Display driver stopped working and has succesfully recovered

kingdom9214

Limp Gawd
I'm gonna go crazy here in a bit. First today my wife HDD takes a poo now my GTX 295 is on the fritz ! So long story short is my GTX 680 is out for RMA, so I grabbed my old GTX 295 and throw it in. Jump on Nvidia site and download the lastest driver 301.42. Not more then 10 seconds after my restart BAM ! "Display driver stopped working and has succesfully recovered" Screen goes black and comes back on in about 5 seconds. Then every 5 minutes it crashes again.

I've been at this all night on forum after forum and can't seem to find a fix that works. I know its not the card because I threw it in my wifes PC and it works fine. I tried the last 5 official drivers from Nvidia to know avail !

If anyone knows a fix for this you can have my first born son ! "note may take up to 9 months to receive"

Well, i had this issue for the longest time (over a year) and i tried everything i could think of, including changing out every piece of hardware in my system. The only thing that fixed it for me was to reinstall windows. You may try uninstalling the video drivers,and using driver sweeper to remove any files that the uninstaller doesn't delete. Then reinstall the video driver. Also you can try using an older driver.
Search on microsoft's answers site and you will see that practically nothing will fix that error except for a reinstall.. good luck with it, as it's a very annoying problem.

Last edited:
This has been an issue w/ the 200 series NV cards.

I've had the issue in TF2 most often.
I've tried a lot of setting tweaks, forcing earlier versions of DX, underclocking, lowering all settings.
I often leave VLC videos running in the background which seem to increase the probability of driver resets..while playing a game.

But primarily this is only with TF2, no other hl2.exe games have the issue, which I find odd. No other games period cause the problem.

There is a VERY long thread on Steam forums about this.
It seems primarily related to the 200 series cards.

I have also tried many different drivers, old, beta; no change...

FYI, after a driver reset your clocks get stuck at their lowest speed. To reset, disable and re-enable the device in devmgmt.msc Thats the quickest way to get back, with out rebooting.

Last edited:
The problem is rampant on 500 series cards as well. I had to deal with the crashes constantly on my 560Ti on my old Q6700 system for about 8 months until I sold it. It's something to do with power management and the card, but I could never fix it. Oddly, it would never crash in games, only on the Windows desktop.

Thankfully I haven't had a single TDR on my new setup.

Ya its driving me crazy and it kinda seems like Nvidia is ignoring the fact that there's a problem !

First off, make sure the card is clean. If its overheating on either of the cores, it could throw the driver recover error.

Second, did you do a driver cleaning before installing the drivers for it? If you were using the beta drivers for your 680 you might have some issues downgrading.

Third, How many monitors do you have? If you have 2 or more, then you might be having a Low Perf 2D clock being too low for your screens.

If drivers were really the problem, you'd hear a whole lot more people griping about them.

Ya its driving me crazy and it kinda seems like Nvidia is ignoring the fact that there's a problem !

Yes I agree Nvidia doesn't care because its such a small number of people...and its old hardware.. And if 2+ people have an issue, and pages n pages worth of talk on this topic are around, others have the issue. How many does it require to resolve this.... I just don't like the excuse that, "if its really a problem, we'd hear more people mention it."

Anyway, on the power management, yes, that is quite possibly related. You can edit your Powersaving in the nvidia control panel. So if anything 3d is running it will never down clock or adjust clocks while that game is open.

However, what I found is even playing a video will set your card to 3d clocks, and they'll stay there while the video is open.
And since I often leave multiple videos open, my card is then at max clock all the time...thus quite inefficient.

But its an option to look into and play with if you don't deal w/ the videos like I do.

This is actually a big reason I don't want to continue to support Nvidia. Specially now that I hear its also an issue with the 500's......

I'd check the temps. I get that problem a lot on my XFX 6870. It's like the card doesn't know to kick the fan on when it gets hot. Gotta set the fan speed manually on the chart with Afterburner.

Is this a dual PCB card that you have underwater? Turn turning off SLI. I've heard of alot of people having issues with the connector not being quite right after pulling it apart and putting it back together. If it stops BSODing after turning off SLI, then you know its an interconnect issue. Pull it apart and reseat it if thats the case.

Had this error for a while and tried all sorts of stuff until I finally got fed up and reinstalled Windows. Problem solved. :)

Sighs ppl, TDR issues exist en masse on both camps.

I am an AMD user, and i get them if i dont do what is a personal fix. Yup, personal fix, there is no all encompassing reason for the TDR issues other than "windows 7 power management of vidcards is a bit overzealous". My personal fix is to set my vram speed to 3d speeds on all power settings. But for other peeps the reason can come even from the system ram, pretty much anything that can make your vidcard hiccup at some point in time.

The best solution when browsing for both camps is to turn off hardware acceleration of flash content, for example Youtube.

THis has been happening on my 3 year old notebook with a built in Nvidia graphics card. Happends all the time i dont game on it. Was a top of the line Intel i7 model at the time. I think its driver related or something conficting with windows.

Happend all the time as well when i had quad water cooled 580s.. yes never durring gaming.. mostly just browsing the web or while watching videos. Dont remember it happening when i had 480s but it may have.. I believe its happend once or twice on my new 2011 Intel system with quad 7970s.

Reinstalling the system dont fix it btw!

I believe its just windows 7 clashing with the graphics drivers. When it happends you can see old web pages you visited flash on the screen when it crushes then you see the error. Its like some memory issue where the browser isint removing the cache and it fills up and crashes or something hehe.. who knows.

Man I feel sry for some of you guys. I can't imagine dealing with it for a year. I would kick my PC down the stairs.

Friend built a 2500K with an MSI 560Ti HAWK in November and had TDR crashes almost right away. Felt bad since I recommended the card to him. All components brand new as well with a decent PSU. He is still having the problem now (although rare, only a couple driver crashes a week).

At least it doesn't hard lock the system/require a reboot.

I finally re-installed Windows for the 3rd time and the issue has gone away now.

hi,
This is certainly not a Windows or Nvidia driver issue, but occurs mostly on demanding DX11 games (e.g. Battlefield 3)
I had same problem witth new GTX570
Seems undervoltaged CPUs is a recurring issue on several Nvidia cards. Try first to contact your vendor for support, of check if there are firmware upgrades offcourse. If not try to increase your CPU's voltage by small increments at the time with voltage tuning tools.
Goodluck

here is how I fixed the SAME EXACT issue:

I bought 2 gtx 680's to run them in Sli mode

It started doing that once I stared any 3d application or YouTube video (flash app)

I disabled Sli mode and tried again! the driver still kept crashing!

removed both cards and found out that both cards worked but only one caused the driver to crash!
It wasn't a bad card though it just did it because of a current issue with Nvidia GTx 680's series

but some cards aparently dont crash at all so I RMA'ed the "broken" one until I got one that did not crash... took almost 4 RMA's!!!!!

but I got my system running in Sli mode with no crashes

(not anymore since I gave one of the cards away to my bro lol)

but Id keep changing cards until you get what works... It SUCKS but its what I did and its 520.00$$ if I am going to spend that much money on a card... I going to get one that works.. I dont feel like waiting for drivers to come out..

hi,
This is certainly not a Windows or Nvidia driver issue, but occurs mostly on demanding DX11 games (e.g. Battlefield 3)
I had same problem witth new GTX570
Seems undervoltaged CPUs is a recurring issue on several Nvidia cards. Try first to contact your vendor for support, of check if there are firmware upgrades offcourse. If not try to increase your CPU's voltage by small increments at the time with voltage tuning tools.
Goodluck
you are talking about a different issue.

Uninstall the drivers you have now after you do it, reboot and clean with driver swpeeper in safe mode. reboot again install latest drivers.

Now, uninstall the browser your using, uninstall flash player, clean the leftovers with ccleaner, reboot. Install your browser/flashplayer, disable hardware accelaration from youtube-flash player, and the browser.

Also clean the LOS use this link,
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

And reboot once again.

it should fix the issue.

Even if you think you have fixed it, it may appear again, at least do the browser un-installation together with flash player cleaner and disable hardware acceleration.

Back