Disney Wants to Dump Star Wars Boss Kathleen Kennedy, but There’s a Problem

Michael Fassbender, Tom Hiddleston, or Mark Strong to play Thrawn in a movie?

Edit: Never mind. Disney would just fuck it up.

Last edited:
movies are just that if your digging into political agendas behind everything you seriously have way too much time on your hands and should seriously reconsider your life as not every thing is being tailor made to oppress you!

Lol politic correctness and feminism destroying one of the most epic brands in movie history. When will people wake up and return to good old values.

Like slavery and ownership of women...

When people were worried that Disney took over Star Wars i was like , common it`ll be great , its Star Wars after all.
Then the movies came out... damn. (i did like the cinematic feel of Rogue One though)

and 6 movies in 3 years ? great way to kill a franchise which put out 6 movies in in 30 years before that.
6 movies in 3 years wouldn't be a problem if they were good movies.

Rogue One was supposed to be even darker and more violent than it was, but it was still entertaining and by far the best movie of the four.

movies are just that if your digging into political agendas behind everything you seriously have way too much time on your hands and should seriously reconsider your life as not every thing is being tailor made to oppress you!
If the movie's makers are on twitter and facebook telling you that storm troopers represent white men, or that they don't care about male fans, or that the force is female, or that Lando is pan sexual or whatever, it is sort of hard to go into those movies without looking for what they are talking about. Besides, I don't feel oppressed, I feel disappointed. They are salting the well, not the fans.

I wonder if someone might be able to save SJW Wars (with a shout out to rogue one, the only redeeming movie of late).
That someone?

Peter Jackson.

If the movie's makers are on twitter and facebook telling you that storm troopers represent white men, or that they don't care about male fans, or that the force is female, or that Lando is pan sexual or whatever, it is sort of hard to go into those movies without looking for what they are talking about. Besides, I don't feel oppressed, I feel disappointed. They are salting the well, not the fans.

Indeed. If the movies were actually good whatever political agenda there is can be safely ignored. But since they are so crappy and Kathleen and co are rubbing their bullshit in our faces, how are we supposed to not talk about it?

According to Beyond the Trailer’s Grace Randolph, Bob Iger is trying to get rid of Kathleen Kennedy for the damage she has done to the Star Wars franchise – but nobody wants her job, as she has poisoned Lucasfilm with many of her own loyalists. J.J. Abrams was supposedly approached but “turned it down flat and didn't even hesitate.” Many believe that Disney should just clean house.

"Why does nobody wanna run Star Wars? Well, it's probably pretty obvious for many of you, but let me spell it out for you. And that's in risk-averse Hollywood, nobody wants to run a house divided, which apparently is what Kathleen Kennedy has created. It's divided between her loyalists, which she brought in and wear those "Force is Female" t-shirts, and the loyalists to the brand itself that were there before Kathleen."

The problem is Disney and the box office numbers. There hasn't been an acceptable Star Wars movie beyond the original 3 that others did well is a miracle in itself.
If Disney wants money they can only make Star Wars work if there is a compelling story line and new and interesting characters since the older ones have been so abused in the current range of movies that it is a crime to make them appear in anything today.

No matter how good it is, producing too much dilutes the value. And audience fatigue would kill it eventually. I think 3 movies in 6 years is the number if you don't want to damage it's value.

I wish Lionsgate would have taken SW over.. but at a price of 4 billions, no body else could have but the mouse.

Rogue One was supposed to be even darker and more violent than it was, but it was still entertaining and by far the best movie of the four.
6? I lost count at 4? .. anyway i agree, it wouldn't have been an issue if they were good movies. I wish Rogue One was darker and more adult... It was a snooze fest to me.. i had no idea it was reshoot because it was going in a too adult direction.. i only knew after seeing it.

6? I lost count at 4? .. anyway i agree, it wouldn't have been an issue if they were good movies. I wish Rogue One was darker and more adult... It was a snooze fest to me.. i had no idea it was reshoot because it was going in a too adult direction.. i only knew after seeing it.
The thing is solo was rumored to be darker as well but then they fired the two directors and re-wrote/re-shot a lot of it.
Rogue One was good but bits of it was dragged out for no reason which they could have filled with a bit more :)

Rogue One gave me hope that disney could do a decent film Then TLJ came along ... Solo was meh

Solo tanked, which is why this is coming up now.

You're right though. Disney's number one concern is profit. They couldn't care less if hardcore fans are happy or if political agendas are in their films, but when either of those things gets in the way of their money, they're going to fix it by any means necessary.
The soylo soycott seems to be working. Looks like they do need those darn evil white male fans afterall.

While on Netflix over the weekend TLJ was not surfaced once in a hero tile or an annoying autoplay preview. That should tell you something...

I have to echo a lot of the sentiment in the previous posts. TFA was okay. I mean it definitely was a rehash but I could deal with that. Solo was good. TLJ was a nightmare. It totally destroyed my faith in Star Wars. I did end up going to see Solo 4 weeks after it released. I thought it was decent. Not much SJW stuff in it, there was nothing of the mentioned 'pansexual' stuff that I picked up. The only thing I got was the annoying robot who thankfully wasn't around terribly long. The trilogy can be saved imo but it would involve bringing back Snoke and Luke...

Okay I have never read the books, and do not know an insane amount of the back story and history of SW, but to me, it seems like Disney is trying to stretch the stories out to maximize the profits through multiple movies and end up being short on good story telling and content. To me this is how I felt about the Transformers and Marvel movies...gotta release those movies to keep those profits coming in, regardless if it is good or not they have a large enough following to not affect the bottom line. Either all that or I am just getting old.

Marvel movies have proved that people won’t get burned out on hero flicks. I think the same could have been easily true for Star Wars movies, if they were good.

Marvel actually had a plan though, and a way of tying all the stories together. Also Marvel put out some duds and just kept going, because they had a plan. SW feels like a more broken universe and Disney is less committed to it.

Totally agree. Haven't seen solo yet. I'll wait until the disc release as I've done with all these post Disney movies. So far I find that all of them have a moment here or there but ultimately not much of commitment to a shared history(other than Rogue One-probably still my favorite of these). Really feels like DC, some cool things occasionally but otherwise very disjointed.

Kevin Feige's Marvel contract runs out this year...
Kevin Feige already turned it down, too. I don't think he would be any better a choice, as he has the same politics and it is going to show in the films come Avengers 4 and beyond.

What they should do is:
1) Say sorry
2) Delete ep8 on all digital platforms, refund everyone that actually purchased it
3) re-do it with a new director / script / story

The Force Awakens: Decent for what it was although I didn't like how it was an intended remake of A New Hope. Definitely some major issues with it but I could look past that as it was the start of a new era and the build up would be explained/expanded in later movies.

Rogue One: Better than average although some of the characters were quite annoying at times. It told a good story and fit quite well with everything we know about Star Wars. This event was a pivotal moment in Star Wars so while the story of the event was new to us, the actual event was known by all giving a link between new and old Star Wars. The way this movie is portrayed should have been the formula for the standalone movies. Take an event known from the universe and tell a story with it without the need for main storyline characters.

The Last Jedi: A complete farce. Practically none of the explanation of "weird shit" from The Force Awakens shows up here making The Force Awakens a worse movie. The whole buildup of The Force Awakens is thrown out the door and destroyed. Luke is turned into a whiny ass loser. The buildup of the the mysterious antagonist behind everything is thrown away. The whiny bitch antagonist is still a whiny bitch. A complete subplot which is so useless that it could have been left on the cutting room floor and nothing would have changed. The main plot is completely stupid and boring. My best description of the movie is multiple trainwrecks occurring simultaneously.

Solo: While this was out I went to the theaters twice. The first time my son and I saw The Princess Bride. The second time we saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. I know I made the best choices for movies.

Box office numbers don't tell the whole story but in the case of these movies, we can see some patterns. The Force Awakens was always going to be big because it was the first movie continuing the series. There was quite a bit wrong with it but most figured we would get explanations of it in the next mainline movie. Rogue One was able to avoid the missteps of TFA because it was a totally separate movie with no direct ties. It wasn't the best but it did tell a decent story and did well at the box office. The Last Jedi basically flopped for what it was. It didn't explain shit from The Force Awakens and actually managed to be a worse movie. People went into this movie expecting answers from TFA and didn't get them. People expected an entertaining movie otherwise and didn't get it. The box office showed initially high numbers and fell off quickly. Solo popped into theaters in controversy from the beginning and took a hit from that as well as large dissatisfaction from TLJ. There's a pattern forming and it's not looking good.

The people in charge of Star Wars right now need to be tossed out on their asses. I wouldn't doubt one bit that Kennedy has all her own people in the top spots. I remember when the deal went through that Kennedy was going to have control over the franchise. The chance of "fixing" Star Wars with the replacement of only one person is practically impossible which is why no one seems to want to take this on. You'd need to get rid of a shitload of people and doing that while you have movies in different stages of writing, pre-production and production it will be almost impossible. Anyone who takes on the job is going to get screwed. There's likely very little this person could do regarding Episode 9 at this point and whoever takes over will get blamed for everything wrong with Episode 9.

If we're going to see a change with Star Wars, we're probably going to have to wait until after Episode 9 is released. No reasonable person wants to touch this shitshow right now because every little issue will be put on that person's plate even if said person had nothing to do with the issue and there are too many things in motion to be stopped.

After Episode 9 we might get a change in management and direction but I wouldn't look for much change before then.

Like slavery and ownership of women...
What you are "whining" about has been part of the human condition for hundreds of thousands of years. America was one of the leading nations to end slavery over 150 years ago. American women are as free as any women in the history of the world. Implying that somehow the American culture needs saving by insipid SJW's is one of the great lies progressives tell. It is the malaise that is killing the Star Wars franchise. SJW's are like the dinosaurs immediately after the asteroid. They are still walking around and talking but the backlash has begun. In a few years they will be politically extinct.

Yep. I loved star wars since I was a kid. Have no idea how many times I've seen the first 3. TLJ was so bad that my first thought was maybe it's time for a new space universe. Star Wars, Star Trek, etc, had their day. Let's see something new.

Saw troopers like you taking one for the team, heard the reviews, jaw dropped. Never Watching That Shit. If I want to have 2+ hours of disbelief at stupidity, I'll just stay late at work.

I thought they were all decent films. Not amazing, but decent. If there's to be a new hand at the helm, though, how about Joss Whedon? Have him and Zahn get together transforming one of his books into a screenplay, with Timothy having creative control and Joss handling all the Hollywood BS. Alternatively, have them collaborate on a script for the end of the new trilogy, and let them try to save the shitshow. The series... Well, "There's good left in it... I know it." Poe's cool, the new droids are rockin', and Rei's got a lot of fans. A talented writer could save the franchise.

My friend says Mark Hamill should be the voice of 'what is Star Wars' ..like a player becoming coach after being sidelined

I think it should go to Chris Hardwick , he knows how media works , he is loyal to the brand and if he knows alot of people and fans ..he would not be at a loss for content or get swept up in a directors vision that runs contrary to cannon .

Kenny

In the face of all the original-trilogy-worship/everything-else-sucks, I thought this was appropriate.

I thought they were all decent films. Not amazing, but decent. If there's to be a new hand at the helm, though, how about Joss Whedon? Have him and Zahn get together transforming one of his books into a screenplay, with Timothy having creative control and Joss handling all the Hollywood BS. Alternatively, have them collaborate on a script for the end of the new trilogy, and let them try to save the shitshow. The series... Well, "There's good left in it... I know it." Poe's cool, the new droids are rockin', and Rei's got a lot of fans. A talented writer could save the franchise.

I think most thought TFA was OK - But in no way do I think TLJ is even OK. It's bad. Really bad. The characters, the writing, the overall plot, numerous universe breaking things, etc. Star wars fans didn't like it, and even non-fans didn't like it because it was so a broken movie. All of that is before I even take into account some of the 'progressive' horseshit thrown in.

Time to reboot back to the Extended Universe that Kennedy de-cannonized: the universe of Mara Jade, the Skywalker kids, and Admiral Thrawn. The fans love that universe, and it's out there already, just waiting to be adapted.

You know who DOES look/sound stunning? Revan. Malak. HK-47. Bastilla. All the KOTOR II sith lords. Those toys would sell like hotcakes if Disney revived KOTOR.

As long as Disney owns the franchise its not going to happen. They do not have sole ownership of those characters and naturally have zero motivation to share any profits with their creators.

Unfortunately Lucas is unable to make any new Star Wars movies because he would be surrounded by "Yes" people, like was the case with the prequels. He needs a team of "No" people, like when he created the first 3 movies. They were saved in the editing room, mostly by his wife. Lucas was a very lucky man, with limited film-making ability, who was in the right place, at the right time, mostly surrounded by the right people for him.

He is the last person to hand Star Wars, JarJar Abrams would also be a death sentence for the franchise, as he is a liberal SJW too. It worried me that he was Iger's first call. Makes me think that Iger has no clue who he is in a room with, and what those people represent.

Jar Jar Abrams - I like that!

And I agree - those fans thinking getting rid of Kennedy is the silver bullet should be VERY worried that JJ was the first choice. They need someone who is an Uber Star Wars fan. Someone who grew up with the movies and revered the mythology. Someone who knows when a person (like JJ) sucks and will cut him loose and ignore him.

I am that person - are you listening, Disney? :)

Its a simple fix...

1. Timothy Zahn
2. Thrawn Series
3. WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

When the Thrawn series came out, I bought each book and finished it the day of release.

However, for those viewing that series with nostalgic glasses, I invite you to read them (or any of Zahn’s books) again. You’ll be shocked at how bad they are. THRAWN was a great character but the rest....

I expected from Disney, highly commercial movies to begin with... But with the ability to hire a top team of writers working in what could be an expansive ' universe' of stories, i had high hopes for " fast food " entertainment. Disney exceeded all my expectations.. sadly in the wrong direction... Lucasarts needs to be disposed of and the IP moved to a completely new team, with good writers that write complete movies and complete stories... lucasarts is currently taking this like a joke, and it shows very clearly... Yeah one can say well, its a movie.. sure. But you don't take these things serious becuase its star wars, you take them serious becuase its what you do if you want good movies. The people that created moana took things serious, and created an excellent movie.

Dude, are you not seeing the pattern? Those are not good numbers towards the end. They did break even (so far barely for Solo, 75 million is pathetic for Star Wars) but there is a clear downwards slope going on. TLJ made 300m less than Force Awakens. And AFAIK toysales are also down noticeably. Well, we will see what happens with Ep9.

I’m too lazy to look, but I seem to remember hearing Solo had to make $400-$450 million to break even. The marketing costs were roughly $150 million IIRC and the movie budget was $250 million IIRC.

I’m too lazy to look, but I seem to remember hearing Solo had to make $400-$450 million to break even. The marketing costs were roughly $150 million IIRC and the movie budget was $250 million IIRC.

So, if the box office numbers also include global profits then Solo is in big trouble.

Back