Disney Reportedly Eyes Twitter For Potential Buyout

HardOCP News

[H] News
Could you imagine how Twitter would be if this rumor ends up being true? To be honest, Twitter doesn't seem like a good fit for Disney to me. Then again, what do I know? I didn't think Marvel or Star Wars were a good fit either. :(

If there's smoke, there must be fire. In this case, the heat centers on a Twitter purchase as Walt Disney becomes the latest company rumored to eye the stagnating microblogging service, according Bloomberg News. The report Monday follows CNBC's story last week that several tech companies, including Google and Salesforce, would soon make formal bids for Twitter.

I don't see it fitting either. Disney is an entertainment company. Twitter is not.

It amazes me that people don't understand the breadth and scope of Disney. When people think of Disney all they think of is kid's movies and cartoons and theme parks. What they don't realize is that's just what they put the "Disney" name on. They have their hands in a helluva lot more than that under names that don't bear the "Disney" name.

People don't realize that they brought us such adult films as Good Morning, Vietnam, The Sixth Sense and The 13th Warrior. They also don't realize their investments range from GoPro to Photobucket.

Disney owns ABC. That alone gives him all kinds of stuff, like ESPN, Eurosport, etc.

Personally, I think Twitter fits with Disney. It's just them moving into a new medium, which is what they're all about really. Hell, I can already see microtransactions for it. Get these Mickey emoticons for $5 for a pack of 30 emotes. All the while, they spam you news, ads, etc.

They just have to figure out if they want to keep it family clean or let it stay adult like.

Twitter needs to go to someone who doesn't need to make money off of it, so Microsoft and Disney are good fits because they can controller how information gets out about their products. Google would work well for Twitter too.

So they see all that money twitter is losing and figure they gotta get in on that action by spending a billion+ to buy them out? I don't see the updside for them.

Lets see...
NBC & Comcast
ABC & Disney & Twitter

Mega-companies are all aligning themselves up to control content delivery.

Control how the masses see information and you control everything. 1984

So they see all that money twitter is losing and figure they gotta get in on that action by spending a billion+ to buy them out? I don't see the updside for them.

When a company is looking at a buyout of a floundering company, it's because they see value in the brand and believe that better management can turn the brand around.

The question that needs to be asked is 'why is twitter losing money'.

If the answer is that twitter has a solid core business that can be milked for a steady stream of revenue than Disney should buy it (this is basically what Yahoo is, a solid core search business that wastes tons of money trying to 'innovate' and grow the business).

If the answer is that twitter will continue to hemorrhage money even after it's been pared down than Disney shouldn't buy it.

edit: We would need to know what value Disney could derive from the MASSIVE amount of data that twitter collects on its users. If this data could be used to drive product development in other segments it may be worth taking the hit.

Disney is a media company. I think Twitter fits with their portfolio fairly well. I don't think it'd be profitable, though. Just a waste of money if you're looking to make money. Twitter is a nice service if you use it. But, it's not profitable...

Back