Disney may be resurrecting Lucasfilm Games

Resurrecting brand language + revived Lucasfilm Games banner + the "developed in collaboration with the finest studios across the industry", make it sound like they will keep the actual game studio and development close.

Probably will get involved in the roadmap, stories and so on but not make the games. And I imagine they were already doing this ? So just start to use the sticker again since enough time has past since they closed the studio that it will not create an turmoil of ex just fired employee to use it ?

Fallen Order was the only good game to come out of EA having rights to the license. That's a high ratio of misses to hits for a franchise that's lost its way with the core fan base.
I still dabble with Old Republic its fun and the episodes are pretty good

And Squadrons is fun, I mean I suck at it but I can get a few games in here and there. Would love to try it in VR.

Fallen Order was the only good game to come out of EA having rights to the license. That's a high ratio of misses to hits for a franchise that's lost its way with the core fan base.

Agreed. I still fire up Jedi Academy and the Force Unleashed series from time to time. I'm undertaking my second run-through of Fallen Order now.

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1349023307228704770?s=09

1610468894838.png

1610485994284.png

Last edited:
All I have been asking for is an "remastered" version of the x-wing/tie fighter series. I still have the originals and play them from time to time but would like to see updated graphics and controls. I guess the closest thing would be squadrons at the moment.

All I have been asking for is an "remastered" version of the x-wing/tie fighter series. I still have the originals and play them from time to time but would like to see updated graphics and controls. I guess the closest thing would be squadrons at the moment.
is squadrons any good? I've been looking for a game like warhawk, which was unfortunately really short lived it seems.

We’ve been begging for years it seems like.

HOTAS and VR support would be ideal.

They should call themselves disneyarts

Squadrons is the closest thing to the OG games at the moment.

Except I recall being fairly good at X-Wing and TIE Fighter, whereas I suck at Squadrons.

Not sure whether that's because it is legitimately more difficult or my older age, or both!

Squadrons is the closest thing to the OG games at the moment.

Except I recall being fairly good at X-Wing and TIE Fighter, whereas I suck at Squadrons.

Not sure whether that's because it is legitimately more difficult or my older age, or both!
Everybody recalls being fairly good at x-wing vs tie fighter, it wasn’t particularly hard. That said all the people who played it and were pretty good also play Squadrons. So time invested by some is extreme like damned how they have that much free time.

Awesome! I can't wait for Disney to destroy my fond childhood memories of LucasArts in the same way that they destroyed my fond childhood memories of the Star Wars movies!

Really curious to see how the Indiana Jones game fares. Clearly it won't be an old-school adventure game, but it would be great to see an Uncharted-style game that... uses the character who inspired Uncharted. And why am I not surprised that the modern Wolfenstein studio is involved in a game that will probably involve punching and shooting lots of Nazis?

They're just publishing it, not developing.
MachineGames are the developers, they made the recent Wolfenstein games.
That makes me feel better. As shitty as Bethesda is they are pretty hands off and let developers do their thing at least for the most part.

so are we going to get even more SJW content in our games?
I think exactly the opposite.
Disney is hurting for money. Bad.

DisneyLand (Anaheim) and Disney Cruise Line (DCL) will have been closed for a full year come March, with the other Disney Parks worldwide having been 'off and on' for the year.
They're still in the hole billions on Disney+ (streaming) by my count, and won't be making money for a while.
Worse of all (and not commonly known) is that Disney's Acquisition of Fox has brought them to the brink of bankruptcy with the decline of business related to the pandemic.

As it relates to the OP, I think you can expect shortly to see Disney start selling off IP bigtime.
I expect that the Star Wars franchise and the Marvel Universe (among others) will be sold off to the highest bidder with licensing agreements for Disney to use the IP in Parks&Resorts for some indefinite length of time.

So the resurrection/renaming of the gaming division (likely in preparation for selling off) makes perfect sense to me, given the above narrative.

DisneyLand (Anaheim) and Disney Cruise Line (DCL) will have been closed for a full year come March, with the other Disney Parks worldwide having been 'off and on' for the year.
They're still in the hole billions on Disney+ (streaming) by my count, and won't be making money for a while.
Worse of all (and not commonly known) is that Disney's Acquisition of Fox has brought them to the brink of bankruptcy with the decline of business related to the pandemic.

As it relates to the OP, I think you can expect shortly to see Disney start selling off IP bigtime.
I expect that the Star Wars franchise and the Marvel Universe (among others) will be sold off to the highest bidder with licensing agreements for Disney to use the IP in Parks&Resorts for some indefinite length of time.

So the resurrection/renaming of the gaming division (likely in preparation for selling off) makes perfect sense to me, given the above narrative.
No, Disney is still sitting on massive cash reserves and is still managed to pull down 8.5 B in 2020, down from their usual 22B but still not bad. They have also managed to refinance all their existing loans to a far lower interest rate. Disney can weather this for a while yet. During their last investors meeting the most were upset at Disney for having too large of a cash reserve and not having reinvested or bought back shares with it previously.

Last edited:

No, Disney is still sitting on massive cash reserves and is still managed to pull down 8.5 B in 2020, down from their usual 22B but still not bad. They have also managed to refinance all their existing loans to a far lower interest rate. Disney can weather this for a while yet. During their last investors meeting the most were upset at Apple for having too large of a cash reserve and not having reinvested or bought back shares with it previously.
The 10K filing looks healthy from a 30k’ glance. Might not be a bad time to buy some Disney stock actually.

10K filing is done with the SEC. I think I’ve linked directly to operational expenses but if I didn’t you can use the hyperlinks in the table of contents.

https://sec.report/Document/0001744489-20-000197/#i6261866521954ef19f64de03269f40a7_61

No, Disney is still sitting on massive cash reserves and is still managed to pull down 8.5 B in 2020, down from their usual 22B but still not bad. They have also managed to refinance all their existing loans to a far lower interest rate. Disney can weather this for a while yet. During their last investors meeting the most were upset at Apple for having too large of a cash reserve and not having reinvested or bought back shares with it previously.
I haven't studied in detail, but recall that Disney took out an additional $11 Billion in debt to dal with the COVID situation. That was over and above the Fox deal, which already had them shaky.

The 10K filing looks healthy from a 30k’ glance. Might not be a bad time to buy some Disney stock actually.

10K filing is done with the SEC. I think I’ve linked directly to operational expenses but if I didn’t you can use the hyperlinks in the table of contents.

https://sec.report/Document/0001744489-20-000197/#i6261866521954ef19f64de03269f40a7_61
There's the 10K and then there's reality. This year is Walt Disney World's Fiftieth (50) Anniversary. To celebrate, they've sealed off and ceased construction on what was to be one of their prized expansion projects commemorating the event. Not exactly indicative of an organization flush with reserves.

I certainly won't give you stock advice (nor should my posts be construed as anything BUT baseless speculation!) but there's a good YouTube channel called 'Clownfish TV' that has outlined how Disney is much worse off than they ae publicly letting on over the past few months.

As a FL Resident, I can tell you that they've cut to the bone and beyond, including hugely popular amenities such as the Magical Express (most recently) which basically made the vacationing tourist 'captive' to spend all of their dollars on Disney Property.

When you're cuttings thins like *that*, it shows how bad the situation is. IMO. YMMV

I haven't studied in detail, but recall that Disney took out an additional $11 Billion in debt to dal with the COVID situation. That was over and above the Fox deal, which already had them shaky.
While sitting on close to 22B in cash reserves and then managed to write that 11B loan down to an interest rate so low they may actually be profiting off it.

While sitting on close to 100B in cash reserves.
Disney does NOT have $100 billion in cash reserves.
Apple - yes. Disney, no. (and actually I think Apple is close to $200 billion...but think about that. Disney is 1/2 of Apple? After purchasing Fox, etc. No...)

edit: I just checked. Disney had $5.5 Billion in cash reserves at the end of 2019. I think you're confusing millions and billions...

Disney does NOT have $100 billion in cash reserves.
Apple - yes. Disney, no. (and actually I think Apple is close to $200 billion...but think about that. Disney is 1/2 of Apple? After purchasing Fox, etc. No...)
That was a typo I quickly corrected as of August 2020 it was just shy of 22B.

From their 3rd quarter financial report.

Disney is reporting they’ve ended their third fiscal quarter with $23 billion in cash reserves. While some might say this is an excessive amount of money to have on hand, Disney Chief Financial Officer Christine McCarthy explains, “We remain laser-focused on prudently managing our cash outflows and preserving liquidity.”

There's the 10K and then there's reality. This year is Walt Disney World's Fiftieth (50) Anniversary. To celebrate, they've sealed off and ceased construction on what was to be one of their prized expansion projects commemorating the event. Not exactly indicative of an organization flush with reserves.

I certainly won't give you stock advice (nor should my posts be construed as anything BUT baseless speculation!) but there's a good YouTube channel called 'Clownfish TV' that has outlined how Disney is much worse off than they ae publicly letting on over the past few months.

As a FL Resident, I can tell you that they've cut to the bone and beyond, including hugely popular amenities such as the Magical Express (most recently) which basically made the vacationing tourist 'captive' to spend all of their dollars on Disney Property.

When you're cuttings thins like *that*, it shows how bad the situation is. IMO. YMMV
I mean without getting too far out into the weeds. Their media business for television has grown 20% from 2018 ---> 2020.

Keeping amenities rolling that aren't going to be utilized doesn't make a ton of sense. I mean they fired a lot of the waiters in their hotels/restaurants that they didn't bring back as well. The parks bring in ~8%, but also cost a significant amount to repair.

The video game division could make billions fairly easily and really become the third pillar to their business, and fourth pillar once the theme parks are reopened.

Rockstar made $6 billion from one game, without development costs. I think Lucas and Disney could do all of that. Pull in Mickey and crew-- Kingdom Hearts sold 30 million units.

I mean without getting too far out into the weeds. Their media business for television has grown 20% from 2018 ---> 2020.

Keeping amenities rolling that aren't going to be utilized doesn't make a ton of sense. I mean they fired a lot of the waiters in their hotels/restaurants that they didn't bring back as well. The parks bring in ~8%, but also cost a significant amount to repair.

The video game division could make billions fairly easily and really become the third pillar to their business, and fourth pillar once the theme parks are reopened.

Rockstar made $6 billion from one game, without development costs. I think Lucas and Disney could do all of that. Pull in Mickey and crew-- Kingdom Hearts sold 30 million units.
And they also let go most of their staff look at their current expenses. Like 1/4 of their 2019, and yeah firing all that staff is rough but at this stage it’s a kindness. The alternative was to just put them all on 0 hour shifts like many other places did which invalidate their ability to apply for any government assistance as they are still employed.
I could easily see Disney wanting to get into the Esports there’s money to be made there and it’s a growing market and they already own all the facilities for their own branded tie-in’s. Between their partnership with Twitch and their ownership of ESPN they could highlight it pretty heavily, all while promoting their teams on their various shows.

Back