Disney Pulls Access to Purchased Christmas Videos

HardOCP News

[H] News
What kind of crap is this? Seriously, this has to be some kind of mistake....right?

Disney has decided to pull access to several purchased Christmas videos from Amazon during the holiday season, as the movie studio wants its TV-channel to have the content exclusively. Affected customers have seen their videos disappear from their online libraries, showing once again that not everything you buy is actually yours to keep.

Yet another reason buying a disc and ripping it to a media server/NAS is always a better option.

If you don't control the cloud you have nothing.

That is beyond fucked up if its true.

Disney calling pirates thieves while stealing paid content from their buyers. What nerve.

I hope this is just somehow a screw up. Maybe Amazon meant to just disable renting...not streaming for people who purchased the movies before.

It's still bullshit in form or factor. Disney needs their asses ripped for this, asking for online content to removed so they can show it exclusively on their channel. Pretty much a big fuck you to their customers.

Woah, this is pretty screwed up. Lawsuit in 3...2...1...

It was intentional. They make you "think" you own it but clearly you don't. More like a long term rental on their terms.

And when you upload anything to a remote Cloud based storage, you are giving someone else access to the info and ownership rights. Read all the terms....

I could MAYBE see Disney pulling sales of the video during the period. Though, on second thought, that's kinda dumb too. As someone who watched it on the Disney Channel would probably want to buy it right then.

But yanking already-bought content?
Iger and company require a swift kick in the goolies for this one.
Once for every person affected.

Yet another reason buying a disc and ripping it to a media server/NAS is always a better option.

+1

Run your own cloud, at least then you are responsible for you own info and have greater legal protection.

Definitely a lot cheaper if you are the type who doesn't mind waiting 18-24 months for that $24.99 movie to be bargain binned for under $8 though.

Pretty shitty of Amazon to go along with this too.

This is one thing I fear with "purchased" digital content. The other one is (however unlikely short term), for whatever content reseller you purchased your content from goes out of business.

Deck the halls with pirated Disney movies,
Yarr ar ar ar , ar ar ar ar.
Tis the season to be seeding,
Ha he he he he, he he he he.

Like others said, this is why I stick with physical media for music, game and movies that I want to continue to have. I go digital for stuff that I am ok with having it lost forever.

As your digital copies can be taken way like this without any warning.

I wonder if Ultra violet copies of these movies had the same issue.

Disney acts like pirates. So we shall do the same. Fucking Beauty and the Beast Blu-Ray costs over 60 bucks.

We're seeing our movie, one way or another.

One of many reason's I will always stay off the cloud. In time they will also call me a loon because everyone will be on the cloud except me.

I thought I was a reformed, honest citizen. Now, where did I put that hook and eyepatch?

Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding, I struggle to believe anyone (even Disney) is that fucking retarded.

Yet another reason I don't use this Netflix or amazon stream crap other than the horrible picture and around quality.

Its garbage

Yet another reason I don't use this Netflix or amazon stream crap other than the horrible picture and around quality.

Its garbage

if you have horrible picture and quality with Netflix then that is an issue on your end.

Its garbage

with netflix and Amazon Prime you know what you are getting into... monthly rental of a group of titles. It is know some are removed and some are added all the time.

The issue here is people supposedly "purchased" these titles. It would be a whole different thing if Amazon offered rent for 3 days and "rent for as long as content holder wishes you access".

And the really messed up part... Amazon "purchased" content isn't that cheap, you can usually find the disks for less.

Skip the buying part and you're closer to truth.

Another reason not to EVER buy anything again from these thiefs.

You think you were going to have access to these movies forever?

Bah humbug!

If I were Walt,I'd be haunting the money hungry Scrooges running the company like Jacob Marley. They've turned it into yet another heartless corporation with no conscience that will stoop to any underhanded methods to fill their coffers. Ironic that they now own the Star Wars franchise,since they joined the Dark Side long ago.

Yea, this is absolutely nothing like Netflix or Prime.

This is akin to me purchasing a Kindle book for my ipad, and then finding out a few weeks later that the publishing company decided to pull the title from my library. I didn't make a broad deal for content; I paid for that title specifically. How the fuck is this allowed?

This is one thing I fear with "purchased" digital content. The other one is (however unlikely short term), for whatever content reseller you purchased your content from goes out of business.

They don't even have to go out of business. Sony and Yahoo Music have already proven this.

And people want the cloud because....? This is the reason why the cloud is such a bad idea. You own nothing. It's not your stuff. They do what they damn well please because they are corporations, and they want your money. Stop giving them power. Seriously.

And this goes for Disney and Amazon, cause either way Amazon should have said no.

frabz-cloud-computing-another-money-spinner-transfer-of-cash-they-will-9e7c19.jpg

Welcome to the world of "licensing". Where you are buying a license to the content and not the actual content. There's probably a clause in their ToS (Disney's) that they can revoke said license at any time for any reason.

This goes for Games as well. All our games and personal info, time played..etc.. are in Steam's cloud.

On gizmodo, looks like amazon may have replied with

"What you are referring to was a temporary issue with some of our catalog data and it has been fixed. Customers should never lose access to their Amazon Instant Video purchases. If they have any issues accessing purchased videos, they should contact customer service."

Didn't this happen on itunes before as well and it was a glitch?

Disney just doesn't even care about PR anymore.

More Disney Douchebaggery (tm).

Back