Display for Photographs/Photoshop/Films

hachev

n00b
Hello folks, i could really use some help.
I'm searching a display for my girlfriend. Most of the time it'll be used for watching images on sites like deviantart or facebook, reading texts on the internet and either professional photographing and photoshop for the pictures. Sometimes it'll be used for watching movies. It'll never be used for gaming.
Budget: up to 450$

So i guess, color accuracy and contrast will be the important aspects? I have to admit, i'm not so good when it comes to displays and the budget is limited, so it'll never be calibrated, except there is a cheap or even free pure software solution(?).

Last edited:
Look for a nice IPS panel, I personally have that U2311 and its amazing [coming from a few TNs], similar color to a CRT. Horrible for gaming though.

Look for a nice IPS panel, I personally have that U2311 and its amazing [coming from a few TNs], similar color to a CRT. Horrible for gaming though.
How are the videos? Do they look good and smooth?

What games do you play?

I've tried a lot of games on my U2311H and for the most part they seem fine to me (including a few FPS games). The only game I've come across where I've noticed a major difference from a CRT is Titan Quest - the screen moves at such a speed (i.e. constant slow-medium scrolling) where blurring is very noticeable, although whether a TN panel will be any better, I don't know as I don't own one. Input lag wise, I've not noticed any difference from a CRT, this is more important in gaming.

From what I've read
, even 120Hz TN monitors have problems with slow-medium speed scrolling games (like FIFA or PES) which could just just the limitation of all LCD monitors - the "sample and hold effect" as described by ToastyX here.

According to ExtraHardware, the U2311H is seemingly one of the better monitors at the PixPerAn readability test, it passes a speed of 7, even beating some TN panels. I only mention this as it's somewhat linked to the slow-medium movement blur that I've noticed compared to a CRT.

Higher number the better (faster the text moves across the screen).

How are the videos? Do they look good and smooth?
Films are fine/smooth, although the black levels for me aren't deep enough on the U2311H. I came from a CRT to the Dell and the bright blacks was the first thing I noticed (when watching films/dark scenes in the dark).

Again, I don't really have much to compare it too, I know the U2311H is meant to have one of the best black levels for an IPS monitor (0.14 cd/m2) which is about on par with most TN monitors. Only VA panel monitors will have noticeably better blacks.

I should add, since you're doing professional level photography or Photoshop, your only real option is to buy a monitor with an IPS panel for the colour accuracy. Aside from the Dell U2311H (which from the TFTCentral review seems to be one of the best all round IPS monitors in terms of black levels, contrast and out of the box colours) take a look at the HP ZR24w or the Dell U2410 if you can squeeze either into your budget.

Last edited:
Back