Disney Made A Wall-Climbing Robot

That's actually cool. Wonder if it could do same on ceiling. I'd buy that rather overpriced BB-8

Huh...at first I thought it isn't climbing but, that's based on the assumption that to climb you have to be holding onto the ground. This thing just uses air pressure from non-traditional propulsion system to make it "stick" to the wall. Doubt it can handle going across a ceiling, I imagine if the fans are powerful enough to do that, the thing could just fly...and that makes it a flying drone with giant wheels.

Huh...at first I thought it isn't climbing but, that's based on the assumption that to climb you have to be holding onto the ground. This thing just uses air pressure from non-traditional propulsion system to make it "stick" to the wall. Doubt it can handle going across a ceiling, I imagine if the fans are powerful enough to do that, the thing could just fly...and that makes it a flying drone with giant wheels.

Or it could be more about Energy conservation, it may have the lift potential to stick to the cieling, but rolling along the ground uses a lot less power improving battery life over sustained flight.

So it could potentially roll along a ceiling inverted if it needs too to get around an obstacle. While not being capable of actual flight.

It also requires less balance to move along a ceiling or wall, than sustained flight so center of mass and lift fan locations are less important.

As an engineer -- this is pretty fucking cool. There's a lot going on here with this device -- a lot of cool stuff :)

Pretty cool, kinda surprise Steve didn't go about his robot killing human tirade.

The skyscraper window cleaner syndicate has met their match.

What does Disney need this for? Its cool, but what practical use?

Probably for practical effects. Although CGI will continue getting better, you still run into that uncanny valley.

Not quite, it only has two fans. It may be able to pin itself against the ceiling, but not actually have a stable flight. It needs one more fan for xy control mid-air.

Not quite, it only has two fans. It may be able to pin itself against the ceiling, but not actually have a stable flight. It needs one more fan for xy control mid-air.

It already has control on the X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) axis, it needs Z axis (Depth/rotate) control. That can be done by modifying the exist fans to rotate on Z or, like you said, an additional fan oriented horizontally to push the "tail" end on the Z axis.

Back