Display Port Audio Out

thurstmw

Weaksauce
I bought a macbook pro '11 on the release day and was really excited to finally have audio out through the display port so I bought a cheap knockoff minidisplay port to hdmi which was supposed to be able to pass audio.
http://www.meritline.com/mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter---p-34680.aspx

But it dosent seem to work. My computer sees that the tv is connected and I can change it to output to the device but still no sound.

Further more what really disappoints me is that when I hook up the computer with an 1/8inch to component the tv (well the two I have tried) wont play the audio from that cable. Though it plays through headphones ect. I attribute this to there being some electronic signal to the tv though the hdmi cable so that it thinks it should play audio from the hdmi cable, but thats just e bull shitting. This also happens using a cable that does not claim to pass audio though.

I dont want to drop 40 bucks on an apple sanctioned cable. Any one have any ideas on how to get the audio to work even if it just with a component cable?

Might have something to do with Thunderbolt integration into Displayport on the 2011s

Might have something to do with Thunderbolt integration into Displayport on the 2011s

Truth. The one apple sells works for 2011 according to comments though so I would imagine that the pins are the same and it should still work.

I have a 2011 MBP and that same adapter from Meritline and the audio definitely works for me. Did you also change the audio output settings? The audio does not switch to Displayport on its own.

Yea I switched all that. Maybe I just got a dud. I might try to get a replacement. Good to know someone else has had it work for them.

Well either Im dreaming, I am a dumbass or somthing else happened but I just retried it for like the 4th time and it started working. And it is even working with my monoprice cable which claims not to support audio pass through. So I am going with Im dreaming.

I swear I had gone into the audio settings ect and adjusted everything properly. That was on the gfs tv so I still need to try it on mine but Im stoked now.

i got the one from monoprice and it works great on my 2010 13", obv no thunderbolt but that should matter. Might just be a faulty dongle since it only randomly works.

With my `10 MBP, using what looks like the same mini-dp to hdmi adapter as that one, it doesn`t work with some devices (a hannspree 23" monitor, notice a pattern of cheap hardware here?) but works perfectly including audio with some (philips hdtv). I have gotten that monitor to work with a diff mac and diff adapter (minidvi to hdmi) in the past too so I know it`s not like the monitor is incapable of working correctly.

There`s something useful to be said there by someone more familiar with hardware/engineering/pins/signals than myself... but anyway, it works with some things but not everything.

obvious factor, its your TV. Might be something wrong with your tv's HDMI port, or could be a compatibility issue with your TV dude. Hate to say it, but more investigation is needed.

Back