Disney Reveals Price, Release Date, and Content Plans for Disney+ Streaming Service

I hope everyone realizes that the price hike will happen sooner than later....Disney is going to tease everyone in with the $6.99/month and then once they have a couple million subscribers then they are going to incrementally increase the pricing. By the time they get to 50 million subscribers the price will be the same if not more than Netflix. I am sure Netflix will be responding to the price difference soon as well.

"I hope everyone realizes". Dude, there are like half a dozen, at least, comments talking about a price increase.

Wonder if they're going to make available, all of their older stuff. I'm talking the old Herbie moves, Apple Dumpling Gang, Computer that Wore His Tennis Shoes, etc.

Wonder if they're going to make available, all of their older stuff. I'm talking the old Herbie moves, Apple Dumpling Gang, Computer that Wore His Tennis Shoes, etc.

Oh wow herbie! Man last time I saw a herbie movie on 'modern' media it was on laserdisk!

Oh wow herbie! Man last time I saw a herbie movie on 'modern' media it was on laserdisk!

My mother had them, and a bunch of other old Disney movies of that era, recorded on VHS when I was a kid. I watched them so many times. I would love to revisit them, if they're on Disney+.

I would like to see them give us the ability to see what is all available without subscribing first. If all those old 60's and 70's movies are there, I'd be subscribing in a heartbeat.

I was against it philosophically at the beginning, but now it seems like the balkanization of streaming is inevitable. Soon we'll be right back to where we started with cable, except each "channel" has its own separate login and line on your monthly bill.
To be honest I don't want to give DIsney any (more) of my money, but there is a greater than zero chance I will end up paying for this, at least temporarily, given their catalog.

Not the same, because with cable you often (always?) have to pay a fee to activate or deactivate a premium channel. With this, you can pick up Netflix this month, Disney next month and CBS or Hulu after that. I keep saying htis, but once the Good Fight finishes the season, I'll get all access and watch all of Star Trek, The Good Fight (and presumably the Twilight Zone). I can justify paying 10 bucks (or whatever a month of CBS is sans commercials). Hulu I'll pick up for a month and watch Handmaid's tale. I've got to wait and see with Disney. It's possible they'll have so much solid content that you want to pay 70 bucks, but my gut says 1-3 months/year is good enough.

The problem is some seem to think streaming is cable and they must have every service all the time.

I have to admit I was planning on avoiding this but at that price point I'm pretty sure I'll sign up. Especially since they listed 4k/HDR as an option. The only other thing is it'd be nice if there was some kind of lock in price/duration. I feel pretty confident after the first year we'll start seeing price hikes similar or worse than Netflix.
I think they'll raise it once they get enough annual subscribers (whatever that is). Then they'll likely raise it a buck a month, but it depends how quickly it's adopted, but might stick with annual prices, because there's gotta be others like me that are thinking of getting it 1-3 months/year, binge content, then cancel.

If the movie is for sale on Blu Ray, I expect it to be streamable.
That's not how it will work. Just like in the past, there will be a Theater window, a PPV/Rental/Buy the Disk window and then it will go to disney +. As I recall, that was explicitly stated in the Business Insider article.

The fact that Malcolm In The Middle is finally being made available is news of it's own! It's been stuck unreleased with the amount of copyrighted music in it.

Just saw this at IMDB. Mandalorian alone will be worth it for me. Sad part is hearing it's only 8 episodes. Sounds like it should've been 22-24 instead, oh well.

edit: BTW, I had that R2 in the ad and my dog, and most of the family, hated those sounds.

Just saw this at IMDB. Mandalorian alone will be worth it for me. Sad part is hearing it's only 8 episodes. Sounds like it should've been 22-24 instead, oh well.

edit: BTW, I had that R2 in the ad and my dog, and most of the family, hated those sounds.

Seems like most streaming shows are 8-13 episodes/season. I think Netflix' OA was 8 episodes as well. The only one I can think of (on Netflix) that's significantly more is the new Sabrina show, which I think is around 20 episodes for S1 (but it was broken up into 2 parts, fall 2018 and spring 2019).

Eh. The typical American 22-24 episode season leads to too much filler and makes shows stretch out season-long plots far too much. Not to mention it means stretching the budget out more as a 20+ episode season is not going to have the per-episode budget of an 8-13 episode series. 8 might be a bit short, but it depends on exactly how much story they have to tell.

I agree with you both. Wife and I watch a lot of Brit/Canadian shows and their series/seasons are often 6-8 episodes. Sometimes seems like just enough, sometimes it seems like they should've been closer to 12-13. On the other hand with a 22-26 U.S. season there's often at least 4 episodes filler. We watch quite a bit of Netflix. Netflix had mostly started with that 6-8 or so format but in the last year or so has changed quite a bit with 10 or more. With them, though, the pattern I noticed quickly with many shows is the numbing slow start that usually takes 3-5 eps and then a wrap up which might last 2-3 episodes. I often have to control myself to not just watch the 1st two and then skip to 5 or 6.

With this show's large amount of talent involved it seems like 8 is too short. I agree about the issues of a bloated season or budget but even 10 would've been nice or even a split season of 6 in the fall and then another 6 in the spring.

I smell the death of HBO's service price and Netflix's recent price hike will go over like a lead balloon.

I smell the death of HBO's service price and Netflix's recent price hike will go over like a lead balloon.
Unlikely. Disney makes very little R rated content. Unless they change that, they'd be incapable of making a Game of Thrones and a good chunk of Netflix' content would be R content.
I think people are on a budget, but they may be willing to rotate services. Now whether most are like me and just keep netflix year round and sample others or they go with Disney and Amazon Prime (or Hulu) year round and sample others. I'll look at Disney's content at launch, but I'm pretty happy with Netflix and I'm all but certain I won't subscribe until the initial batch of shows has completed season 1, which will mean i'm out till 2020.

But maybe I'm not the norm...I just don't see why one would stick exclusively to a single service, when you can pick them up and drop them with only a small penalty (of a slightly more expensive monthly fee)...and no penalty for dropping and adding Netflix.

Not interested unless they have:

1. Proper soundtracks (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D)
  2. Proper 4K and HDR, not "lite" versions (and don't you dare auto adjust the stream for my speed if I ever select 4K)

Also, even though it mentioned no commercials or advertisements, it better not have ANYTHING. I don't care about your other services or shows. If I hit play, it better damn well immediately start at the beginning of the movie, no intro and no fluff. I will give a pass for movies that use the original THX intro because that was just cool. I hate when watching on Amazon Prime, the first thing it shows is that you are watching it on Amazon Prime.

If I hit play, it better damn well immediately start at the beginning of the movie, no intro and no fluff.

Hadn't considered that. Looking back at Disney's avalanches of ad's on all physical media from VHS to now I've got some major doubts they'd allow a simple play option. I'd expect or at least hope they'd give an option like netflix to click to skip intro's etc.

Unlikely. Disney makes very little R rated content. Unless they change that, they'd be incapable of making a Game of Thrones and a good chunk of Netflix' content would be R content.
I think people are on a budget, but they may be willing to rotate services. Now whether most are like me and just keep netflix year round and sample others or they go with Disney and Amazon Prime (or Hulu) year round and sample others. I'll look at Disney's content at launch, but I'm pretty happy with Netflix and I'm all but certain I won't subscribe until the initial batch of shows has completed season 1, which will mean i'm out till 2020.

But maybe I'm not the norm...I just don't see why one would stick exclusively to a single service, when you can pick them up and drop them with only a small penalty (of a slightly more expensive monthly fee)...and no penalty for dropping and adding Netflix.
All I was saying is raising prices at the other services right now is not wise with the new powerful guy coming in so much cheaper.

All I was saying is raising prices at the other services right now is not wise with the new powerful guy coming in so much cheaper.
Well that ship has sailed ;) Seriously, I'm not sure it'll matter. at 7/month or 70/year, Disney is ridiculously cheap for those that really want it. Of all the streaming services, Disney is the easiest to take on as a secondary service (unless you were going to get Prime for shipping and video is a "free" add on).

I think disney will likely be a very different type of service. For me I need to see the quality and quantity of content. As it stands, Netflix is solid and I feel like it's still worth the price, but I do hope they keep prices locked at where they're at for the foreseeable future (and I think they will, because to some degree their competition is really HBO NOW, though netflix has a better UI, higher resolution and HDR and HBO doesn't).

We might see some clues 12 to 18 months from now, but I can imagine most not having to make a big decision until Disney starts raising it's price to the breakeven point.

Not interested unless they have:

1. Proper soundtracks (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D)
  2. Proper 4K and HDR, not "lite" versions (and don't you dare auto adjust the stream for my speed if I ever select 4K)

Also, even though it mentioned no commercials or advertisements, it better not have ANYTHING. I don't care about your other services or shows. If I hit play, it better damn well immediately start at the beginning of the movie, no intro and no fluff. I will give a pass for movies that use the original THX intro because that was just cool. I hate when watching on Amazon Prime, the first thing it shows is that you are watching it on Amazon Prime.

Does anyone have DTS:X or Auro-3D (which I've never heard of)?
What's HDR lite?

As for ads, tough call. If they go the netflix route, they won't. If they go the HBO GO/Now route, they will. I don't care (too much) if it's like HBO, since it's easy to move past it on my Xbox, but obviously Netflix is generally better (but sometimes it is nice to see there's a show I didn't know about that's available on HBO).

When has HBO ever had to lower thier service price?

They haven't...but now that Thrones is done, how will they keep their current subscribers AND attract new ones? Sure they have some good shows in the works....but will it be enough? Westworld was OK....but it was slooooowww....and I haven't even started the second season of it.

They haven't...but now that Thrones is done, how will they keep their current subscribers AND attract new ones? Sure they have some good shows in the works....but will it be enough? Westworld was OK....but it was slooooowww....and I haven't even started the second season of it.
Same thing that happened after Sopranos, something else will come along. Sure they might lose a few people, but the next big thing will bring new ones.

There's multiple Game Of Thrones spinoffs in the works. Likely a teaser trailer will be shown during the last few episodes of GoT or after the last episode to transition the audience.

There's multiple Game Of Thrones spinoffs in the works. Likely a teaser trailer will be shown during the last few episodes of GoT or after the last episode to transition the audience.

"in the works" doesn't really mean anything. The only GoT spinoff they've committed to so far is ordering the pilot episode of the prequel. Not a full 6-10 episode series...the pilot. And they haven't even started filming it yet, so a trailer is highly unlikely.

"in the works" doesn't really mean anything. The only GoT spinoff they've committed to so far is ordering the pilot episode of the prequel. Not a full 6-10 episode series...the pilot. And they haven't even started filming it yet, so a trailer is highly unlikely.
A lot of people will want to watch (binge) the entire show once it's finished. It's very long tho so even binging it will mean they'll be hooked by the time the spinoff comes. lol

Did their subs fall last year when there was no GoT? Whatever happened, that's the answer. My guess is they have enough other shows that people will continue to subscribe, but I've never owned Time Warner (or AT&T), so I never paid attention.

Personally, I loved Westworld. Can't wait for S3 (though I really need to re-watch S2 (maybe just re-watch both seasons).

Back