Disney may be resurrecting Lucasfilm Games

And they also let go most of their staff look at their current expenses. Like 1/4 of their 2019, and yeah firing all that staff is rough but at this stage it’s a kindness. The alternative was to just put them all on 0 hour shifts like many other places did which invalidate their ability to apply for any government assistance as they are still employed.
I could easily see Disney wanting to get into the Esports there’s money to be made there and it’s a growing market and they already own all the facilities for their own branded tie-in’s. Between their partnership with Twitch and their ownership of ESPN they could highlight it pretty heavily, all while promoting their teams on their various shows.
Yeah imagine publishing and have teams. That’s like being able to make rule changes to football and owning a foundational franchise.

Disney NEEDS to restart lucasarts or disneyarts. I’d be outraged as a shareholder if they spin that business off.

Just bring back 1 server for Starwars Galaxies. enough people will play to keep the small project somewhat profitable, probably not in the millions of $ but will make a profit.

Y'all are way off.
eidolon.jpg

has brought them to the brink of bankruptcy with the decline of business related to the pandemic.

That sound completely hyperbolic to me.

I think you can expect shortly to see Disney start selling off IP bigtime
Also really dubious, IP tend to be more valuable to Disney than it would be in the hand to others (they are much more equip to make money from an IP than most), that why it make sense for others to sell them IP versus the other way around.

'Clownfish TV'
let just say looking at the pictures, that is not a Financial Time or Morningstar analysis......

That sound completely hyperbolic to me.

Also really dubious, IP tend to be more valuable to Disney than it would be in the hand to others (they are much more equip to make money from an IP than most), that why it make sense for others to sell them IP versus the other way around.

let just say looking at the pictures, that is not a Financial Time or Morningstar analysis......
So you get that Bob Chapek was selected as CEO to replace Bob Iger because of Chapek's reputation for ferocious cost-cutting and doing everything 'on the cheap', right?
Why do you suspect that was? Do you think Chapek was going to have a change-of-philosophy with his newfound CEOship and embrace the classic-Disney-thinking, or perhaps did the company realize they were in way over their head and needed to do something about it?

And before you answer, remember that Chapek became CEO pre-pandemic.

I really enjoyed the game Outlaws first person wild wild west shooter from 1997.

Reactions: MrC4
like this
So you get that Bob Chapek was selected as CEO to replace Bob Iger because of Chapek's reputation for ferocious cost-cutting and doing everything 'on the cheap', right?
Just before we continue, how much money have put in a bet (or considering too) that Disney will declare bankruptcy in the near future (say next 5 year's) ? Is this really a serious claim and not an hyperbole ? You really think there is a significant chance Disney declare bankruptcy soon ? Are they not simply turning Disney will face many challenge and will not be as profitable for a while, is vastly over-evaluated to their opinion and risk to underperform the stock market to being close to bankruptcy ?

And one argument is that before the pandemy that guy with is incredible track record :
Bob Chapek division under is control spending looked like this:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...a/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html

Disney Is Spending More on Theme Parks Than It Did on Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm Combined

Mr. Chapek called the overall growth plan “enhancement on steroids.” Here is a look at what Disney is doing and why — along with the risks involved in such an aggressive undertaking.

Maybe he was spending at a good price and pressuring cost down but he was spending and expending a lot.

Got named CEO and he has a reputation of keeping cost low and rising price, someone that would have not been named CEO if Disney was not in big trouble after discovering they vastly overrated the value of what they bought from Fox, to a point that it did put Disney in danger ?

Maybe you are right, but I would prefer to see some argument around their asset to debt ratio and other solvency ratio that look to be still better than their competition/industry average
https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NYSE/Company/Walt-Disney-Co/Ratios/Long-term-Debt-and-Solvency

I mean it would not be the first time the market greatly miss something, but that is quite the extraordinary claim that require strong evidence to entertain.

Just before we continue, how much money have put in a bet (or considering too) that Disney will declare bankruptcy in the near future (say next 5 year's) ? Is this really a serious claim and not an hyperbole ? You really think there is a significant chance Disney declare bankruptcy soon ? Are they not simply turning Disney will face many challenge and will not be as profitable for a while, is vastly over-evaluated to their opinion and risk to underperform the stock market to being close to bankruptcy ?

And one argument is that before the pandemy that guy with is incredible track record :
Bob Chapek division under is control spending looked like this:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...a/disney-invests-billions-in-theme-parks.html

Disney Is Spending More on Theme Parks Than It Did on Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm Combined

Mr. Chapek called the overall growth plan “enhancement on steroids.” Here is a look at what Disney is doing and why — along with the risks involved in such an aggressive undertaking.

Maybe he was spending at a good price and pressuring cost down but he was spending and expending a lot.

Got named CEO and he has a reputation of keeping cost low and rising price, someone that would have not been named CEO if Disney was not in big trouble after discovering they vastly overrated the value of what they bought from Fox, to a point that it did put Disney in danger ?

Maybe you are right, but I would prefer to see some argument around their asset to debt ratio and other solvency ratio that look to be still better than their competition/industry average
https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NYSE/Company/Walt-Disney-Co/Ratios/Long-term-Debt-and-Solvency

I mean it would not be the first time the market greatly miss something, but that is quite the extraordinary claim that require strong evidence to entertain.
No, I don't think Disney is going to declare bankruptcy because I think they're going to start selling off properties (e.g. Star Wars/etc.) As I said in my previous post.

I do believe that Disney put themselves in a terrible financial position by getting suckered into paying WAY too much for Fox (suckered by NBC/Comcast/Universal - a main competitor).
I also believe Disney sealing-off and ceasing construction on an in-progress major expansion attraction 10 months away from their 50th anniversary speaks to exactly where they are financially. You disagree and don't believe there's anything untoward there. We'll agree to disagree.

There's news from Disney nearly every day that shows exactly how bad they're hurting. Two days ago it was Magical Express. Today it was the cessation of their Annual Pass program for DisneyLand.
Ultimately they'll survive, but they're not going to come out on the other side looking like they do today.

And accounting analyses are all well and good, but there are any number of shortcomings and limitations with them (not to mention inherent conflicts of interest).
It's my personal opinion that the typical Wall Street Analyst report doesn't tell the whole story. I don't really want to debate that, so we can agree to disagree on that point also.

Last edited:
You disagree
Not sure we do disagree that much if you say: No, I don't think Disney is going to declare bankruptcy, that my feeling that: has brought them to the brink of bankruptcy, was an hyperbolic statement, specially if you feel that selling relatively small asset like Star Wars would be what could solve some cashflow issue.

Disney hates to pay any liscensing fees.
Would they not own both LucasArts and LucasFilm Games equally ?

Not sure we do disagree that much if you say: No, I don't think Disney is going to declare bankruptcy, that my feeling that: has brought them to the brink of bankruptcy, was an hyperbolic statement, specially if you feel that selling relatively small asset like Star Wars would be what could solve some cashflow issue.

Would they not own both LucasArts and LucasFilm Games equally ?
They don’t have a cash flow “problem” they still managed to turn a profit in 2020, they still have 23B cash on hand and their assets still greatly exceed their debts. They are not anywhere near close to any brink of needing to sell things off unless they are flat out lied during their last investors meetings.

LucasFilm Games was the original studio that ran from 82-90, its name changed in 1990 as part of a reorganization. When Disney shuttered Lucas Arts after their purchase, they didn’t close it entirely it still exists as the licensing arm of of the Lucas Acquisitions (Starwars, Indians Jones, etc), primarily to EA. By opening up a new subsidiary in this case LucasFilm Games they get to play some contractual loophole fun times to get out of some contracts early and bring back ownership of the brand back to Disney. Question is are they then going to start contracting out again or are they going to spin up internal development using the Disney Interactive Studios.

They're just publishing it, not developing.
MachineGames are the developers, they made the recent Wolfenstein games.

Todd Howard is producing it. Not a good sign. That guy dumbs-down everything he touches to oblivion.

Can we retcon it? Never was interested in the MMO

/Wishful thinking
I played through all the class stories to level 50 and played some classes through level 70 if memory serves but I've had no real desire to go back and play the game. I still would have preferred a KOTOR 3 over the MMO.

Back