Display not always picking up computer when powering on (gpu, display, or windows 10?)

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
So thanks to Asus and their crap AI Suite the power settings no longer work for putting the monitor to sleep and haven't for a good while now. I've even used the command shell prompts to reset said power options and it doesn't matter the monitor will never black out. (This is with AI Suite removed)

So I've had to resort to powering off my display to help it's life extend when I go to bed. This has worked just fine with my old Acer S275HL bmii. I would power it off when I go to bed then power it on when I wake up to be greeted with the windows desktop or the browser window I had open etc.

I have upgraded to the LG 32UD59-B and have had nothing but problems with this. I first had the monitors power save feature on which only turns off the monitor after a said amount of time that you set and it does this no matter if your in the middle of using it or not. LOL Lame job LG.

Because of that I have just resorted to again powering off the display manually. Now the problem with this is the display doesn't always see a connected device. So it just stays black and flashes the no device connected box every so often. The computer is still working during this time because the drive is accessed in the back ground and the caps/num keys will light up on the top of my keyboard.

So it's not like the computer is locked and not sending a signal. This will happen 9 out of 10 times with the 1 time the display actually initializes. The other 9 it doesn't see the connection to the pc. Which in turn forces me to reset the computer with Windows running just fine.

The Acer was connected via hdmi into a hdmi to DP adapter then into the DP port on my RX480.
The LG is DP to DP on my RX480. I'm using a Monoprice DP cable I believe that is brand new and has been sitting in my parts bin in the bag. So it's not like the cable is bad. The included cable that came with the monitor is too short.

Does this issue seem more like a monitor issue or what? It's driving me nuts. lol

Find out what is keeping your computer awake: powercfg -requests

The issue isn't if my computer stays awake. I know why it doesn't sleep. I don't want it to hybernate/sleep. I want the display to power off or for the display to know it's connected to a vid source once powered back on. Which as mentioned only happens 1/10 times if that.

It's this problem that I don't know the cause of.
Gpu
Radeon drivers
Windows 10
The DP cable
The new monitor

Honestly the only thing that has changed is the monitor and switching from a hdmi cable--->hdmi to dp adapter to just a dp to dp cable.

So I'm pretty sure it isn't win 10, gpu, or the gpu drivers.

Now the fact the monitor doesn't sleep when power options are set to make it so is a win 10 issue thanks to Ai Suite. I'm by no means the only person with power options getting screwed by ai suite.

Last edited:
I'll look into that again. Although I've previously followed the MS steps to reset power options via powershell prompt after removing AI Suite months ago to no avail as I've mentioned.

Aside from that there is still a problem with the display not noticing it's connected when it's powered on after being off at night unless the computer is restarted. IE the computer doesn't know there is a display to send an image to or the monitor can't see the computer. One or the other.

This problem didn't happen with my Acer.

If you mean the Radeon drivers that has been done several times with ddu each time new drivers are available.

Dump the cable adapter..

"The Acer was connected via hdmi into a hdmi to DP adapter then into the DP port on my RX480."

Dump the cable adapter..

"The Acer was connected via hdmi into a hdmi to DP adapter then into the DP port on my RX480."
I'm not using it anymore. That was with the Acer 27" and I had no problems powering off and on that display and it actually displaying everytime.

It's the 32" 4K LG I have the problem with now. Which is dp to dp cable.

I've heard of strange issues with DisplayPort monitors and sleep/wake. I haven't had any problems myself, but you might *want* to try with an HDMI adapter to see if that helps.

Ok finally getting a chance to look into this.

For some ungodly reason I couldn't run cmd as an administrator it just wouldn't open. Then I try and reboot and I was just getting a frozen system after the loading circle with a black screen. Over and over. Then it went into startup repair and suggested a restart. Well no kidding. Magically I get back into windows by the repairs restart. It's looking like it's time to back up my docs and stuff and wipe this bitch again.

In the end I ran the requests command and had one thing for media streaming through media player on from when I was trying to stream to my xbox a certain way a while back. I've now killed that and it shows nothing with pulling up the requests command.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe
Media Sharing has been enabled through Windows Media Player.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

I have no idea if it saying None is an ok thing or not for everything. lol

Here are the power settings as you can see the display "SHOULD" be powering off within 30 minutes and actually the computer is set to go to sleep within an hour but I have Vuze running non stop and constantly active. So it's probably not going to sleep.

Now I'm off to back up my data just in case. With that freaky bit that happened a bit ago.

Attachments

• power options 1.jpg
    power options 1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I had a similar issue but mine had to do with refresh rates and also not powering on when moving the mouse..

i went to my monitors website and installed the drivers, works great now.

So I've ran another round of DDU and installed the newest Radeon drivers. I've reset the power plan settings via the link on the power page. I hooked up the factory DVI cable that came with this monitor instead on the new longer Monoprice one I had it hooked up to. Yet still no monitor power down after 20 minutes like it's set to do. I haven't tried powering off the monitor manually to see if it picks up that the computer is there or if the gpu picks up that a display is connected. I'll manually power it down tonight before bed and see what happens in the morning when I power it back up.

In your screen shot you have it set for 30 minutes. I kind of feel dumb for asking but thought I would give it a shot since its something I would do.. but is it working after 30 minutes?

In your screen shot you have it set for 30 minutes. I kind of feel dumb for asking but thought I would give it a shot since its something I would do.. but is it working after 30 minutes?
HAHA No not dumb. That's what I had it on before resetting the power plan settings to default. 20 minutes is default.

I completely forgot to head back into the office last night to power off the monitor so I'll do that tonight.

So Friday morning it powered up and noticed the computer or vice versa. This morning nadda it goes into power saving mode because it doesn't see the computer/vice versa.

So I'm 1:1 right now.

This is again with reset power plan settings, DDU, Newest Radeon drivers, the DVI cable that came with the monitor now. Guess I'll look into the specs on the monitor and see if Freesync operates with the same specs/res via hdmi and then try an hdmi cable and see what happens.

Still don't know what is causing the problem if it's the new monitor, my gpu, or what. Obviously something is still jacked with windows thanks to the Asus AI Suite I had installed with power options set through it considering it still won't put the display to sleep when those settings have been reset.

It might be the combination of the monitor and the cable. I remember seeing reports a while back of non compliant cables causing something like this due to a pin being connected incorrectly in the cable.

Try googling DisplayPort Sleep Pin.

It might be the combination of the monitor and the cable. I remember seeing reports a while back of non compliant cables causing something like this due to a pin being connected incorrectly in the cable.

Try googling DisplayPort Sleep Pin.
It's gotta be something else. Both the Monoprice cable and the original cable are brand new and they both have the same issue apparently. I could give it to Monoprice to possibly screw up a cable but I doubt LG is including one with the monitor that isn't designed properly.

Well after doing some more digging around online it appears usb game controllers will keep the display from going to sleep. Great job MS! Unplugging my aftermarket 360 controller allows the monitor to sleep. Still had the wakeup issue though so went to the power options for pci-e and changed the link power state management to off and I can now wake the display from sleep it seems and I no longer have the display disconnected message or what ever used to stay on the screen after the display went to sleep.

I haven't had it off for a long period of time though to see if I can wake the display but it seems the issue is finally fixed and I can stop burning my display's life away for hours at a time.

Back