Disney World Theme Parks Banning Selfie Sticks

HardOCP News

[H] News
If we could just start banning people from Disney World, that would help a lot too. What?!? Not regular people, just the dumb ones. :D

“We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately selfie-sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our guests and cast,” Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

IMO, selfies are silly. It's one thing to do it in a washroom where you don't want to see the background anyway, but on a vacation, that huge face is just covering up the majestic scenery there and you only end up with a bunch of pictures filled with your face, instead of the places you paid to see.

Selfie-sticks are the bane of our society.
Speak of the devil and he shall appear.
resize

It's too bad, even though there are postings on rides that say "NO SELFIE STICKS YOU DOUCHE BAG" people still use them, on one hand I really would hope one of them hits some scenery and impales the guy using it, but the other side of me doesn't want that to happen because that act of douchebaggery would shut down that ride for a long time.

There are no rides in Disney worth going on anyway who cares?

It's too bad, even though there are postings on rides that say "NO SELFIE STICKS YOU DOUCHE BAG" people still use them, on one hand I really would hope one of them hits some scenery and impales the guy using it, but the other side of me doesn't want that to happen because that act of douchebaggery would shut down that ride for a long time.

Oh indeed. Someone pulled out a selfie stick the other week at Disneyland while on a ride which caused the ride to be stopped:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/disneyland-roller-coaster-stopped-in-its-tracks/

Do any of you really think it has anything to do whatsoever with anything other than them not being able to sell 20.00 pictures at the end of the ride because you took it yourself?

Do any of you really think it has anything to do whatsoever with anything other than them not being able to sell 20.00 pictures at the end of the ride because you took it yourself?

Yeah, when some dipshit in front of someone on the ride loses their phone or their stick because they are holding it out in front of them on a fast-moving vehicle, and it flies backward and smacks a rider in the face or gets caught in the mechanism, Disney is going to be in a lot of trouble.

Plus, it's got to be extremely annoying to try to get anywhere with hundreds of people crowding around every photo-op swinging the selfie stick around and jousting with each other trying to take a photo.

Selfie sticks aren't a problem if a handful of people have them, but when they start to become very common combined with the average person paying zero attention to their surroundings, it can be a dangerous combo.

They are just yet another item that aids totally self-centered behavior, and when everyone has them, they become a huge problem for everyone.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1041696733 said:
Yeah, when some dipshit in front of someone on the ride loses their phone or their stick because they are holding it out in front of them on a fast-moving vehicle, and it flies backward and smacks a rider in the face or gets caught in the mechanism, Disney is going to be in a lot of trouble.

Plus, it's got to be extremely annoying to try to get anywhere with hundreds of people crowding around every photo-op swinging the selfie stick around and jousting with each other trying to take a photo.

Selfie sticks aren't a problem if a handful of people have them, but when they start to become very common combined with the average person paying zero attention to their surroundings, it can be a dangerous combo.

They are just yet another item that aids totally self-centered behavior, and when everyone has them, they become a huge problem for everyone.

Well if Disney wanted to alleviate the problem they could simply offer people free digital copies of their pictures if safety is really the concern. Lets see if they do that lol. And since they have those passes where they can pretty much track your every move they can easily attach your pictures to an account for you to download.

If only this policy could be adopted by.... everyone?

Selfie sticks, as bad as cancer sticks. And we ban those in many places, right?

I hate those selfie sticks. People become narcissistic dumb fucks, waving them around. Last cruise I went on, some old lady got smashed in the head because a young woman wasn't watching where she was waving her glamour stick.

Yea, some dipshit poking a 3 foot stick out of the ride is totally a safe thing to do. It couldn't possibly fly out of ones hands and injure someone else, or even worse...somehow cause catastrophic failure of the ride itself. :rolleyes:

Well if Disney wanted to alleviate the problem they could simply offer people free digital copies of their pictures if safety is really the concern. Lets see if they do that lol. And since they have those passes where they can pretty much track your every move they can easily attach your pictures to an account for you to download.

I don't see the need to take pictures while being on an amusement ride. People have been enjoying these rides for a long time without needing to take pictures of themself. I'll bet Disney would not have banned it if it weren't for these idiots taking their stick out while on a ride.

Besides, people can still take their own pictures with their camera and smartphone anyway. Just the silly stick that got banned.

I don't see the need to take pictures while being on an amusement ride. People have been enjoying these rides for a long time without needing to take pictures of themself. I'll bet Disney would not have banned it if it weren't for these idiots taking their stick out while on a ride.

Besides, people can still take their own pictures with their camera and smartphone anyway. Just the silly stick that got banned.

A long time? I distinctly remember people using 35mm cameras decades ago taking pictures of themselves on the rides. Largely the reason people do this is because the obscene prices the parks want to charge for a picture as the other poster pointed out. If the park really cares about the safely of their riders they can issue this service free since they already have the infrastructure in place to do it.

There are no rides in Disney worth going on anyway who cares?
Well people who actually paid to go into the park probably care, and considering there are something like 15+ million people visiting the parks annually that means a lot of people care. You don't like any rides, so I'm hoping you don't even go to the park so yeah it really is a non-issue for you, you're probably too grown up for the rides there and would rather just ride roller coasters all day long, it's cool man some people have different desires.

Oh indeed. Someone pulled out a selfie stick the other week at Disneyland while on a ride which caused the ride to be stopped:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/disneyland-roller-coaster-stopped-in-its-tracks/
I wonder if they ejected them from the park, granted I was there in June and the "no selfie stick" signs are not exactly in your face large, plus there's language barriers for some I'm sure, but I think losing out on a $100 ticket for the day might be a good motivation to not do it.

Well considering you can just as easily take a picture with your phone of the screen which shows the $20 picture that probably looks similar in quality as what you actually get. Yeah I'd think it MAY have more to do with rider safety and less to do with trying to sell a picture. I mean how many pictures are they not selling due to this technology, versus the cost of a single lawsuit because shit came flying off and hit someone? I noticed this with Six Flags Magic Mountain when I went ages ago, you literally can not bring anything on rides whether it's a purse or a anything else, now they went a step further with greed and charge people to use lockers for a 1-2 hour period but that's their business model too, to squeeze as much money in the most annoying ways possible. Say what you want about Disney being worse, but they decided to put little pouches on their rides to hold stuff.

For some reason I feel I am a better person for having to ask google what a selfie stick was.... lol

Well people who actually paid to go into the park probably care, and considering there are something like 15+ million people visiting the parks annually that means a lot of people care. You don't like any rides, so I'm hoping you don't even go to the park so yeah it really is a non-issue for you, you're probably too grown up for the rides there and would rather just ride roller coasters all day long, it's cool man some people have different desires.

I did go to the park a couple years ago that's how I know. After having gone to parks like Cedar point it was a joke. Also everything about Disney is hilarious. The whole park is set up like a grocery store on purpose to force you to walk 3 miles past a mall of useless stores that sell Disney crap just to get to a mediocre ride then be dumped out only to walk past the same crap. Disney spends almost all the money decorating the line you stand in to wait for the ride. Those people who care are just like the people flocking to all other over advertised under performing stuff in the world. I know the mentality because I see it all the time, especially foreigners most of them paying the money only so they can get the "picture" in front of the magic castle. Half of them care more about being able to prove they were there then actually being there. That's probably why they don't even notice what a ripoff it is.

I did go to the park a couple years ago that's how I know. After having gone to parks like Cedar point it was a joke.
I wasn't saying you didn't know, I'm saying your preferences are different. Disneyland and Cedar Point are not the same thing and they do not cater to the same crowds. Disney is a theme park where as Cedar point is more of an amusement park, their rides are vastly different, you probably won't have a little dark ride seeing pictures on the walls that while as an adult is fairly lame (unless you're high :D) but for a child that could be the best thing ever, where as a rollercoaster with 5 inversions, a 80 degree drop and speeds in excess of 80 mph with wonderful views of the parking lot makes you happy,that same child would shit his pants.

I'm not trying to sound like a Disney fanboy here, but it really is more about the rides there, it is about the overall experience, how many times do people sit down 2-3 hours before a parade starts at Cedar point? Do people wait in line for an hour to get a picture with some character? And then do that 10 more times throughout the day? It's a different crowd and fan base is all.

If you went to a Disney park expecting to be blown away by exciting rides, then you're really going to the wrong park, and I'm sorry you had some misconception that you would be excited there. That said roller coasters are a bit too painful for me (old man syndrome), so something like Cedar point is not my type of place for fun, back in my teens and young twenties sure, but now? no way.

Also everything about Disney is hilarious. The whole park is set up like a grocery store on purpose to force you to walk 3 miles past a mall of useless stores that sell Disney crap just to get to a mediocre ride then be dumped out only to walk past the same crap.
If by hilarious you mean brilliant, then I agree, because their formula works, just look at their income level compared to Cedar Point, a similar number of parks between them, but Disney makes more than 10 times as much money.

Disney spends almost all the money decorating the line you stand in to wait for the ride.
Ok first, you're really starting to sound like that teenage boy who "too cool" to do something, I'm really sure they spend "almost all the money" all $15 billion just on decorating lines.

Stand in a long ass snaking line where what you can see is some sweaty fat man in one direction, a garbage can in the other direction, and oh don't forget that soda machine that sells $3 sodas especially since none of the line is covered in shade at all.

Personally, if I'm going to stand in a line for any length of time I'd rather be amused by the surroundings than have the most kick ass ride ever on the other side. 2 minute ride, or 30-50 times that waiting in line...

Those people who care are just like the people flocking to all other over advertised under performing stuff in the world. I know the mentality because I see it all the time, especially foreigners most of them paying the money only so they can get the "picture" in front of the magic castle. Half of them care more about being able to prove they were there then actually being there. That's probably why they don't even notice what a ripoff it is.
Let the hatred go man, seriously. If you don't like that sort of activity, and it's very obvious you don't, then fine, I am not going to try and somehow convince you that you're wrong, because you're not, it's something called personal preference and you can't ever be wrong with your own personal preference.

But seriously don't hate on others that like something you don't. I mean hell Cedar Point is #15 in attendance for North American parks last year, 5 times as many people went to Disneyland, #1-6 all the Disney parks,2 Universal Studios parks are ahead of it, hell 2 Seaworld parks are ahead of Cedar point in attendance numbers, watching dolphins and whales swim around in a big fish tank is more popular than Cedar Point, and you can't say those other places have better rides.

Point? Point is more people don't need "kick ass rides" than do need them to enjoy themselves.

I was at Sea world and actually I think its rides were better than Disney which is pretty sad. But don't label me as a person who doesn't respect other things. When I was in FL I went to the Kennedy space center, not much for rides but I appreciated the place and what it offers, a glimpse of scale that you cannot experience without being under a rocket the size of a football field. When I went to sea world, I appreciated the talent and focus and training of the animals and things they were able to do with them. Disney was the most expensive of all of them and the least interesting. It is my opinion that most people have simply never been to a better park or just brain dead suckers for Disney where they can make everything substandard and simply by putting Stitch or a princess on it people will pay double. Didn't even look like half the people were enjoying themselves trying to hard to get a picture, waiting 3 hours to see a parade? How enjoyable! Hey I paid hundreds to get in here so I can spend 20% of the day waiting for a parade to start. Sometimes people just cannot rationally think about what they are doing because of a combination of advertising and nostalgia, most Americans I see who like Disney went there as kids its just like a tradition you gotta take your kids to Disney, because you know my parents did it but most of the half rational ones I talk to actually admit once they get to FL they buzz into Disney one day and the rest of the time they enjoy anywhere but Disney. Like I said paying hundreds of dollars to get a picture, say I was there, then off to Universal, sea world, the beach, anywhere else.

I am just challenging people to realistically reflect on the money they are flushing down the toilet just like people who will buy anything with an Apple on it, then try to justify it later.

I'm not going to argue Disney ain't expensive, but it really is an experience that some people like. And yeah some people are fed up with it, but IMO those same people would probably be upset with being stuck in long lines at other parks too. Those waiting 3 hours are wasting a lot of the day, but then again Disney people do tend to go for more than one day, I don't think I've been to an amusement park that I wanted to go back to the next day, of course a place like Disneyworld is much larger in scope when you count all 4 of the parks, but tickets do get cheaper per day with more days and being as it really has more of a resort vibe than just some place you go to for the day like Busch Gardens of Cedar Point.

I've been to Disney World twice in my life, once was about 15 years ago in June and yeah I had a miserable time, the humidity is not something I was accustomed to, there were large crowds, then again 15 years ago, a 1 day ticket cost $45 which is hardly that expensive. Then I went with my wife 3 years ago or so, and tickets were noticeably more expensive then, although I think we spent 5 days there and the tickets per day were not much more expensive than about $45/day, however we also went to Universal and 2 days there were like $80/day, (plus I think they were pimping $14 refillable soda jugs, and the refills were not free they were still 99 cents each IIRC), we looked into seaworld but I think it cost like $80 a day to go there, and there were some other things we did in that 2 week vacation time it wasn't all Disney by a long shot, but it was in January the humidity was way lower, the temperature was lower, and most importantly the crowds were non-existent and I had an absolute blast, don't regret spending that money at all. That doesn't mean I'd want to do a yearly pilgrimage there, but I can tell you as a fact I would have a much worse time going to Busch Gardens or any other "traditional" roller coaster park.

And it really doesn't sound like you're challenging people to reflect on their money spending, you started with the rides were horrible, and that was the big statement. I simply countered with the maybe it's not always about the rides. You sound like you had a similar experience to my first time there, which is cool if you didn't like it, I'm not trying to have you "give it another try", I'm just saying what you consider fun rides might not be what everyone else considers fun rides.

I too think WAY too many people go to Disneyland when they could be doing other things, but really who am I to tell them how they spend their entertainment money? Hell some people might say dropping a over a grand a computer is silly when you can get an Xbox One for $400. Different strokes for different folks.

I wasn't saying you didn't know, I'm saying your preferences are different. Disneyland and Cedar Point are not the same thing and they do not cater to the same crowds. Disney is a theme park where as Cedar point is more of an amusement park, their rides are vastly different, you probably won't have a little dark ride seeing pictures on the walls that while as an adult is fairly lame (unless you're high :D) but for a child that could be the best thing ever, where as a rollercoaster with 5 inversions, a 80 degree drop and speeds in excess of 80 mph with wonderful views of the parking lot makes you happy,that same child would shit his pants.

I'm not trying to sound like a Disney fanboy here, but it really is more about the rides there, it is about the overall experience, how many times do people sit down 2-3 hours before a parade starts at Cedar point? Do people wait in line for an hour to get a picture with some character? And then do that 10 more times throughout the day? It's a different crowd and fan base is all.

If you went to a Disney park expecting to be blown away by exciting rides, then you're really going to the wrong park, and I'm sorry you had some misconception that you would be excited there. That said roller coasters are a bit too painful for me (old man syndrome), so something like Cedar point is not my type of place for fun, back in my teens and young twenties sure, but now? no way.

If by hilarious you mean brilliant, then I agree, because their formula works, just look at their income level compared to Cedar Point, a similar number of parks between them, but Disney makes more than 10 times as much money.

Ok first, you're really starting to sound like that teenage boy who "too cool" to do something, I'm really sure they spend "almost all the money" all $15 billion just on decorating lines.

Stand in a long ass snaking line where what you can see is some sweaty fat man in one direction, a garbage can in the other direction, and oh don't forget that soda machine that sells $3 sodas especially since none of the line is covered in shade at all.

Personally, if I'm going to stand in a line for any length of time I'd rather be amused by the surroundings than have the most kick ass ride ever on the other side. 2 minute ride, or 30-50 times that waiting in line...

Let the hatred go man, seriously. If you don't like that sort of activity, and it's very obvious you don't, then fine, I am not going to try and somehow convince you that you're wrong, because you're not, it's something called personal preference and you can't ever be wrong with your own personal preference.

But seriously don't hate on others that like something you don't. I mean hell Cedar Point is #15 in attendance for North American parks last year, 5 times as many people went to Disneyland, #1-6 all the Disney parks,2 Universal Studios parks are ahead of it, hell 2 Seaworld parks are ahead of Cedar point in attendance numbers, watching dolphins and whales swim around in a big fish tank is more popular than Cedar Point, and you can't say those other places have better rides.

Point? Point is more people don't need "kick ass rides" than do need them to enjoy themselves.

I very much agree. Also, Disney has tremendous value for what you pay. I've taken my boys there three times...each time it was awesomely magical for them, and me. Well worth the money spent.

Disney's formula is just brilliant, especially at "hiding" the background work and the length of the lines. You don't see any cast members taking a smoke break out back, you don't see them in a corner laughing it up...its all very seamless, which adds to the entire experience.

The parks are 99.9% clean all the time, and the park security to manage people are very much forward......which means if you're like the asshole who tried to stand in front of me during the light parade and was over the white line, you got your ass handed to you by a a 4-foot nothing member of the park who didn't have any problem getting in your face until you followed the park's rules.

I've been to other parks, and Disney...by far...has the "magic". I just wish the turkey legs tasted better than they smelled/look!

They actually have a system which works on an increasing number of rides. Disney Photopass. It is not available on every ride yet, but even if it was free...the problem is some are going to want to take photos when they are ready versus right after the drop,

It is the wrist bands which allow the detailed tracking, the cards are short range only. You could also place them in a sleeve to block the signal.They allowed selfie sticks until they started becoming an issue. Then they banned them on high risk rides, but then that was problematic so they just banned them from the parks.

You don't need long range tracking for this, take the picture, client goes down and says I want picture 5345345 and the attendant puts the badge next to a sensor and its done.

The real question is will they be able to tell the difference between a monopod and a selfie stick, and will monopods be banned too.

The real question is will they be able to tell the difference between a monopod and a selfie stick, and will monopods be banned too.

I think the distinction will be pretty clear, if there's a cell phone on the end, they'll call it a selfie-stick, if there's a camera with a beefy lens, then monopod. I mean it's not like the security check point is what's going to stop them from coming in, especially when something is collapsible to the point of fitting in your back pocket. It'll be enforced based upon how it's used.

You don't need long range tracking for this, take the picture, client goes down and says I want picture 5345345 and the attendant puts the badge next to a sensor and its done.

The long range track issue is separate. The magic bands have long range to track movement throughout the park, the older cards do not. They already offer what you are saying on many rides. You can also grab a photographer that is placed around the park and have photos take in the same manner.

I am guessing it will be all rides eventually, if it is not already the case.

The long range track issue is separate. The magic bands have long range to track movement throughout the park, the older cards do not. They already offer what you are saying on many rides. You can also grab a photographer that is placed around the park and have photos take in the same manner.

I am guessing it will be all rides eventually, if it is not already the case.

They offer this for free?

Disney was the most expensive of all of them and the least interesting. It is my opinion that most people have simply never been to a better park or just brain dead suckers for Disney where they can make everything substandard and simply by putting Stitch or a princess on it people will pay double. Didn't even look like half the people were enjoying themselves trying to hard to get a picture, waiting 3 hours to see a parade? How enjoyable! Hey I paid hundreds to get in here so I can spend 20% of the day waiting for a parade to start.

If you really enjoy the parades one can normally use a Fastpass to reserve a seat now a days. I did prefer ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter over Stitch's Great Escape. Pricing wise Disney is not double the other parks, Universal 3 day park to park pass 215(102 single park)...Disney 227.91 for 3 day with park hopper(~75 per day), Now there is an Orlando Flex ticket which bundles 3-4 parks(plus water parks) for 349 for 14 days. *both universal, seaworld and optionally busch gardens) I would think one would spend one day in each park so it would lower prices to 69 per day.

Back