this exact same issue.

Two XFX 290 with CrossFire enabled.

Currently using 3 monitors in extended desktop with no problems.

The card will not do Eyefinity properly with the monitor attached to the DisplayPort. The CCC reports that it has applied the Eyefinity group (1x3 Landscape View), but in actuality, only the two monitors in the DVI ports become duplicated, rather then having the spanned view. This duplicated view is shown as valid in the Eyefinity group for some unknown reason.

8 month bump, any updates for this? I am now encountering this exact same issue.

Two XFX 290 with CrossFire enabled.

Currently using 3 monitors in extended desktop with no problems.

The card will not do Eyefinity properly with the monitor attached to the DisplayPort. The CCC reports that it has applied the Eyefinity group (1x3 Landscape View), but in actuality, only the two monitors in the DVI ports become duplicated, rather then having the spanned view. This duplicated view is shown as valid in the Eyefinity group for some unknown reason.

Karlitos' problem has been fixed by going native DP without adaptors. Your problem sounds completely different. You need to list your specs and what you've tried so far. You might want to start a new thread as it doesn't seem to be relevant to this one.

Karlitos' problem has been fixed by going native DP without adapters.

Are you sure about that? Unless I am blind, I dont see anywhere where it says that he used a native DP monitor. I really do not want to buy a native DP monitor as its not really a fix in my mind.

His quest to fix the problem has somewhat continued on: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26081618&postcount=51

As for the specs:
Asus Rampage II Extreme
Intel i7 970
48GB DDR3-1600
(2x) XFX 290 DD (using AMD-Catalyst-14.11.2Beta-64Bit-Win8.1-Win7-Nov19)
(3x) Achieva Shimian QH270 (2 are connected to Dual-Link DVI, the other is using a Bizlink Active DP-to-DL-DVI adapter)​

I upgraded from the Nvidia GTX670 and the Nvidia Surround worked perfectly fine on that card with the exact same ports (7680x1440).

Somewhat embarrassingly, I think I solved this problem while typing out this post, it appears to be a bug with the AMD driver/software. Here are the steps I have done in order to get CrossFire and Eyefinity working.

With CrossFire initially enabled but no Eyefinity set up, Eyefinity does not work properly (Either 2 or 3 monitors becoming duplicates of each other @ 1440p)

1. With CrossFire disabled, setting Eyefinity will now properly work on 3 monitors. (7680x1440)
  2. Then with CrossFire enabled, Eyefinity still keeps the same group configuration at 7680x1440.

Are you sure about that? Unless I am blind, I dont see anywhere where it says that he used a native DP monitor. I really do not want to buy a native DP monitor as its not really a fix in my mind.

His quest to fix the problem has somewhat continued on: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26081618&postcount=51

Nope he sorted it, he used a native DP monitor.

07-17-2014, 10:41 PM

Hey Wermad, I'm pretty good. :awe:

My eyefinity setup is great. Since I bought the 4k monitor (Samsung U28D590D) as center monitor to replace my third DVI monitor (that I had problems with DVI to DP adapter), I'm having no issues at all. I can play eyefinity at 7680x1440 (8024x1440) with no problem and also beneficiate of the 3840x2160 panel if I want.

I recently moved (last Saturday) and I moved from my condo to a house (finally). I just finished doing my bunker/man cave/desktop and its awsome. Only problem is that my rig is in the basement and the basement only has A SINGLE 15 AMP breaker for the whole level.

Yesterday I started playing Grid Autosport with eyefinity and my Quad 290x and noticed the lights were dimming. My PC room has 5 x 50W lights in it and I noticed on my Kill-A-Watt that my whole setup (including monitors speakers and LEDs lights on walls) was pulling 1500watts and this was with cards at stock and 4930k @ 4.5 Ghz.

Total watts:
Lights: 5 x 50w = 250w
Full PC: 1500watts

This gives 1750watts on a 15 AMP breaker which is 1800watts (@ 120v).

So was playing then... my girlfriend started the central vacuum cleaner and guess watt?

The freakin breaker tripped

:biggrin:

SOOO next mod is add a 20 AMP circuit dedicated for my rig only. I already haver the breaker, the 12 guage wire and the 20 amp wall plug.

Check my new bunker :D (Need to paint the house)

P1010981_zps54fe7b93.jpg~original

P1010985_zpsbc120cee.jpg~original

And what about you man, still rocking the 7970 Lightning?

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36539378&postcount=679

As for the specs:
Asus Rampage II Extreme
Intel i7 970
48GB DDR3-1600
(2x) XFX 290 DD (using AMD-Catalyst-14.11.2Beta-64Bit-Win8.1-Win7-Nov19)
(3x) Achieva Shimian QH270 (2 are connected to Dual-Link DVI, the other is using a Bizlink Active DP-to-DL-DVI adapter)​

I upgraded from the Nvidia GTX670 and the Nvidia Surround worked perfectly fine on that card with the exact same ports (7680x1440).

Somewhat embarrassingly, I think I solved this problem while typing out this post, it appears to be a bug with the AMD driver/software. Here are the steps I have done in order to get CrossFire and Eyefinity working.

With CrossFire initially enabled but no Eyefinity set up, Eyefinity does not work properly (Either 2 or 3 monitors becoming duplicates of each other @ 1440p)

1. With CrossFire disabled, setting Eyefinity will now properly work on 3 monitors. (7680x1440)
  2. Then with CrossFire enabled, Eyefinity still keeps the same group configuration at 7680x1440.

Yes, as Final8ty posted. Also Karlitos' problem was with quad crossfire.

Glad to see you got yours sorted. If you haven't already make sure you do a bug report with your issue and solution. It's likely a driver glitch for your particular configuration and your troubleshooting will make it much easier for them to isolate.

Back