Disney To Re-Release Theatrical Cuts Of The Original Star Wars Trilogy

Actually if I ran a multi billion dollar company, I would release them on the fourth of a month, for free. The rest of the days the customer would pay to see it. Then its still a win win.

well if they put these out on bluray I will buy them. I refuse to buy and the "improved" versions

Disney is the best thing that happened to Star Wars in decades.

Yep but it didn't even have to be Disney necessarily. Any way to get Star Wars out of George Lucas' hands could only be a good thing.

Been waiting a long time, just release them on Blu already...

I'd actually like to see cuts that have the improved special effects and some of the added scenes without the retarded changes. For example, I like the expanded dialog with the Emperor and some of the edits made for continuity's sake. What I don't like is the Han Solo / Greedo scene and "nnnnnnnnnO!" coming out of Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.

I'd actually like to see cuts that have the improved special effects and some of the added scenes without the retarded changes. For example, I like the expanded dialog with the Emperor and some of the edits made for continuity's sake. What I don't like is the Han Solo / Greedo scene and "nnnnnnnnnO!" coming out of Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi.

The ONE change I did appreciate was fixing how the emperor looked in the first film because they hadn't worked out his appearances by that point. Everything else, save for matte frame cleaning and jump cuts, should have been left alone.

Really?

Sad representations of what the movies were. So many stupid additions that were never needed.

I don't agree. I like the improved visual effects and some of the expanded scenes. The longer dialog between the Emperor and Vader in Empire Strikes back, the restoration of the Luke / Biggs scene, Mos Eisely's approach scene was much better, having actual windows in Cloud City, larger scale Death Star Battle in Episode IV, improved Wampa, and the expanded ending scenes in Return of the Jedi are all welcome additions. Changing scenes to have different meanings, or implications aren't welcome. I hated the Greedo shot first scene, the addition of Vader's scream in ROTJ, and the god awful dance number in ROTJ was useless as well. The comedic additions to the approach to Mos Eisley were stupid and didn't thematically fit the film.

I think if the changes I hated were stripped from the films there would be less complaining although there are still going to be "purists" who think the shitty 1970's effects shouldn't have been messed with.

I don't agree. I like the improved visual effects and some of the expanded scenes. The longer dialog between the Emperor and Vader in Empire Strikes back, the restoration of the Luke / Biggs scene, Mos Eisely's approach scene was much better, having actual windows in Cloud City, larger scale Death Star Battle in Episode IV, improved Wampa, and the expanded ending scenes in Return of the Jedi are all welcome additions. Changing scenes to have different meanings, or implications aren't welcome. I hated the Greedo shot first scene, the addition of Vader's scream in ROTJ, and the god awful dance number in ROTJ was useless as well. The comedic additions to the approach to Mos Eisley were stupid and didn't thematically fit the film.

I think if the changes I hated were stripped from the films there would be less complaining although there are still going to be "purists" who think the shitty 1970's effects shouldn't have been messed with.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts, oh lest we forget the transposing of dick head in for vaders ghost.. that shit needs to go.

They had animation to make the sticks that Luke/Obi Wan/Vader held look like light sabers. I don't care how they implemented the effect.
Yeah, I'm cool with them touching up the special effects. But please, no CGI in the theatrical cuts. If they want to do a side-by-side release again, that's fine. But us "purists" don't like the philosophy of adding tons of visual clutter to a scene to "enhance it" like the animals in the special edition Tatooine scenes. It's unnecessary at best and distracting at worst. I'd say more, but the Plinkett reviews describe it perfectly.

If you ask me?

I think Star Wars needs a reboot...

The original films are great, but lets face it: they did not age well. The effects and crap was an attempt to avoid a reboot, and they just made it worse.

Greed I get. Jedi? Meh. It's not an improvement, but I almost always quit watching just before or just after that (whenever Vader says, "it's too late for me, son"). If they cut the last 45 minutes of Jedi, it'd be a better film (albeit one without an ending).

I don't like that edition, because it means that one of Luke's best friends dies in the battle and there's no mourning after the battle. That one bugs me far more than little Jabba and Han.

I say release blu-rays of the movies and include both an unchangeded theatrical release (cleaned up and such is fine) and an altered version with improved effects. Everyone wins and more people will buy it.

I say release blu-rays of the movies and include both an unchangeded theatrical release (cleaned up and such is fine) and an altered version with improved effects. Everyone wins and more people will buy it.

I'd buy that, but I suspect there are a lot of people that want this version that don't want to pay for the extra copy. I think Disney will release countless versions of these movies. I'm just going to wait for the 4k versions. I've lived with my DVDs for a long time...I can wait for the 4k versions.

What I am seeing is everyone wants something different so Disney will be damned if they do....

I am excited to have a rerelease as I was born in 81, there is a little bit I missed out on. When they remade them years later it was garbage and I was disappointed and went home and watched the vhs set that I had. Star Wars and Star Trek fans are a difficult group to please no matter what happens. If they left star wars alone and did nothing with it, there would be outrage, they do what I have personally heard often (rerelease originals) then they get yelled at again.

Remember this guys before you get mad, the more they flaunt the original series, the more likely we are to get darkforces and xwing games again :)

No, it screams "Star Wars fans, we are listening!"

This!

I am for one, very happy, I have been holding off getting the original trilogy on bluray to avoid the George Lucas editions..... give me the original trilogy I know and love and still have VHS tapes of.

This is a business investment, and they're doing it for the money. But if the fans didn't want it, they wouldn't be doing it.

Who cares why they're doing it, we're getting it. Nothing wrong with Disney making a buck or millions giving us what we've been asking for.

Capitalism suck! Power to the people. They are greedy! (Insert whatever else here).

It's a business. Who cares if they milk it for all it's worth? That's their job! Most people's jobs are to make the business money or to support those that make the money. People don't go to work to do it for free. They do it for a paycheck. No matter how much they love it.

I'm glad this is happening. My kids are going to see it in the theater! And I get to see them in theater again, too!

Blu-ray would be nice, and I'm sure it's coming.

I definitely don't expect anything for free, though.

How many times can people buy the same fucking movie?

This is where you are greatly confused...Lucas kept CHANGING the fucking movie, ensuring it was not the same - but instead greatly inferior with each release.

But I can understand why you are confused, no one expects the creator of something to great as Star Wars to hate the fans as much as Lucas does.

For those who love Star Wars, I highly recommend the Harmy Despecialized Editions. A New Hope is at version 2.5, Empire Strikes Back at 2.0, and Return of the Jedi at 1.0 (soon to be 2.0().

They are the originals, touched up for cleanliness, magenta filter removed (yes Lucas, we DID notice that you put a magenta filter on everything on the DVD releases.), and yet some of the better special effects are kept (such as a planet surface from space looking far more awesome in the DVD release than in the VHS release).

Lucas gets a lot of grief regarding the changes but he did make some nice changes in regards to the special effects and audio...but yeah I still want the original theatrical cut on Blu-ray

I don't like that edition, because it means that one of Luke's best friends dies in the battle and there's no mourning after the battle. That one bugs me far more than little Jabba and Han.

Luke, throughout the entire trilogy has shown little to no emotion when people die. It happened with his aunt and uncle. I doubt he'd take the death of a friend any harder. It's just an odd quirk of the character. You could argue it's due to bad writing, but he's consistently portrayed this way.

Luke, throughout the entire trilogy has shown little to no emotion when people die. It happened with his aunt and uncle. I doubt he'd take the death of a friend any harder. It's just an odd quirk of the character. You could argue it's due to bad writing, but he's consistently portrayed this way.

Difference of opinion. I find that Luke is pretty emotional in the first film. Consider his reaction to Obi's death and he'd only known him for a short time. OTOH, Biggs was a childhood friend and they'd only been separated for (at most) a few years and kept in touch after Biggs left (I looked that stuff up, cause I'm not quite that nerdy about SW).

Regardless, this probably isn't a product for me. It is for some and I'm glad they're getting what they want.

Back